amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Operating System Specific Discussions Other Operating Systems Resource hungry operating system

Other Operating Systems This forum is to allow our members to discuss other (non-Amiga-related) operating systems.

View Poll Results: An operating system having twice the resource requirements of it's predecessor is:
A step forward 3 6.25%
A step backwards 24 50.00%
Don't care 7 14.58%
Other 14 29.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #41
Linde
Technoid
Points: 8,516, Level: 62 Points: 8,516, Level: 62 Points: 8,516, Level: 62
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Default Re: Resource hungry operating system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPolloDiabl View Post
Do you think an operating system having twice the resource requirements of it's predecessor for only a couple of extra features is a step forward or a step backward?
Do you have any real life examples of an OS doubling in resource requirements for "only a couple of extra features?"

To me, it sounds like you are talking out of ignorance of what happens between major OS revisions.
Linde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #42
ElPolloDiabl
Defender of the Faith
Points: 16,143, Level: 81 Points: 16,143, Level: 81 Points: 16,143, Level: 81
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linde View Post
Do you have any real life examples of an OS doubling in resource requirements for "only a couple of extra features?"

To me, it sounds like you are talking out of ignorance of what happens between major OS revisions.
One word "Windows" on just about every revision.
To a lesser extent Linux and Amiga OS from 3.1 to 3.9 and then OS 4.0.

If I was able to do everything I do now on an 8MB Amiga OS3.1 install and 16MB Windows 95 install what features am I getting now that take up 1GB+ RAM and a much much greater processor. I don't mind current web pages with flash taking up RAM and CPU cycles, but why does it need so much CPU and RAM just to idle the OS when you are playing a game.

Last edited by ElPolloDiabl; 10-09-2010 at 07:00 PM..
ElPolloDiabl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #43
the_leander
Desperately needs a life
Points: 16,397, Level: 82 Points: 16,397, Level: 82 Points: 16,397, Level: 82

Send a message via ICQ to the_leander Send a message via AIM to the_leander Send a message via MSN to the_leander Send a message via Yahoo to the_leander Send a message via Skype™ to the_leander

Quote:
Right, so you're complaining about 20 years of continuous development, with all the differences and developments in both hardware and software? 'kay.

Quote:
To a lesser extent Linux
Depending on what you want to do, you can still get Linux systems that are pretty damned small. A single floppy disk do for you?

Want a top end kde based desktop OS, with all the trimmings? You'll need a DVD, but you do at least get all your basic software (office etc) included in that.

Quote:
and Amiga OS from 3.1 to 3.9 and then OS 4.0.
Cleaning out the assembler and BCPL made AOS slower. Adding new functionality made it bigger.

Quote:
If I was able to do everything I do now on an 8MB Amiga OS3.1 install and 16MB Windows 95 install what features am I getting now that take up 1GB+ RAM and a much much greater processor.
Multi user support, memory protection, support for modern hardware, filesharing, network stacks, bluetooth, usb stacks, backwards compatibility with 15+ years of software in Windows case...

Quote:
I don't mind current web pages with flash taking up RAM and CPU cycles, but why does it so much just to idle the OS when you are playing a game.

http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
the_leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #44
Karlos
Sockologist
Points: 50,827, Level: 100 Points: 50,827, Level: 100 Points: 50,827, Level: 100
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
I don't mind current web pages with flash taking up RAM and CPU cycles, but why does it need so much CPU and RAM just to idle the OS when you are playing a game.
What exactly do you mean, "idle the OS" when playing a game?

We aren't living in the days when hardware was completely taken over by a single application and the OS evicted from the system. These days, games are applications that obey all the same rules as any other application. They run under the OS and use it to provide all the services (HID/graphics/audio/network etc) they need in order to function. The benefit to the game is that it doesn't need to know or care which hardware you are using, the OS sorts all that out for it. The OS provides abstracted access to the hardware.

