Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: amiga 500+ boot problem  (Read 1337 times)

Description:

Offline feanor76Topic starter

• Show only replies by feanor76
amiga 500+ boot problem
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »
hi i have an amiga 500+ that has a strange cold boot problem, when i first power it up all i get is a black screen and the floppy drive doesnt make any noise after about the 3rd attempt it wil come on fine and then works after any subsequent reboots

i recently changed the internal battery on it and there was a bit of leakage from the old battery although the board doesnt look that bad i did clean it best i could

any advice would be much appreciated

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
Re: amiga 500+ boot problem
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:59 PM »
sounds like a capacitor problem. also check the voltages first.
Better sorry than worry.

Offline feanor76Topic starter

• Show only replies by feanor76
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »
what voltages and capacitors do you suggest i check?

Offline ognix

• Show only replies by ognix
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
Hi!
It's A500 boot problems today!  :D  (just because I posted on a similar thread)

Well, it's difficult to say precisely, but despite not excluding a capacitor problem (but rare on non-SMD machine IMHO - never heard of it), I think it's something related to the motherboard and solderings nearby, since the leaking acid.

They may appear good, but they simply don't connect properly.
The fact that it works after some on-off switching, it's a sign of this problem in my experience.
Solderings are not very bad, but at the beginning they don't conduct properly: they need to be "stressed" by some voltage on them to start "working".
It may sound strage, but it happened to me in the past on other equipment (or they provide just an intermittent contact).

In my personal experience I had an A500+ from a friend of mine suffering of not booting problem with power LED blinking, and all of that was due to battery liquid leaking.
It ruined many solderings and contacts nearby, and I needed to make a few bridges around chips on the datapath (74LSXXX): solderings appeared ok, and PCB tracks too, but no real contacts (I had to check with a multimeter).
Everything solved, and I placed a button battery (CR2032) in it.

Hope you manage to solve (but you need some basics of electronics).

C U!