Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Even More News About The X1000!  (Read 3841 times)

Description:

Offline MaximvsPayneTopic starter

• Show only replies by MaximvsPayne
    • http://www.facebook.com/maximvs.payne
Even More News About The X1000!
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
London, 10th March 2011

Following the AmigaOne X1000 Update article in the current edition of "Amiga  Future" magazine we asked Adam Barnes, the Technical Director of Varisys, to  provide an official Nemo progress report.

"From the horse's mouth"

We have had some problems with procurement of certain items for the revision  2 Nemo board which delayed our production plan by about 4 weeks. The situation  was not helped either by the Chinese New Year celebrations.  However, I'm  pleased to report that these difficulties have now been overcome. We've had one  remaining issue with supply of the onboard PC99 audio connector. The best  delivery we could obtain for the existing connector type was a minimum order  quantity of 10,000 pieces and a lead time of 12 weeks. We had an option for a  direct replacement which has 6 jacks (enough for 5.1 analogue out) but  unfortunately the Taiwanese supplier did not respond to our communications. Our  alternative compromise plan was a triple jack which would support simple stereo  audio out through the back panel, with header pins on the board to support 5.1  audio for users who want this feature. However, this was not our preferred   option and eventually we managed to source an almost identical PC99 HD audio  connector from an Italian company to satisfy our demand for all the Beta test  boards.

We already have enough PA6T CPUs in hand and we have also secured supplies of  the SB600 south bridge chip and various other long lead parts, with deliveries  of all due on or before the 15th of this month, in sufficient quantities for the  current schedule of revision 2 beta test boards. Typically, the production time  from full kit to assembled boards is 10 days for small batches (the 5 off for  approval). This timescale will be confirmed once the kit is issued out for   build. The estimated lead time for the balance of beta test boards will be   around 20-25 days based on standard PCB fabrication and assembly lead times.

Barnes also confirmed he was in the process of writing up a technical brief  of the new dual-core XMOS subsystem. This will include a block diagram and   pinouts so prospective end users can start working on the XMOS side of things.

A-EON Technology CVBA
aros>aros>aros>aros>aros>aros>aros>aros

NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER GIVE UP

Free & Fresh AROS Distributions:

Icaros Desktop: http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/
AROS Broadway: http://www.aros-broadway.de/
AspireOS: http://www.arosaspire.org/

aros 

Offline krashan

• Hardware designer and programmer
    • Show only replies by krashan
    • Personal homepage
Re: Even More News About The X1000!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:15:02 PM »
At least someone with a clue delivered bare facts. What is sad, that it had to be forced with MooBunny gossips...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:15:28 PM by Krashan »

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »
My thanks to Adam Barnes, Varisys, and Aeon for keeping us informed.
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline Boudicca

• Show only replies by Boudicca
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »
Quote from: JC;620943
My thanks to Adam Barnes, Varisys, and Aeon for keeping us informed.

Ditto.....

That sounds to me like a production run, not some marketing waffle from a fake CUSA photo mockup
was Enterprise Vault (Its an Exchange Fail!), now its EMC Avamar, Dedupe for mostly everything including brain cells.

Offline ddniUK

• Show only replies by ddniUK
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 07:11:01 PM »
This is not an original moobunny post.
It is an official email from Aeon, sent out to those people who registered for news updates.

The fact it showed up on moobunny was simply a cut n paste job.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:31:53 PM »
Quote from: Boudicca;620949
Ditto.....

That sounds to me like a production run, not some marketing waffle from a fake CUSA photo mockup

Even though I'm a MorphOS user, I've always cautioned posters on this forum to take Varisys seriously.
I've been in contact with them for a few years (previous to their connection with A-eon) and their staff is knowledgeable, professional, and experienced in the design and production of PPC based boards (and they work with other processors as well).
When I was examnining the idea of producing an MPC8640/8641 based motherboard their staff was very helpful in offering advice and the option to assist (as they'd already designed systems based on that Freescale processor).
They recommended the Freescale  QorIQ processor as an alternate to the e600 CPUs I was examining (and did not recommend the PA6T because of difficulty in obtaining them).
When I saw the first photos of Nemo and noticed that it used the same Southbridge I was considering (the AMD SB600) I immediately suspected Varisys' involvement with A-eon's project.
Currently I'm examining the latest 64bit  QorIQ processors the P5010 and P5020. These or their sucessors are likely candidates to replace the PA6T in future A-eon projects.

It's nice to see the company back on track and ready to deliver a higher performing motherboard to the AOS market than has previously been available.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline amoskodare

• Show only replies by amoskodare
    • http://m4rko.com/amiga
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »
Thanx for the report :)
C128 + Action Replay, A500+ (KS1.3/KS2.0), A1200, A1200/040, Amiga Forever 2008+09+2016, Amiga Future subscriber, Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), 5 x86/x64 boxes
AmigaOS 4.1 FEu1 on Sam440ep-flex/800MHz/1GB RAM/Radeon 9250 :afro:
AOS4.1 FE Update 1 for Classic (on WinUAE PPC)
m4rko.com/AMIGA

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:58 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;620965
Even though I'm a MorphOS user, I've always cautioned posters on this forum to take Varisys seriously.
I've been in contact with them for a few years (previous to their connection with A-eon) and their staff is knowledgeable, professional, and experienced in the design and production of PPC based boards (and they work with other processors as well).
When I was examnining the idea of producing an MPC8640/8641 based motherboard their staff was very helpful in offering advice and the option to assist (as they'd already designed systems based on that Freescale processor).
They recommended the Freescale  QorIQ processor as an alternate to the e600 CPUs I was examining (and did not recommend the PA6T because of difficulty in obtaining them).
When I saw the first photos of Nemo and noticed that it used the same Southbridge I was considering (the AMD SB600) I immediately suspected Varisys' involvement with A-eon's project.
Currently I'm examining the latest 64bit  QorIQ processors the P5010 and P5020. These or their sucessors are likely candidates to replace the PA6T in future A-eon projects.

It's nice to see the company back on track and ready to deliver a higher performing motherboard to the AOS market than has previously been available.

What would be nice is A-Eon paying for official ports of both MorphOS and AROS to this board.

"One board to unite them all!" ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:12:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621072
What would be nice is A-Eon paying for official ports of both MorphOS and AROS to this board.

"One board to unite them all!" ;)

With the money they've received from ?  I guess you mean at some time in the future.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;621161
With the money they've received from ?  I guess you mean at some time in the future.

Nah, Trev's got more money than sense apparently as he's funding this all by himself by most accounts.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621169
Nah, Trev's got more money than sense apparently as he's funding this all by himself by most accounts.

No, he has a long time business partner involved that is not into the Amiga scene.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
Quote from: dammy;621172
No, he has a long time business partner involved that is not into the Amiga scene.

Still, that's access to more funds than CUSA have.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 02:15:11 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621174
Still, that's access to more funds than CUSA have.

I think you will regret those words in the not too distant future.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
Varisys doesn't even merit a Wikipedia entry....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »
Quote from: persia;621183
Varisys doesn't even merit a Wikipedia entry....

I think you'll find the vast majority of companies in the world don't merit a Wikipedia entry. Your point?