Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga production numbers  (Read 1284 times)

Description:

Offline mousehouseTopic starter

Amiga production numbers
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:26:45 PM »
I'm curious, as are many before me, in the number of Amiga's produced for the different types. After some Google'ing around I find that these numbers are very hard to come by, even after all these years.

I have only been able to find that wikipedia shows a A600 with S/N : 172851, which could mean that there have been at least 172851 of them produced...

Anybody?
A3000T

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Amiga production numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »
I've seen the numbers somewhere. Most produced is the A500, followed by the Amiga 1200.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
They admit it's a calculated guess, but see http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/sales.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
Those numbers indeed look like a guess... for one, for the Benelux (where I live) they give 45.000 Amiga's - compared to 1.5M for the UK. Back in the days *everybody* had an Amiga (or ST) and we had at least one good running national magazine, several big gatherings, so 45.000 seems off to me.

I read somewhere that in the best year, they sold more than a million A500's...

Any pointers for more material?
A3000T

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
Some interesting figures here:

http://jeremyreimer.com/postman/node/329

I think the real number is more like 7 million myself.

Offline Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
Quote from: mousehouse;584018
Those numbers indeed look like a guess... for one, for the Benelux (where I live) they give 45.000 Amiga's - compared to 1.5M for the UK. Back in the days *everybody* had an Amiga (or ST) and we had at least one good running national magazine, several big gatherings, so 45.000 seems off to me.

I read somewhere that in the best year, they sold more than a million A500's...

Any pointers for more material?

I know that CU Amiga was selling close to 60,000 copies a month at one point.  Try contacting the publisher of the magazine to see if they can provide you with sales figures for some research your doing.  I'd say that it's a fair bet that if magazine sales are anywhere near the 20-22,500 mark, more than 45,000 machines were sold.

Offline ajlwalker

• Show only replies by ajlwalker
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »
Quote from: Rob;584073
I know that CU Amiga was selling close to 60,000 copies a month at one point.  Try contacting the publisher of the magazine to see if they can provide you with sales figures for some research your doing.  I'd say that it's a fair bet that if magazine sales are anywhere near the 20-22,500 mark, more than 45,000 machines were sold.

To put that in perspective, Amiga Format sold over 160,000 copies per month at it's peak in the UK.  This was under two years before the demise of Commodore and at a time when the UK also had a few others selling in the high tens of thousands and even more selling in the lower tens of thousands a month.

Looking at that and the supposed UK sales figures, I'd say Benelux sales were way higher than 45,000.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
mousehouse was talking about the Netherlands with 45K, the figure for the UK was 1.5 million total.  Nobody know for sure but the numbers are coming out very close to the same, between 5 and 10 million Amigas world wide.

Amiga sales were always a secret at Commodore....or maybe they didn't know themselves, they were that kind of company.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Quote from: persia;584104

Amiga sales were always a secret at Commodore....or maybe they didn't know themselves, they were that kind of company.

That would not suprise me in any way indeed... In that case we need to setup a serial number database, and try to go from there!
A3000T