amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Operating System Specific Discussions CommodoreUSA Amiga Barry Altman and Commodore USA

CommodoreUSA Amiga Discussions of all things dealing with CommodoreUSA's Amigas

Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 PM   #81
dammy
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 21,467, Level: 92 Points: 21,467, Level: 92 Points: 21,467, Level: 92
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Send a message via Skype™ to dammy
Default Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke1312 View Post
Where *is* the Commodore 64?
Hoping to have pictures this weekend.

www.arixfoundation.com
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.
dammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 AM   #82
fishy_fiz
Defender of the Faith
Points: 14,692, Level: 78 Points: 14,692, Level: 78 Points: 14,692, Level: 78
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Now there's a couple of good questions. I've been trying to think of them myself without getting blindsided by my own sentiment.
First, no the company does not have a lot of employees (but then neither does A-eon). Altman's other business does have a large warehouse, office space, and employees to help move stock.
At this point, I don't think he needs that many people.
He is interested in AROS, and must have tried it since he mentioned that sound doesn't work properly on his current system.
He also asked my how long I thought it would take to get AROS up to the level where it could be sold in a commercial product. That question's difficult to answer. I'm not comfortable with the idea, since I feel that selling AROS in its current state might lead to product returns.
Altman does seem interested in seeing AROS move forward. I think he's a little wary since he approached one developer about the sound drivers and was quoted a pretty large sum.
But if whomever is in charge in the AROS project were to contact him, they could probably establish a relationship.

Now, as to the one post that stated that Winboxes could do want they wanted. If you can't do it under Windows, what platform can you do it under? And what is IT?
Actually that recount of the sound driver debacle reads more like a cleaned up version of events. Firstly they where asked something like $1500 (I cant recall exact figure) for uncompromised use of the drivers. Seems kinda reasonable to me for something to be used in a commercial product. From here there was a lot of ridiculous behavior and complaints (which seems stupid to me,... in business if you want something its reasonable you pay a small fee for rights to use it). Prior to this ClusterUK (the man who actually *did* pay to have them created) had kept them exclusive to iMica for commercial purposes with the exception (unless Im mistaken) of Aresones, and phoenixkonsole also contributed money to use them there. After C-USA carried on like pork chops over it for a while ClusterUK realised nothing was to become of it so instead offered them up to the community for a sum. Ironically despite complaining about haveing to pay the initial amount they ended up contributing *nothing* when they had the opportunity to use the drivers for much cheaper and instead the community paid for them.

Not hugely important, but I couldnt help but to tell the story as it actually was, not the after-the-fact re-telling.
fishy_fiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #83
persia
Banned
Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90 Points: 20,846, Level: 90
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Why is this in AMIGA General Chat?
persia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #84
mongo
Premium Member
Points: 10,856, Level: 69 Points: 10,856, Level: 69 Points: 10,856, Level: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammy View Post
Hoping to have pictures this weekend.
Two months after the official launch and you're hoping to have pictures?
mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #85
Franko
Banned
Points: 22,799, Level: 93 Points: 22,799, Level: 93 Points: 22,799, Level: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by persia View Post
Awe gawd, this one must've slipped through the spam filter...

It's been so nice & quite since Barry boy was last here telling us to await for his announcement on Friday The 13th of April that came and went without a word, I was hoping they were all dead and buried and gone the way of the dodo...
Franko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #86
haywirepc
Defender of the Faith
Points: 11,833, Level: 71 Points: 11,833, Level: 71 Points: 11,833, Level: 71
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

Yes and in 3 or 4 more months he'll have a new scheduled shipping date.
haywirepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #87
dammy
Kindred of Babble-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Two months after the official launch and you're hoping to have pictures?
Pictures of the production line in action, yes. Leo has said there would be a new video out this month and I would assume it would be of the actual C64x production line. The new C=USA facility (offices, order customization, and R&D section) was rented and remodeled over last weekend, so we may also see pics of that as well. This may prove to be an interesting weekend.

www.arixfoundation.com
Old 06-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #88
drHirudo
Cult Member
Points: 9,658, Level: 66 Points: 9,658, Level: 66 Points: 9,658, Level: 66

Quote:
Pictures of the production line in action, yes. Leo has said there would be a new video out this month and I would assume it would be of the actual C64x production line. The new C=USA facility (offices, order customization, and R&D section) was rented and remodeled over last weekend, so we may also see pics of that as well. This may prove to be an interesting weekend.
Nice company that works only at the weekends. No wonder it took them so long to remodel a computer designed 30 years ago, without a CAD system.

On the contrary working only at the weekends is nice if you want to play with your Amigas in the weekdays. Where one can apply for a job at CUSA? Only if they had anything to do with the Amiga.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #89
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor
Points: 11,256, Level: 70 Points: 11,256, Level: 70 Points: 11,256, Level: 70
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
On the contrary working only at the weekends is nice if you want to play with your Amigas in the weekdays. Where one can apply for a job at CUSA? Only if they had anything to do with the Amiga.
Oh, it's quite simple. All you have to do is buy a computer, and it comes with a free CTO position!

