Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga samflex 440ep startup-sequence  (Read 1862 times)

Description:

Offline atom-antTopic starter

• Show only replies by atom-ant
    • http://amiga.org
Amiga samflex 440ep startup-sequence
« on: September 26, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »
I have got myself in touble in the startup-sequence I added a line in C: SetPatch ADDCHIP 2 and can get in the startup-sequence and delete the C: SetPatch ADDCHIP 2 but can not save it please help
AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update1 running on AMCC PPC440EP with 1,024MB Memory and Radeon 9250.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
Re: Amiga samflex 440ep startup-sequence
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »
Save it as a new startup-sequence and then rename it ?

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »
How can I do this as all I get is the AmigaDOS SETPATCH: wrong number of arguments and when I type in ed s:startup-sequence and delete the line I added and click on top left nothing happens and I have turn the Amiga off and rebooted and the same screen comes back??????????????
AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update1 running on AMCC PPC440EP with 1,024MB Memory and Radeon 9250.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Quote from: atom-ant;581314
I have got myself in touble in the startup-sequence I added a line in C: SetPatch ADDCHIP 2 and can get in the startup-sequence and delete the C: SetPatch ADDCHIP 2 but can not save it please help

A bit more info would be handy. Why can't you save it? Does the system give any error when trying to save it? If so, what does it say?

Suggestions, beyond that which gertsy has already given:

Boot without startup-sequence and list the file to see if it has been write-protected. If it is missing the "w" flag, use the "protect" command to put it back and try editing it again.

Is the drive write-protected? Depending on your filesystem (FFS in particular), you may have invalidated your disk, in which case, you'll need to wait for it to validate before you can do anything. You can check this by running the "info" command.
int p; // A

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
How can I do this as all I get is the AmigaDOS SETPATCH: wrong number of arguments and when I type in ed s:startup-sequence and delete the line I added and click on top left nothing happens and I have turn the Amiga off and rebooted and the same screen comes back??????????????

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 02:37:14 PM »
Quote from: atom-ant;581320

Instead of typing that, type the following:

info

Is your system partition write enabled? If not, then your machine needs to validate the partition. If it says "validating" in the status column, just leave it for a while and periodically re-check. You can't write to a partition that is being validated.

If the partition is writeable, type:

list s:startup-sequence

Pay attention to the protection bits. The flags for rwd should at least be present (readable, writeable, deletable). If any of these are missing, type:

protect +rwd s:startup-sequence

and then list the file again to make sure they were set.

At this stage, your startup sequence is both editable and your partition is valid. To prevent weirdness, set up a minimal working environment typing the following:

assign env: envarc:
assign t: ram:

Now edit your startup sequence:

ed s:startup-sequence

This time, save it by pressing esc to bring up Ed's internal command line prompt (an asterisk) and type:

sa/s:startup-sequence.new/

then hit enter. This should save your file as a new file with the name specified.

Confirm this by typing

list s:startup-sequence#?

You should see both files and your newly edited one should have a different size if you have made modifications to it.

Now type the following:

rename s:startup-sequence s:startup-sequence.old

rename s:startup-sequence.new s:startup-sequence

then reboot.

Assuming you have no other problems with your startup-sequence file, this should work fine.
int p; // A

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
I have put in info and this is what comes up
Mounted disks:
unit size used
CD0: no disk present
DH0:
DH1:
ENV;
RAM:
Volumes available
RAM Disk: [Mounted]
Work: [Mounted]
OS4.1: [Mounted]
list s:startup-sequence
Directory "s:" on sunday 26-sept-10
startup-sequence            1001 --------rw-d 26-sept-10
Not sure as I put the line in protect+rwd s:startup-sequence than I get an unknown command
Just like to say I do not know a lot about the Amiga and just one more thing when I go into the ed s:startup-sequence and delete the line I put in the mouse freezes up and the keyboard.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 03:20:20 PM »
It's

protect +wrd s:startup-sequence

not

protect+ wrd s:startup-sequence

Anyway, this part is not the problem as your file appears to be writeable anyway.

You may be having instability caused by not running setpatch in the first place.

Reboot the machine. When it fails and drops you into a shell, type:

c:setpatch quiet

then

c:reboot fast

After the machine starts up again, you may find you can edit the startup-sequence file without it freezing up.
int p; // A

Offline number6

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
Quote from: atom-ant;581318

I don't understand what you mean by "click on top left".
To save the file after edit you just type "[escape key] x".

The format for adding chip ram in that line btw, is:
C:SetPatch QUIET ADDCHIPRAM=[number]

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »
Thanks very very much for your help all sorted and I used another mouse which seems to work and the mouse I was using has broken and again thanks for your help.