Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HxC SDCard Floppy Emulator  (Read 5735 times)

Description:

Offline nicholasTopic starter

HxC SDCard Floppy Emulator
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:36:57 PM »
Phwoarrr!!!!! :lust:

It  is very smart device, designed by Jean-François DEL NERO. It allows you  to emulate any 34 pins floppy disk drive. The SDCard HxC Floppy  Emulator can replace different kind of floppy disk drive and allows you  use SDCard media instead of floppy disk. This emulator is actually used  on Amiga, Atari, CPC, PC computers, different keyboards and samplers,  CNC machine tool, and scientist instruments.

The full list of supported host computer/instruments are on the project website:
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#FILESSUPPORTED

For questions and new host support request :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/

Technical details :

Floppy interface:

• HE10 34 pins floppy connector :
  • Shugart compatible mode supported.
  • PC compatible mode supported.
  • Tested on PC, Atari ST, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Thomson, MSX, ZX Spectrum series computers.
  • Two floppy disk drives emulation
Power supply:

• 5V +/- 10% standard power floppy connector input.
User Interface:

SDCard support:

• SD Card up to 2GB.
  • SDHC Card supported up to 32GB.
  • (10Mhz SPI bus mode. Average byterate: ~500KB/s)
SDCard Filesystem

• FAT32 supported. Subdirectory and long name file supported.
List of supported file images type:

• ST, MSA, ADF, ADZ, DMZ, CPC DSK (standard and extended)
  • CopyQM DSK, Oric DSK, IMG, SMC,MSX DSK, IMD, Zx Spectrum DSK, BetaDisk TRD,
  • BetaDisk SCL, Thomson TO8D SAP, Thomson TO8D FD, PC88 D88, x68000 HDM (beta), x68000 XDF (beta), custom raw floppy geometry…
  • An AmigaDOS or FAT12 floppy disk image can also be generated from spares files.
Read / Write support:

• Track mode based floppy emulator (Full track pre-encoded in the HFE image file)
  • Read support: Most of existing formats (FM/MFM/Amiga track...) supported.
  • Custom tracks supported.
  • Write support: ISO MFM 256/512/1024Bytes sector write supported.
  • Write support available on Amiga computers  
Floppy bitrate supported:

• 250/300Kbits/s (DD floppies)
  • 500Kbits/s (HD floppies)
  • (others bitrates possible)
Note  : Variable bitrate not supported. So protected floppy disk image (IPF  and STX file format) file support will be only partial ! If you look for  a device supporting IPF / STX please a have a look to the USB HxC  Floppy Emulator device)
http://lotharek.pl/4/product/info/3

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#SDCARDFloppyemulator
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: HxC SDCard Floppy Emulator
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 11:00:54 PM »
Wow... now I like that... :)

I began building my own one about 3 years ago as I never liked those compact flash ones but never got round to finishing it... :(

Although 75 euros is a bit steep cost me about £12 to build my one (without the LCD though) just needed a few more tweaks and testing and it should've worked quite nicely. Need to dig it out again and give it another go methinks... :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »
I don't have this, but I do have his other device which allows you to load up ADF images from your PC using a USB device:

http://lotharek.pl/4/product/info/4

Which I'm not a huge fan of. At first it worked, then I put it in storage, took it out to use again, and could only get it to work with 1 image, then it stopped all together claiming that all my images were corrupt.

I sent it back, he said it was fine and sent me another one and even paid shipping back.

The new one works, but I still find ADF images that it claims are corrupt, but work fine with UAE, RAD:, and so forth. So on that note I will say his customer support was great, but the device seems touchy.

I asked him why it would see ADF files as being corrupt that seem to work with everything else, but he never offered a theory.

Hopefully this SD device is less touchy.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Lurch
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:35 AM »
Have had one these for over a month, maybe two. Fantastic little device, been playing afew classics without the fear of my floppy drive or disks failing :D
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Franko

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:19:32 AM »
Quote from: Lurch;619929
Have had one these for over a month, maybe two. Fantastic little device, been playing afew classics without the fear of my floppy drive or disks failing :D

Can it handle original (copy protected) floppy images ie: not ADF but a perfect copy of an original game that's not in either Amiga Dos format or of the plain trackdisk type... :)

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:41 AM »
Have to convert the disk into the emulator format, so if you have the raw image or away of reading amiga disks on a PC then yes.

The software that you install on your PC lets you read raw images or a real amiga disk.

Even has a handy batch conversion :) 1.5.2.1 has the floppy disk dump option, which isnt shown on the website.

Don't regret buying it, brought my a500 back to being fun again :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:39:09 AM by Lurch »
-=[LurcH]=-
A500 Plus Black 030@40MHz 128MB | A1200T 060@80MHz 320MB | Pegasos II G4@1GHz 1GB  | Amiga Future Sub

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:38:46 AM »
Love the sounds that it makes, kinda sounds like a floppy but not. Nice little touch :)
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline Franko

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »
@ Lurch

Thanks for that info... :)

Think I may just buy one now as to me it would be easier than trying to find enough SubWay USB cards for all my Amigas and wouldn't involve the hassle of trying to fit it inside the miggy... :)

I don't own a PC but can easily enough convert anything I need to ADFs using the Amiga. Already got over 8000 ADFs and plenty of SD cards so this looks like it could be a very handy device indeed... :)

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »
Hmm, at the moment you have to convert the adf files to a format that the emulator can read. Which is the software that you run on your PC. Will have a read on their forums might be a solution for you.

Had a quick browse and I need to update my firmware etc lol :)
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline Lurch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »
-=[LurcH]=-

Offline Franko

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info... :)

I can get access to my sisters or nephews PC easily (as I don't think I can run the software on this iMAC), I'll need to read up on it though first, to see if it is going to be easy to use, or I think I'll have a go at building my own one again... :)

Offline Jeff_HxC

• Show only replies by Jeff_HxC
    • http://hxc2001.free.fr
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:33 PM »
Quote from: Franko;619940
Thanks for all the info... :)

I can get access to my sisters or nephews PC easily (as I don't think I can run the software on this iMAC), I'll need to read up on it though first, to see if it is going to be easy to use, or I think I'll have a go at building my own one again... :)

Hi,

In fact you can build a command line version for Linux and MacOsX from the sources :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/HxC_Floppy_Emulator_soft_src.zip

But i know that i should make an graphical Linux & Mac version (work in progress ;-) )

Jeff

Offline nicholasTopic starter

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:38:08 AM »
Quote from: Jeff_HxC;620248
Hi,

In fact you can build a command line version for Linux and MacOsX from the sources :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/HxC_Floppy_Emulator_soft_src.zip

But i know that i should make an graphical Linux & Mac version (work in progress ;-) )

Jeff

Thanks! :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:43 AM »
Sounds like this device works better than what I got. I hear not complaints. So now I'm thinking about selling what I got and upgrading. :)
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Jeff_HxC

• Show only replies by Jeff_HxC
    • http://hxc2001.free.fr
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;620499
Sounds like this device works better than what I got. I hear not complaints. So now I'm thinking about selling what I got and upgrading. :)

If i understand you are talking about the usb version?

If yes try to get the last software version, check the "Sync lost" counter into the status window. If this value increase, try to increase the "USB packet size".