Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Native 68k Netsurf  (Read 35524 times)

Description:

Offline utri007Topic starter

Native 68k Netsurf
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I really don't understand, why not...

1. Netsurf has proven to work with low-spec machines
2. It would be happy thing to both UEA and real machine users
3. Workin browser for amiga os 3.9 ???? would it make you happy?

Chris ported Netsurf to OS4 and this is what he said about 68k possibility:

"Actually it's relatively easy. If you start with the OS4 frontend, you should be able to get it working on OS3.9 with Reaction fairly quickly. There are a few things that need backporting (I have used a lot of new OS4 calls, but most have OS3 equivalents). A couple of major changes:
fonts code - probably needs to be rewritten to use ttengine.library (I already have a ttengine.library version of this code somewhere, needs updating and fixing though)
plotters - need to be rewritten to work on 8-bit screenmodes (this needs doing for OS4 too).

I wrote a little more detailed list of changes required on the dev mailing list, if you want to seek that out.

Even starting from scratch, new (basic) frontends have been written in a matter of weeks."
ACube Sam 440ep Flex 800mhz, 1gb ram and 240gb hd and OS4.1FE
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN
A500 OS2.1, GVP+HD8 with 4mb ram, 1mb chip ram and 4gb HD
Commodore CDTV KS3.1, 1mb chip, 4mb fast ram and IDE HD

Offline wawrzon

Re: Native 68k Netsurf
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:44:18 PM »
then why dont you make this port yourself? ive looked into the source some time ago and it wasnt *so* easy (for me). but then ive been making mostly only sdl ports if anything.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Are any of the existing amiga based ports (mos/os4) using mui/reaction and other "native" code paths, or are they relying on SDL backend for most everything? While I understand a real 68k machine wont be up to the task for some online content Im sure theyre capable of a better browser experience than is available. I do actually kinda like IB/Aweb/Voyager, but the technologies behind them are really starting to show thier age.
Netsurf seems the most likely candidate for a light sort of browser for classic amigas, but despite having gotten better than the earlier 68k versions, it's probably still a little heavy for a real amiga (and needs rtg to run at all). Only way to redeem that I guess is to "amiga-fy" it a little more.
Semi off topic, but I used to like using the 68k mac broser iCab under shapeshifter a few years ago when I was amiga only (classic + amithon). Unfortunately from what a friend says the sands of time have caught up with it too and it no longer displays a lot of pages well. I'll get around to checking it out myself again one day when I get the time though, if just for nostaliga  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Khephren

• Show only replies by Khephren
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
Isn't the sourcecode available for Aweb? Might be better updating something that runs OK on classic, rather than trying to pour a quart into a pint glass.

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:27:50 PM »
The problem, much probably, is finding a 68k Amiga coder with a proper experience (sadly too tought for my programming skills and experience).
The divisions inside our community is one of the reasons for these difficulties finding passionate and skilled people.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »
Quote from: utri007;620164
I really don't understand, why not...

1. Netsurf has proven to work with low-spec machines
2. It would be happy thing to both UEA and real machine users
3. Workin browser for amiga os 3.9 ???? would it make you happy?

Chris ported Netsurf to OS4 and this is what he said about 68k possibility:

"Actually it's relatively easy. If you start with the OS4 frontend, you should be able to get it working on OS3.9 with Reaction fairly quickly. There are a few things that need backporting (I have used a lot of new OS4 calls, but most have OS3 equivalents). A couple of major changes:
fonts code - probably needs to be rewritten to use ttengine.library (I already have a ttengine.library version of this code somewhere, needs updating and fixing though)
plotters - need to be rewritten to work on 8-bit screenmodes (this needs doing for OS4 too).

I wrote a little more detailed list of changes required on the dev mailing list, if you want to seek that out.

Even starting from scratch, new (basic) frontends have been written in a matter of weeks."

http://m68k.aminet.net/package/comm/www/NetSurf-m68k
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
@nicholas
That is a non native port (SDL). The thread is about a native port due to the extremely high resource requirements for a 68k Amiga that the sdl port needs.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;620182
@nicholas
That is a non native port (SDL). The thread is about a native port due to the extremely high resource requirements for a 68k Amiga that the sdl port needs.

Yes, I was pointing the OP to the source code so he could get started on porting it to Gadtools. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
i dont think that after so many years of non activity aweb is any good base for an updated browser. any initiative in amiga scene has to be undertaken with some future perspective in mind. if anyone even magically manages to compile a browser who is going to constantly maintain and update it like fab does.

thats why the only feasable approach, that has been proven working is to rely on a third party maintained core adding only some gui to it.

now what concerns netsurf there are three amiga frontends:
- arturs enchanced 68k sdl port
- chris reaction os4 frontend
- and abandoned itix' mos mui frontend.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:52 PM »
my proposal would be to resign on netsurf for the time being. yesterday i have checked a few provided aros contributions under winuae aros 68k, and most are working fine. also zune improves in terms of compatibility. most examples and bigger os3 programs like yam, nowined, scout already work correctly. im waiting for someone to compile aros owb for 68k. then the bounty to update zune might be taken, and mos owb port started.

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »
also since yesterday nightly aros directory listing speed improved considerably thanks to new png loading procedures. also there is an approach to allow aros 68k executables to run out of the box on aos. i dont know how well it is already working though.

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
All: Please notice that Netsurf requirements are 30MHz ARM 6 computer with 16MB of RAM.

That  just to point out that AWeb won't be better option. OWB and Firefox won't be either, they would require too much for real amigas.

If some body could pick up this project, I belive that he would get help he needs. At least Chris has some interest to help, so OS4 reaction frontend would be good choice to start, but Mui frontend would allso option, I belive that Itix has helped Arthur and/or coder could start from scraths.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:54:15 PM by utri007 »
A1200 Micronic tower, OS3.9, Apollo 060 66mhz, xPert Merlin, Delfina Lite and Micronic Scandy, 500Gb hd, 66mb ram, DVD-burner and WLAN.
A1200 desktop, OS3.9, Blizzard 060 66mhz, 66mb ram, Ide Fix Express with 160Gb HD and WLAN

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 08:52:58 PM »
im not sure if there is so much difference in requirements between netsurf qnd owb. there is efika version of fabs owb, and his last release is reported to be yet significantly faster.

itix helped artur so far i know with more general stuff, but his mui frontend isnt up to date anymore. it doesnt make sence to pick up this task for someone that doesnt know what he is doing, without significant help.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:12 PM »
start a bounty. I'd certainly contribute. No offense aweb and ibrowse blow.

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »
I would contribute also, could somebody who has a more experience to start it? It would also need lots of advertising.

Working web browser would be essential, I really don't understand why people are not more interested about this. They rather arguing and whining pointless things and spread their positive attitude all over them. <- sarcasm