Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sony PVM Monitors on Amiga  (Read 5602 times)

Description:

Offline Crom00Topic starter

• Show only replies by Crom00
Sony PVM Monitors on Amiga
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:29:37 PM »
Hi has anyone used these monitors on Amiga? they have a 25 pin connector and separate r,g,b inputs via bnc conector. What is the best method to connect Amiga to these? I was looking for a PVM monitor for editing video (got a field monitor from the same series) and got a 20" for my edit setup.

I remember back in College the film & video dept used these as standard and I drooled over them and wanted to connect one to my Amigas...

Would like to repurpose these for Amiga RGB displays.

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
Re: Sony PVM Monitors on Amiga
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
if you make an "Amiga 23 pins socket" to "RGB+CompositeSync (4 BNC)" cable, it will.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:11:40 PM by Framiga »

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;575256
if you make an "Amiga 23 pins socket" to "RGB+CompositeSync (4 BNC)" cable, it will.

Yes, I've been running one like this for 22 years, and it's on today, too.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:23:13 PM »
Where does one acquire said cable. I'd rather have someone make one for me.

thinking of:

Amiga to scart cable (i have one)
Connect scart Amiga cable to a scart switcher
Get a scart to PVM cable made...

This way I can just hookup XBOX1, AMiga, Dreamcast, PS3 etc using scart to this big monitor.

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
Quote from: Crom00;575266
Where does one acquire said cable. I'd rather have someone make one for me.

thinking of:

Amiga to scart cable (i have one)
Connect scart Amiga cable to a scart switcher
Get a scart to PVM cable made...

This way I can just hookup XBOX1, AMiga, Dreamcast, PS3 etc using scart to this big monitor.

Scart connectors may be easier to get than the oddball Amiga D-23; mostly you find D-25 connectors. Then just attach four coax cables ending in BNC connectors, available from Radio Shack if in the U.S.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:07:58 AM »
How about db23 to hd15 (standard amiga to vga 15 pin adapter) then connect a VGA 15 pin to 5 bnc cable. They usually have an RGB connector plus a couple more.

Or how about this:

Amiga to scart feame coupler to scart male to rgb 3 bnc cable...

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
I figured out a solution using stuff around the house from various PC and Amiga system builds:

A) Amiga 23 pin to 15 pin VGA, commdore or 3rd part unit is fine
B) Good quality composite BNC cable
C) RCA to BNC adapter
D) 15 pin VGA to RGB cable (3 bnc)

I used the VGA to RGB bnc on the RGB ports of the Sony PVM, I then used composite output to provide the composite sync cable.

I algo did a DB32 to scart coupler to the VGA cable using the Amiga composite out for SYNC.
I have a scart to 4 bnc (snyc R, G, B) to test. I'm quite ghappy had picked up the PVM as a field monitor and get to use it for retro stuff too.

They sony PVM montiors are cheap and readily available on EBAY for cheap a decent alternative to a 1084 and quite good for video.

Offline broken

• Show only replies by broken
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:45:13 AM »
Hate to bump this thread up, but I have a couple questions.

I have a JVC BM-H1300SU 14 inch broadcast quality monitor on the way and I intend to make a 23pin Amiga to 4 BNC cable for it. However, besides the obvious RGB +Composite Sync from the Amiga to the 4 BNC connectors, are there any other gotchas? Do I need to add any resistors inline with either the RGB lines or sync?

I had ordered a similar Sony PVM, but it was destroyed in transit. So I bought the JVC. According to documentation its good for 750 lines of TV resolution. How does that translate into Amiga screen modes?
Should I be able to use PAL or NTSC High res laced with no flicker?
I know with a 1084 monitor and high res laced the flicker is very bad, I am hoping with the JVC it will be minimal or non existent.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:48:50 AM by broken »

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 01:58:50 AM »
I used a crazy cable setup. Amiga scart cable, female then scart to RGB rca connector. I use the composite out from the A1200 for composite sync and it works. I went the SCART cable route as scart cables are an easy find on ebay yet Amiga to RGB are a pain in the ass. I also got it to work with the Amigakit 23 pin to VGA, vga to RCA and ran composite sync from the A1200 comp out.

Offline broken

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 02:21:09 AM »
Quote from: Crom00;619789
I used a crazy cable setup. Amiga scart cable, female then scart to RGB rca connector. I use the composite out from the A1200 for composite sync and it works. I went the SCART cable route as scart cables are an easy find on ebay yet Amiga to RGB are a pain in the ass. I also got it to work with the Amigakit 23 pin to VGA, vga to RCA and ran composite sync from the A1200 comp out.

I am not sure how that answered any questions.

Does said scart cable have any resistors in it to pad the RGB lines? I know many do.

What resolution are you running your Amiga in?

Offline broken

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »
Anyone?

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 04:21:42 AM »
In case anyone is interested, Amigamaniac still has 23-pin connectors and shells for sell.

@ Crom

I lucked into a couple of PVM-2530s last year.  They have 4 inputs, one is a 25-pin RGB, the others are composite and s-video.  I have yet to assemble the new cables and test with Amigas.  They look very good with other sources, like DVD and set-top-box converter.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 09:44:46 AM »
Quote from: broken;619782
Hate to bump this thread up, but I have a couple questions.

I have a JVC BM-H1300SU 14 inch broadcast quality monitor on the way and I intend to make a 23pin Amiga to 4 BNC cable for it. However, besides the obvious RGB +Composite Sync from the Amiga to the 4 BNC connectors, are there any other gotchas? Do I need to add any resistors inline with either the RGB lines or sync?

I had ordered a similar Sony PVM, but it was destroyed in transit. So I bought the JVC. According to documentation its good for 750 lines of TV resolution. How does that translate into Amiga screen modes?
Should I be able to use PAL or NTSC High res laced with no flicker?
I know with a 1084 monitor and high res laced the flicker is very bad, I am hoping with the JVC it will be minimal or non existent.

You'll still get flicker unless you have a flicker fixer board installed on your Amiga, it may look slightly better than on a 1084 but it will still flicker if your using any interlaced modes... :(

As for resistors inline on the cable, well that's just down to trial an error, for most monitors/tvs there not needed but for a few picky ones you sometimes need to add some 75ohm resistors, but as I say it's trial and error and down to the particular monitor/tv you're using... :)

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Show only replies by GrizzlyAdams
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
I was trying to get a 20" Sony PVM, but the guy who was middle-man put it in his car to bring it to me, and dropped off the face of the earth. Now his former employer (a surplus wholesaler) and I both want the damn monitor and he is nowhere to be found.

(This was about 2 months ago)

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 07:45:31 PM »
Quote from: broken;619790
What resolution are you running your Amiga in?

All the NTSC res stuff and the Pal resolutions will display but with the cutt off at teh bottom.

Dunno about resistors. I just plugged in the cable I used and it works. This will give you essetially a big 1084 style monitor. Don't even think about flicker free modes it's not about that. You get arcade style CRT display for games.