Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Deneb, DMA working, some issues and questions  (Read 1905 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
New Deneb, DMA working, some issues and questions
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
I have gone absolutely bonkers with joy.  Yesterday, I received a new Deneb from another AO user and installed it in my A4000 desktop, updated Poseidon to v4.4 and installed firmware v9.  Today I got to play with it and am just giddy.

I now have a USB audio device for $10 (which is kind-of recognized by Poseidon, enough to know it has audio output and input and hand it over to AHI,) a network dongle, four-port USB 2.0 hub for $15, and next week I will replace my SCSI Zip drive with a USB card reader with an extra USB port.

Thanks to digging through this forum, and reading linked threads at Amibay and EAB, I have put enough of Poseidon into the Deneb to allow the USB keyboard and mouse to work at boot.

Things seem to work peachy, with a couple of exceptions.

First, a minor issue, I want to put all of the patches which necessitate multiple reboots into the Deneb to make my system only have to boot once and as quickly as possible.  My understanding is that I have the option of creating a custom Kickstart image or simply putting the necessary RomTag'd modules into the Deneb, correct?  Also, I use a Cyberstorm MKIII and would like to know if it's possible to avoid the initial reboot caused by the CS.

Secondly, I noticed that some USB flash drives cause the system to lock-up or crash-reboot when inserted.  One consistently, my 512MB Lexar JumpDrive Pro, and others only sometimes (1GB SanDisk Cruzer Mini, and 1GB Lexar JumpDrive.)  In all cases, having the device in the Deneb at boot allows me to use the device without issue, even remove it.  Anything I need to look at here?

In all, I friggen love this device.  Not that I thought I wouldn't.  But now I'm power hungry.  I want to see a Deneb v2 with more ports.  Yeah, I could use a hub or two, but not having another piece of equipment sitting on the desk with another brick power supply is very very nice.

I may have to invest at some point in USB for my 1200, as well.  The 2000 and 3000 don't really need it.  Yet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:53:07 PM by LoadWB »

Re: New Deneb, DMA working, some issues and questions
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
Quote from: LoadWB;622946
First, a minor issue, I want to put all of the patches which necessitate multiple reboots into the Deneb to make my system only have to boot once and as quickly as possible.  My understanding is that I have the option of creating a custom Kickstart image or simply putting the necessary RomTag'd modules into the Deneb, correct?  Also, I use a Cyberstorm MKIII and would like to know if it's possible to avoid the initial reboot caused by the CS.

The BlizKick package, as well as the 'guide for Afa_OS helped with this.  I was able to completely remove every patch up to SetPatch by loading the full Poseidon stack and various other modules.  The only thing I cannot circumvent so far is the initial reboot which is apparently caused by the CS MKIII.

I would appreciate if anyone has some insight on the last bit.

Secondly, I noticed that some USB flash drives cause the system to lock-up or crash-reboot when inserted.  One consistently, my 512MB Lexar JumpDrive Pro, and others only sometimes (1GB SanDisk Cruzer Mini, and 1GB Lexar JumpDrive.)  In all cases, having the device in the Deneb at boot allows me to use the device without issue, even remove it.  Anything I need to look at here?

After setting up the FlashROM, I found that having the flash drives plugged in at boot would cause the system to hang after apparently processing the majority of startup-sequence and user-startup, but before Workbench would load.  I have reluctantly moved to the PIO mode.  Things work fine, now.  I would rather have DMA, but apparently something in my system is lacking.

For my next magic trick, I will get a 250MB USB Zip drive working.  This has been a good bit of fun :)

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:17:52 PM »
Quote from: LoadWB;623046
After setting up the FlashROM, I found that having the flash drives plugged in at boot would cause the system to hang after apparently processing the majority of startup-sequence and user-startup, but before Workbench would load.  I have reluctantly moved to the PIO mode.  Things work fine, now.  I would rather have DMA, but apparently something in my system is lacking.

Looks like problem resolved.  I thought I had a Buster 11, but I found the Buster v9 RomTag and installed it into the Deneb FlashROM.  Since doing so, everything is running stably, and doing so has also removed the buzzing and scratching sound when using Amplifier to play MP3s from a USB stick through the USB audio device.

Beautiful.  Just beautiful.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:05 PM »
Cool, sounds like you got it under control. It is a unique card. Everything should have FLASH ROM I think now after using one for awhile.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
Quote from: TheGoose;623150
Cool, sounds like you got it under control. It is a unique card. Everything should have FLASH ROM I think now after using one for awhile.

Getting along quite well, thank you!  Yes, it would be nice to have more FlashROM-equiped devices available.  Having Kickstart patched and various useful modules loaded at boot is really nice.

I have only two things which continue to vex me at this point: the Cyberstorm accelerator reboot, and how I am going to mix the output of Paula and the USB audio.  I have considered using the input of the Picasso IV to perform the mixing, but I may just put the USB audio output on the CD-in header of the 4000D motherboard.

One other thing I would like to do is get Poseidon to recognize the network adapter presented by my Sony Ericsson K850i so that I can use it natively in Miami.  I can use both of the serial ports via usbmodem.device, but for some reason when I dial-in I can get an IP address and DNS information, but no gateway.  Would rather use the network port the same as the PC does; doing so would make things much easier for me.