Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: midiIn - How does one make this work?!?!  (Read 2013 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
midiIn - How does one make this work?!?!
« on: August 09, 2010, 07:04:37 PM »
So I finally got around to installing midiIN

http://aminet.net/search?query=midiin

As fate would have it, it does not seem to recognize my MIDI keyboard at all, where as OctaMED has zero issues interfacing with my keyboard, though of course in OctaMED's case I am going MIDI out, where as with midiIN I'm trying to go MIDI in. I have my cables plugged in as they should be. OUT from keyboard, IN on the Amiga MIDI interface. All the settings are at default and should be ready to go, but when ever I press keys on my keyboard...

...nothing happens at all.

Anyone have experience with this app?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: midiIn - How does one make this work?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;574079
So I finally got around to installing midiIN

http://aminet.net/search?query=midiin

As fate would have it, it does not seem to recognize my MIDI keyboard at all, where as OctaMED has zero issues interfacing with my keyboard, though of course in OctaMED's case I am going MIDI out, where as with midiIN I'm trying to go MIDI in. I have my cables plugged in as they should be. OUT from keyboard, IN on the Amiga MIDI interface. All the settings are at default and should be ready to go, but when ever I press keys on my keyboard...

...nothing happens at all.

Hi Xdelusion, I use the old ProMidi Interface from Microdeal (midi In/ midi Tru/ 2 x Midi out) that plugs in my A1200 serial port. It runs fine with any Midi progs I've used, Bars & Pipes, Octamed, Sequencer One. The only software I have ever needed came on a floppy with the interface board. I don't know if this software is available for download anywhere but if you could find it, it may well work with your set up.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;574079

Yes.

First things first, you really need a dedicated machine to run it as it takes over the audio and won't play nice with any other apps that try to.

Secondly, you have to load samples into it's sample bank and map them to channels / note ranges. Once you have done all this gubbins, you can save the configuration for loading later.

Screenshot of it running on my actual machine
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:02:01 PM »
You need to have the little M button active too.

-edit- in octamed that is, that took me a while to figure out :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:05:29 PM by bloodline »

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
KarlOS: I loaded samples, figured I needed them, but still nothing. Is there something more I need to do?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline salax54

• Show only replies by salax54
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
I hope this does not sound stupid, but before all else, have you managed to set your keyboard's MIDI channel to an appropriate number? Of course, it can't be the same as another instrument you might be having plugged in the MIDI chain...
Sorry but i can't think of anything else, cause i haven't used the midiin package you mention :-)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;574113
KarlOS: I loaded samples, figured I needed them, but still nothing. Is there something more I need to do?

First of all, if you open the window with the big piano gadget on it (see screenshot), does it play sounds when you click on any of the piano keys?

If so, make sure that the MIDI checkbox in that window is enabled.

Loading samples alone is not quite enough. Each sample needs to be assigned to a MIDI channel and note range. The idea is that you can use multisamples and so on. I forget off the top of my head how you set this up. However, the amigaguide manual that should have come with it explains this IIRC.

If I get a chance I'll fire it up and see if there's any obvious settings you need to apply.
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 06:50:11 PM »
Here is where I'm at currently.

I can not make a sample work, but only 1. I see where you put a check in the midi box and a check in the audio box I presume so I can enable midi and enable audio playback.

I load up a sample, then click on SET, which then makes a key on the virtual keyboard on the screen flash.

I then click on a key and it stops flashing. Then at this point I can play the sound file with SOME of they keys on the keyboard, but not all. Though when I play it, the sound file does not play correctly in the least bit, and I have this problem with EVERY sound file I load.

So I guess my next question is: Is this how it's supposed to work, assinging like 6 keys per sample and all? How do I get the sample to play back correctly? Once I get everything going, how do I start the tracker so I can start playing and it will record what I play?

If there was a Youtube video demonstration of this, that would be GRAND!!!

Thankx again all for the help!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
Ah, I think I remember now. The SET is used to specify the keyboard range that you can play that sample on.

In the screenshot in the post above, I mapped a collection of Mellotron choir samples across a 4 octave range. The samples were split into every A, C, D# and F#. So I made each one the centre of a 3 semitone range (except for the top and bottom), as follows:

F#2 from C2 to G2
A2 from Ab2 to A#2
C3 from B2 to C#3
D#3 from D3 to E3

F#3 from F3 to G3
A3 from Ab3 to A#3
C4 from B3 to C#4
D#4 from D4 to E4

F#4 from F4 to G4
A4 from Ab4 to A#4
C5 from B4 to C#5
D#5 from D5 to C6

Having gone through the ball ache of configuring that, I saved it off and now recall is just an ASL requester away :)

Regarding capture, MIDI In is not a sequencer, it's just a software sampler. If you want to use it to create any tunes, you need to use it as a slave to another machine running say OctaMED.

If you recall this:

Basically, the towered A1200 is running MidiIn and the desktop one is running OctaMED and controlling it over MIDI.

The MIDI tracking feature in midiIn is, as I recall, just to make the UI sliders (Pitchbend etc) and stuff update with the incoming MIDI data.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:10:54 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 06:57:27 PM »
If that is the case, I don't understand how it works as it only allows me to click on one Key.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:06 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;574216
If that is the case, I don't understand how it works as it only allows me to click on one Key.

Have you tried clicking and dragging? Or shift-clicking?

WRT to not playing properly, do you mean it is distorted or just played at completely the wrong speed? IIRC, MidiIn expects samples it loads to have the correct recording frequency saved in their meta data. Samples saved from many tracker's inbuilt sample editors, often don't and just use whatever playback frequency "C-2" maps to (or similar).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:15:24 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »
Aghh ha! I'm finally getting somewhere with this!