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #90
djrikki
Technoid
Points: 5,615, Level: 48 Points: 5,615, Level: 48 Points: 5,615, Level: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by persia View Post
For the same reason why its in the Amiga General Chat on AW... the scammers that are C=USA and their deluded followers deliberately start a thread in the wrong section to piss everyone off. Eventually it will be move.... eventually
djrikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #91
dammy
Kindred of Babble-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Nice company that works only at the weekends.
I guess you don't understand time management for busy executives. Weekends and nights is when they are not typically tied to the phone or attending meetings. Community outreach typically happens during down time of busy schedules. I guess the very idea of mass production and the requirements for it to happen and successful execution of the production line is a bit foreign to you.

Quote:
No wonder it took them so long to remodel a computer designed 30 years ago, without a CAD system.
Sure there was a CAD system for the C64x's mold: http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum...d?lang=en#2154

Quote:
Well you just will have to wait till some time in 2H11 for those Commodore Amigas to be rolling down the assembly line. Perhaps you will pass the time waiting while using your A1X1K. Oh wait...

www.arixfoundation.com
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #92
djrikki
Technoid

@dammy

zzzz
Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #93
Franko
Banned

Quote:
Well you just will have to wait till some time in 2H11 for those Commodore Amigas to be rolling down the assembly line. Perhaps you will pass the time waiting while using your A1X1K. Oh wait...
Thank gawd for that...

I mean whenever they have to start putting the letter "H" into years then that must be so far off in the distant future that we'll all be long dead and never have to hear about these overpriced PC's...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #94
dammy
Kindred of Babble-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrikki View Post
For the same reason why its in the Amiga General Chat on AW... the scammers that are C=USA and their deluded followers deliberately start a thread in the wrong section to piss everyone off. Eventually it will be move.... eventually
Actually, this thread was started by Iggy: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...51&postcount=1 so you are wrong again. You sure aren't doing well today, are you.

www.arixfoundation.com
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #95
dammy
Kindred of Babble-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko View Post
Thank gawd for that...

I mean whenever they have to start putting the letter "H" into years then that must be so far off in the distant future that we'll all be long dead and never have to hear about these overpriced PC's...
I guess it might a regional issue with that abbreviation. Typically 2Hyear means second half of that given year as would 3Qyear would mean third quarter of that given year. Glad to help you out, don't even mention it. Aren't you glad you learn something new today?

www.arixfoundation.com
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #96
djrikki
Technoid

Having a great day thanks!

That avatar... is that C=USA's footprint in the market under a x1000 magnified-zoom lense? Wait it could be Big Foot's... oh nvm no-one has ever seen that either...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #97
commodorejohn
VIP / Donor
Points: 11,256, Level: 70 Points: 11,256, Level: 70 Points: 11,256, Level: 70
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote:
I guess you don't understand time management for busy executives. Weekends and nights is when they are not typically tied to the phone or attending meetings. Community outreach typically happens during down time of busy schedules. I guess the very idea of mass production and the requirements for it to happen and successful execution of the production line is a bit foreign to you.
Oh, did we hurt Barry's feelings by not understanding how Big Real Serious Businesses with Disney(C)(TM)(R)(TM) Endorsement(TM) work? I guess the idea of releasing a bunch of confusingly random dates and announcements each phrased like an actual indication of a pending release is just foreign to us...
Quote:
Eh, I'll use my A3000, thanks, which actually exists, and runs real Amiga software natively!

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #98
Franko
Banned

Quote:
I guess it might a regional issue with that abbreviation. Typically 2Hyear means second half of that given year as would 3Qyear would mean third quarter of that given year. Glad to help you out, don't even mention it. Aren't you glad you learn something new today?
Might be regional in some part of your brain cell but guess it's kinda typical of you to come up with some lame excuse for a typo...

Nah, ain't learned nothing new today cos your still gibbering the same old keech as usual...
Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #99
Kesa
Ninja Fruit Slasher
Points: 13,906, Level: 76 Points: 13,906, Level: 76 Points: 13,906, Level: 76

Lightbulb Re: Barry Altman and Commodore USA

Quote:

What's up with all these abbreviations? Did you just make these up? If you didn't then that person who did is an idiot.

What year is A1X1K? I'm assuming it was about 1000 years ago...
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #100
Iggy
Energizer Bunny of Babble
Points: 16,270, Level: 81 Points: 16,270, Level: 81 Points: 16,270, Level: 81

Quote:
Actually, this thread was started by Iggy: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...51&postcount=1 so you are wrong again. You sure aren't doing well today, are you.
Actually, dammy is right. I started the thread. And even though he and I would be at odds over some things (the president for instance), I think we both agree on one point. Barry Altman and C=USA ought to be given a chance before they are written off.

Purchased a 2.7 GHz G5 PowerMac for now (and I have 2.3 PCI-E G5 PowerMac for future revisions of MorphOS).

Also I still have a 1.42 GHz iBook (with MorphOS 3.4).

Finally I still have an old A2000 for the days I'm into pain.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." - Benjamin Franklin

"I'm a hard worker." - George W. Bush

"Guess I'll have to change my way of livin..."

Kenny Downing is my God.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote