Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What to expect from AmiWest for a Newbie?  (Read 2748 times)

Description:

Offline amigasocietyTopic starter

What to expect from AmiWest for a Newbie?
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
Never been to an Amiga show before.  Professionally I use Macs so used to rather large Macworld shows.  When I was an Atari in 80s and early 90s I did attened the World Of Atari show down in Glendale, CA.  My guess, this AmiWest show will be kind of like those smaller Atari shows of yesteryear, even though I understand this is the largest show in some-time.  

Just curious if a Amiga newbie not knowing much about Amiga can make this an all day event or is it just a hour or 2 walk-thru and then off you go?

Just curious is all.  I am only an hour away and thought it would be fun to attend for the heck of it.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline ferrellsl

Re: What to expect from AmiWest for a Newbie?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
I think you'll be a bit disappointed if you're accustomed to large MacWorld events.  I think your walk through will be substantially less than an hour.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »
I've been to AmiWest once back in 2003. That show was a coming out party for Genesi and quite a bit was going on. That said, it still was nowhere near what Macworld is. From what I hear, AmiWest is now much, much smaller than it was in 2003. That is not to say you won't enjoy yourself, just don't expect a really big function. Think small.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:42 PM »
They posted their presentation schedule. If you're into OS4 it might be worth your while, but didn't you sell your OS4 board a while back?

Schedule, three posts down:
http://amigaprez.wordpress.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:27:09 PM »
I far from expect it to be a Macworld.  :hammer:

I was more equating it to the World Of Atari shows from days gone by.  They were small but I had lots of fun.

I no longer own any Amigas.  I still have had an interest thought in something more modern like the upcoming X1000 or systems from A-Cube.

I would take it I can see both of these platforms close-up and get an idea if they still work into my interest for an Amiga of some-kind.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline number6

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:32:19 PM »
@amigasociety

My thread here on amiga.org concerning Amiwest:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54839

The Amiga President's blog that jorkany refers to is good, but I pulled both that information and information from posts elswhere and compiled it here

That thread will always be the most up to date of the lot, since I can only maintain updates in that one place.
Post #1 will always have the compiled information.
It's even got the menu for the banquet. Heh!

Offline number6

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
Quote from: redrumloa;585565
I've been to AmiWest once back in 2003. That show was a coming out party for Genesi and quite a bit was going on. That said, it still was nowhere near what Macworld is. From what I hear, AmiWest is now much, much smaller than it was in 2003. That is not to say you won't enjoy yourself, just don't expect a really big function. Think small.

Judging by the list of attendees, demos, and seminars plus additional coverage of MorphOS, Classic, Classic repair, the Friedens coming from Europe, Carl Sassenrath, Jamie, etc. etc. and the new record # of banquet tickets sold, I doubt this will be small.
However, I don't have the 2003 # you refer to, so I can't offer you that comparison.

Offline Trev

• Zero
    • Show only replies by Trev
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:01:17 AM »
@amigasociety

My walk-through in 2008 took all of five minutes. If you're not an introvert (I am), I think you'll find lots of friendly folks to talk to, and this year's show has an excellent guest list. If you plan to buy anything from AmigaKit, get there early. Matt's table clears out quickly.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »
@ amigasociety

If I were close to the show I would definitely go ! Lot's of stuff going on and you can talk one on one with many devs and also hardware suppliers....I personally have a lot more fun in a small crowd then in a loud noisy mess where everyone is in a rush

also, wouldn't surprise me if you run into some folks that helped you with your A4000T:cool:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 02:08:52 AM »
It's fun. It's my 3rd AmiWest and I can't wait to go this year. I'll bring my A1200 with my sick (non functioning ) Apollo 1240 to the Classic Clinic and see if it can be fixed! New location should make a huge difference!
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
Well, I am mostly interested in the X1000 and Acube systems and wanted to see them close up.  Maybe the talks they have during the day might be of interest also.

I plan on attending so we will see how it goes and I will report back once I attend my 1st show.

I used to enjoy the Atari World Of Atari shows and sure miss those days.

tj
AmigaOne A1222 (Tabor)
AmigaOne X5000

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:39:16 PM »
This sounds like a great show.

I was at the one in 2003 and that one was lots of fun.

since there's not a million people there, see if you can get your hands on some of the systems being shown. touching is always worth it

lucky you for being able to go!
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline djrikki

• Show only replies by djrikki
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
Although the two events are slightly different if its anything like the gathering at Bletchley Park I am sure you won't be disappointed.  I believe over 2,000 people turned up on the Saturday, but of course there was more than just Amiga to see.

Offline alfredbonnabel

• Show only replies by alfredbonnabel
    • http://www.alfredbonnabel.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 03:37:08 PM »
Sounds pretty fun. Are there any like events in the Eastern or Souther part of the US?
My blog on computers in general and my journey to Amiga at AlfredBonnabel.com.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:48:34 PM »
Quote from: alfredbonnabel;585684
Sounds pretty fun. Are there any like events in the Eastern or Souther part of the US?

No. All Amiga and/or Commodore shows are at least ~1300 miles or (much) more drive for me, which is why I have only been to one. I am in SOuth Florida...
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!