Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NTSC DCTV work on PAL Amiga?  (Read 3677 times)

Description:

Offline tasmanian guyTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
NTSC DCTV work on PAL Amiga?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »
One night searching on ebay for Amiga stuff as one does, I came across a DCTV and purchased it.  

I then realised I was on the ebay.com web site and not ebay.com.au and realised it is NTSC (well it doesn't say it is but will assume it is).  

Is the hardware controlled by the software, that is if I use PAL software will that work with the DCTV or must I boot up in NTSC mode on the Amiga and use the NTSC software.

Don't ask why I purchased it, I guess I always wanted one back when I owned an Amiga 500 but I'm sure it will be fun to play around with!
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
Re: NTSC DCTV work on PAL Amiga?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
I have used DCTV and as far as I know it's only NTSC. I love the paint program.

If you can get your system to be NTSC, then you are good to go. Sorry I can't help with that. I'm an artist, not a HW geek.

btw: little known fact about DCTV
When we were making the HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon" we used DCTV to transfer Lightwave rendered files to video tape.
These LightWave files were the animatics (animated storyboards) of the Apollo capsules. They were sent to the director to decide how the final special effects would look like.

It was the last time we used Amigas in the company (except at home, of course). This was in the mid 90's
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline T3000

• Show only replies by T3000
    • http://www.rcfreas.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
DCTV really needs 2mg chip ram to work properly. A stock 500 will struggle tremendously with DCTV setup and stomp all over your funtimes. I tried long ago and ended up running it on an A2000 with 2mg chip, Supra28, 8mg ram, harddrive, etc. A second monitor for the output is also handy as the DCTV unit displays a composite signal. Not to mention, the capture is a slow scan and not an instant grab. The paint program was awesome for it's time.
Good luck.

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Well I forgot to add it will be running on my Amiga 1200 rack, with 030 50mhz and 64mb ram.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 02:38:48 AM »
I'll be testing one on a PAL machine soon and will try to remember to post the results here.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline slayer

• Show only replies by slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:10 AM »
I've got a few of these units and they have PAL stamped on the box end

I brought my first one from the Parts Warehouse in Auckland in the late 90s for $735.00+GST

Used to use Imagine to generate DCTV images and record them as Animations through DCTV hardware if I remember correctly
~Yes I am a Kiwi, No, I did not appear as an extra in \'Lord of the Rings\'~
1x AmigaOne X5000 2.0GHz 2gM RadeonR9280X AOS4.x
3x AmigaOne X1000 1.8GHz 2gM RadeonHD7970 AOS4.x

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
If i'm not mistaken, an a1200 is capable of selecting pal/ntsc video on the early startup. I think that switching to ntsc could let you use your dctv on a ntsc monitor/tv.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
Quote from: T3000;618995
DCTV really needs 2mg chip ram to work properly. A stock 500 will struggle tremendously with DCTV setup and stomp all over your funtimes. I tried long ago and ended up running it on an A2000 with 2mg chip, Supra28, 8mg ram, harddrive, etc. A second monitor for the output is also handy as the DCTV unit displays a composite signal. Not to mention, the capture is a slow scan and not an instant grab. The paint program was awesome for it's time.
Good luck.

Why would the DCTV need 2 meg of chip ram?  

The DCTV came out before the A3000 and 2 megs of chip

The DCTV uses the same 3-bit and 4-bit plane IFF that the Amiga uses.  The memory usage is similar to any standard OCS/ECS 8 or 16 color IFF hires or hires-interlaced image.  The decompression is done on the fly and does not require CPU.

The first line of the image has the compression information that the DCTV uses.  Just about any iff viewer, including deluxe paint, can be used to view DCTV compressed IFFs, as long as it shows the first line of the image.  However in you want you manipulate DCTV compressed IFFs you need a DCTV compatible paint program or image converter (like ADpro).

1 meg of chip is more than plenty for image viewing.  I used a DCTV with my A500 with 1 meg chip for years without any problems.  In fact you probably get away with 512k of chip ram.  If anything you probably need some fast ram.  A 1meg chip/2meg fast ram A500 or A2000 with a stock 68000 works just fine.

Where things get screwy with the DCTV is digitizing.  some 030, including the A3000, had timing problems with the digitizer.  This was suppose to be later fixed in software.

I do agree a second monitor is nice to have with the DCTV or RGB/composite button on a A1084 works well.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:07:28 PM by Motormouth »

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;652234
1 meg of chip is more than plenty for image viewing.  I used a DCTV with my A500 with 1 meg chip for years without any problems.

I got a DCTV for my A1000 recently after seeing clusteruk's vid on his A1000 with a DCTV, displaying PICs and VIDs.

So, my guess is, if you are an end-user just wanting to disply things (or maybe some basic conversion / rendering), even 512k CHIP will be OK..

Quote from: Motormouth;652234
I do agree a second monitor is nice to have with the DCTV or RGB/composite button on a A1084 works well.

That was something that confused me when I got my DCTV.  I thought it was broken.  :)  I couldn't see any DCTV images on my monitor normally.
(I didn't get any manuals with it, and I still haven't found any scanned ones online)

THEN I found out that it outputs DCTV images via it's composite output, not RGB.  So, I couldn't do some of those things without a second monitor or RGB/composite switch on the 1084...

Luckily I was able to acquire a DCTV RGB converter not too long ago, so I can see that flower pic in 24bit color.  ;-)

I haven't tried any digitizing on my DCTV / A1000 yet as I still haven't made my parallel port adapter.  (The A1000 parallel port is wired a bit different.. I didn't know that before I got my 1000...)

desiv

p.s.  I had a HAM-E for my Amiga 500 (512k CHIP) back in the day, but it was RGB only (well, it might have worked with a GENLOCK???  Never tried).
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 06:08:58 PM »
Well here's what I just amassed to play with:

SuperGen and SuperGen +
ChromaKey + (with blue screen).
DCTV
DCTV RGB Adaptor
Cannon Camera (actually I've had that for a while)

All NTSC, both my Amigas are PAL. Might have to buy a NTSC A600, will see.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Motormouth

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;652249

SuperGen and SuperGen +
DCTV
DCTV RGB Adaptor

All my Amigas are NTSC and my DCTV is NTSC, but my guess and this is only a guess, is the difference between and NTSC and PAL DCTV is probably on the Digitizing end, as timing is important.

Again I am guessing, but image viewing would probably be the same whether the image is PAL or NTSC.  It has been years since i used my DCTV, I should bring it out of storage, but I think I could display both PAL and NTSC  hires/ hires-lace on an A1084 monitor with it.

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »
Quote from: Motormouth;652251
All my Amigas are NTSC and my DCTV is NTSC, but my guess and this is only a guess, is the difference between and NTSC and PAL DCTV is probably on the Digitizing end, as timing is important.
Unless you have the DCTV RGB converter as well, your DCTV image output will be coming from the composite output on the DCTV unit.
I would expect that they will be generating NTSC output from there..

It's possible they just pull the timing from what they see coming out of the Amiga, but I have my doubts..

Will be interesting to see what the results of the test are..

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;652249

SuperGen and SuperGen +
DCTV
DCTV RGB Adaptor

To quote the Joker, "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

Seriously man, you get your hands on some of the coolest things!  Hope they work for ya! :)
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
I got it all, RGB Converter included. Should have everything in the mail from New York sometime this week. Will let ya'll know the results for sure.

It would be nice if I didn't have to buy another Amiga...

...well unless it were a 4000 or Natami of course. :)

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »
Well I can confirm it works fine on a PAL Amiga in NTSC mode, having said that I do "believe" that if someone can source me the PAL software, that it would work just as well!