So, when you are playing a modern game, the OS is doing plenty of work.
Core2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz / X48T / 4GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX275 / Linux x64, AROS, Win64
A1XE 800MHz / 512MB / Radeon 9200 / OS4.1
A1200T BPPC 240MHz / 256MB / Permedia 2 / OS 3.1 - OS3.9, OS4
A1200T Apollo 1240 28MHz / 32MB / Mediator1200 / Voodoo 3000 / OS3.9
A1200D Apollo 1240 25MHz (ejector seat ROM edition) / 32MB
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:23 AM   #45
ElPolloDiabl
Defender of the Faith
Points: 16,143, Level: 81 Points: 16,143, Level: 81 Points: 16,143, Level: 81
Activity: 80% Activity: 80% Activity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
What exactly do you mean, "idle the OS" when playing a game?
I didn't want to turn this into a Windows bashing thread... The example I'm using is the minimum system specs printed on computer game boxes. They have one minimum spec for Windows XP and another minimum spec for Windows 7/Vista. It is nearly double the CPU and double the RAM for 7/Vista.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #46
the_leander
Desperately needs a life
Points: 16,397, Level: 82 Points: 16,397, Level: 82 Points: 16,397, Level: 82

Send a message via ICQ to the_leander Send a message via AIM to the_leander Send a message via MSN to the_leander Send a message via Yahoo to the_leander Send a message via Skype™ to the_leander

Quote:
I didn't want to turn this into a Windows bashing thread... The example I'm using is the minimum system specs printed on computer game boxes. They have one minimum spec for Windows XP and another minimum spec for Windows 7/Vista. It is nearly double the CPU and double the RAM for 7/Vista.
You're aware that Vista, despite offering a less agile UI, often offers better framerates than XP does on more recent hardware, right?

http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
the_leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 AM   #47
Karlos
Sockologist
Points: 50,827, Level: 100 Points: 50,827, Level: 100 Points: 50,827, Level: 100
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Sure, but then again, under 7/Vista you get DirectX11 support. There are two interlinked issues here. Firstly, the minimum requirements for the game always include the minimum requirements of the OS. So, let's put that in context.

XP is over a decade older than 7. The change in machine specs between the two are actually not so bad. Twice the CPU power and twice the RAM? That's nothing. in that 10 years, the average (per core) CPU power has gone up about 8 times and installed RAM has certainly increased my more than a factor of 2.

Second point to consider is that many games these days use 3rd party engines that are designed to scale across different hardware.

If you are running XP with DX9, the chances are you are also running it on older hardware. Game engines will restrict all kinds of performance sensitive features when they run on such a configuration. A side effect of which is that they now require also lot less horsepower to run. If you want to sell as many copies as possible, you are not going to restrict your sales by failing to inform owners of older hardware that it will in fact run in half the RAM and with half the CPU requirements of somebody sporting newer kit where they can crank up the settings past what your machine is capable of (but requires that extra power to do so). That would be very foolish.

Shove the same software into a system with windows 7 / DX11 and the engine is free to use much newer features, some of which require many times more processing power, be it on the CPU or the GPU, than an XP/DX9 class machine had available.
Core2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz / X48T / 4GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX275 / Linux x64, AROS, Win64
A1XE 800MHz / 512MB / Radeon 9200 / OS4.1
A1200T BPPC 240MHz / 256MB / Permedia 2 / OS 3.1 - OS3.9, OS4
A1200T Apollo 1240 28MHz / 32MB / Mediator1200 / Voodoo 3000 / OS3.9
A1200D Apollo 1240 25MHz (ejector seat ROM edition) / 32MB

Last edited by Karlos; 10-10-2010 at 05:36 AM..
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #48
Linde
Technoid
Points: 8,516, Level: 62 Points: 8,516, Level: 62 Points: 8,516, Level: 62

Quote:
This just further proves my point. A "couple of new features," heh.
Linde is offline   Reply With Quote