Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Kickstart Roms...  (Read 1678 times)

Description:

Offline x56h34Topic starter

• Show only replies by x56h34
Amiga Kickstart Roms...
« on: December 01, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »
Long after Commodore died, updates to 68k AmigaOS were released, however I never quite understood why the update phase never went through possibly updated rom chips as well, e.g. Kickstart 3.2 or similar? :-) Wouldn't it be easier like that? We would have a less of a patch-o-rama system nowadays. I suspect that there was a lot of legal bulls**t behind it.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
Re: Amiga Kickstart Roms...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 07:36:15 PM »
Chips would have cost a lot more to produce, and they'd have made an even bigger loss.

Thats all there is to it, i think.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 09:05:28 PM »
Yep. Cost was the big issue. Escom were the only post-C= owners willing/able to invest in new chip designs/productions, so when they went under, that was the end of new kickstart chips.

Kickstart 3.2 was a 1 meg chip, and I don't know if it could have been salvaged and adapted by later owners to the existing Classic Amigas either.

If it's possible to pull a 3.9 image from RAM, you could build a flash kickstart (see Aminet) and burn the image to that. It would only work in an accelerated 500/600/2000 though.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2003, 09:24:43 PM »
My Algor effectively gives me a Kickstart 3.9, since I get all the OS3.9 kickstart modules without any reboot :-D
Playstation Network ID: xeron6