Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WHDLoad Games Launcher...  (Read 5356 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
WHDLoad Games Launcher...
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
I've been most interested and quite surprised by the number of people out there who still use their Amiga to play all those excellent old games using WHDload.

I was wondering how most folk actually launch/run their WHDLoad Games. I wrote a little script and prog in 68k a number of years ago to make it very simple to play any of the several thousand games I have stored on my HDs.

With this little util I can select any of the games on my HDs and it will free up as much chip mem and fast mem as possible, before launching the games and run them from ram without any problems.

Just wondering how do other folk launch their WHDload games on their Amigas... :)

Cheers :drink:

Franko

Offline EgillSkallagrimsson

• Show only replies by EgillSkallagrimsson
Re: WHDLoad Games Launcher...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:27:12 PM »
Since no one else has asked yet, will we be getting an Aminet release of this, too? ;) I believe igame and kgload are the current launchers of choice for most.
Escom A4000T (CS-PPC, Picasso IV, Deneb, DVD burner, scsi->ide->cf adapter, 36gb scsi hdd, 750zip)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
Quote from: EgillSkallagrimsson;574063
Since no one else has asked yet, will we be getting an Aminet release of this, too? ;) I believe igame and kgload are the current launchers of choice for most.

Nah... I doubt if it would be of any use to anyone else, as it was written for use on my various A1200 set ups. ;)

But I'll check out the ones you've mentioned, are they on Aminet. :)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »
Oh that looks neat!

Personally, I downloaded KG's WHDLoad packs and placed them in the alphabetic draws.  I just open the draw, find the game and double-click the icon.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
Hi,

@Franko,

Why would you waste your time with pure garbage like this, I mean who would actually use it?

What did you say the name of this utility was again?

Is it on Aminet yet?

Also would this trash work on my A4000 with 3.9 OS?

Not at all interested you know, just doing a little scientific research for the rest of the Amiga community don't ya know. Don't want them putting something on their system if it is going to corrupt it, right, right, right.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 06:33:52 PM »
Quote from: smerf;574069
Hi,

@Franko,

Why would you waste your time with pure garbage like this, I mean who would actually use it?

What did you say the name of this utility was again?

Is it on Aminet yet?

Also would this trash work on my A4000 with 3.9 OS?

Not at all interested you know, just doing a little scientific research for the rest of the Amiga community don't ya know. Don't want them putting something on their system if it is going to corrupt it, right, right, right.

smerf

One mans trash is another mans treasure... :)

In answer to your sh£ty questions...

1: I would
2: I didn't
3: Nope
4: No (but I could easily write it to trash Your A4000 if you really want...)

If your not interested, then why did your read it, and waste your time replying !!!

Offline EgillSkallagrimsson

• Show only replies by EgillSkallagrimsson
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 06:37:29 PM »
Quote from: Franko;574064
Nah... I doubt if it would be of any use to anyone else, as it was written for use on my various A1200 set ups. ;)

But I'll check out the ones you've mentioned, are they on Aminet. :)

Yeah, igame should be on aminet and kgload should be in the eab forums. Also, I'm pretty sure smerf was attempting humor there.;)
Escom A4000T (CS-PPC, Picasso IV, Deneb, DVD burner, scsi->ide->cf adapter, 36gb scsi hdd, 750zip)

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 06:44:01 PM »
Quote from: EgillSkallagrimsson;574074
Yeah, igame should be on aminet and kgload should be in the eab forums. Also, I'm pretty sure smerf was attempting humor there.;)

If smerf was attempting humor there, then it didn't come across that way...
If smerf has been offended by my reply, then he/she only has to post a message here informing me if it was meant to be humorous or not and if so I'll be only more than too happy to issue him/her an apology. :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
I put my games in alphabetical directories, though I would like to be able to run them from Dopus II's pull down launcher, though this does not seem possible. :/

Nice work on your launcher app btw!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »
Quote from: XDelusion;574078
I put my games in alphabetical directories, though I would like to be able to run them from Dopus II's pull down launcher, though this does not seem possible. :/

Nice work on your launcher app btw!

Cheers XDelusion... :)

I too have all my games in alphabetical drawers, but I compress them all with LZX which means I only have one file per game that hold the disk images, slave file etc.. :)

As I have over 5000 games stored on my HD's this saves a lot of space and the util does all the decompression and launching so it's just a case of selecting the game you want and it's up and running. :)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Hi,

@Franko,

WOW!!

I was attempting a little humor here, but by golly your answers were G R E A T!! I was not offended at all and I sure hope I didn't offend you. Your program looks interesting and I still enjoyed your humor, by golly I have been out smerfed.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
Quote from: Franko;574080
Cheers XDelusion... :)

I too have all my games in alphabetical drawers, but I compress them all with LZX which means I only have one file per game that hold the disk images, slave file etc.. :)

As I have over 5000 games stored on my HD's this saves a lot of space and the util does all the decompression and launching so it's just a case of selecting the game you want and it's up and running. :)

Damn, that's a really handy program.

PS.  I could tell Smurf was kidding.  He was taking the piss out of your suggestion that nobody would want this program because it is obviously very nice indeed.

I like the idea of keeping the game in LZX files.  I downloaded KG's games and once unachived and installed along with my Workbench it takes up 4.5GB.  Now that isn't a problem for me because I'm using a 35GB partition on a 80GB Hard Drive, but it would be an issue if I wanted to copy my installion onto a 4GB CF Card to use on an A1200.  There are also the KG "Demos" which I haven't even downloaded yet...
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
Quote from: smerf;574088
Hi,

@Franko,

WOW!!

I was attempting a little humor here, but by golly your answers were G R E A T!! I was not offended at all and I sure hope I didn't offend you. Your program looks interesting and I still enjoyed your humor, by golly I have been out smerfed.

smerf

Humble apologies my dear smerf :) (grovel... grovel..) :o

without any of those little smily icons in you post, I took it to be some nasty PC user having a dig... :)

No hard feelings I hope, Im off now to recharge my sense of humor (batteries must be running low...) :biglaugh:

Cheers :drink:

Franko

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 09:03:49 PM »
Quote from: Darrin;574092
Damn, that's a really handy program.

Hi Darrin, :)

By the time you get back home, you should have all you need to run my little progy on your set up... ;)

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »
Quote from: Franko;574095
Hi Darrin, :)

By the time you get back home, you should have all you need to run my little progy on your set up... ;)

You da man!

We need a new BBC TV show:  "Franko 'ill Fix It"  :D