Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(  (Read 1915 times)

Description:

Offline redrumloaTopic starter

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(
« on: November 24, 2003, 10:49:22 PM »
It's hard for me to believe that so much time has passed since the C= & Amiga glory days that father time is claiming alot of good computer users.

I just got a load of C= 8 bit stuff from the estate of a gentleman that apparently died of old age. Going through this stuff makes me a little uneasy just knowing how dedicated of a user he was. Apparently he helped run a local club and when the club folded, he took over the inventory. He was a C= user to his death.

Shame isn't it? It doesn't seem like that long of a time but it is. Old age is claiming some fine users:-(
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Wow father time is claiming some good computer users:-(
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 12:01:36 AM »
"Nobody gets out of here alive."

Young, old, it catches up to everyone at one time or another.  I remember when Patrick Ford passed away.  Sad time.  He had some good views on the Amiga and was one of the last usenet warriors in terms of talking about the Amiga on newsgroups.

A cohort of mine in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons fandom just lost his battle to Leukemia...and that's a game that's much like the Ami in terms of having a loyal fanbase, no longer produced, etc.

Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 12:22:07 AM »
@Red

I agree with you completely.  I can remember buying my first C-64 and marveling at the technology.  Maybe it was a long time ago, but they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into old age, I ain't going gracefully!  Live every day like you know it's going to be your last.  Best regards...Art

Offline jeffimix

• Show only replies by jeffimix
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 12:24:02 AM »
Well.... D&D is still made, 3rd edition , but I guess that isn't really AD&D... think I gave my books away, never had a good group round here...
\\"The only benchmarks that matter is my impression of the system while using the apps I use. Everything else is opinion.\\" - FooGoo

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 12:27:24 AM »

jeffimix wrote:
Well.... D&D is still made, 3rd edition , but I guess that isn't really AD&D... think I gave my books away, never had a good group round here...

The AD&D -> Amiga analogy runs pretty deep, and I'd launch into some paralells but I don't want to muddy up this thread or kick any sacred cows vis a vis the amiga community...
Back away from the EU-SSR!

• Original Omega User
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 05:41:33 AM »
The AD&D -> Amiga analogy runs pretty deep, and I'd launch into some paralells but I don't want to muddy up this thread or kick any sacred cows vis a vis the amiga community...

Amiga <-> AD&D <-> Star Trek all seem to be of general common interest among Amigans at least from who I have seen online during the semi-glory days online 1995-2000. All the Amigans I met were heavy AD&D players and major trekkies. Personally though I played AD&D a little as a kid, i was out of it by the time I got my Amiga. The fact that I never really liked Star Trek seemed to make me an outsider;-)

Back on topic a bit. I remember growing up the a good number of the adopters of computers were older gentleman, especially Commodore users. Makes me think how many really have passed on.. How much computing knowledge and enthusiasm is gone forever..  :-(

Offline MagicSN

• Show only replies by MagicSN
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 10:12:49 AM »
Hmm...

also played a lot of AD&D years past, but I like some of the german RPG systems better, especially the "Midgard" System (much more "realistic" rules, for example you do not get additional hitpoints when you level up, and it has a much more sophisticated experience system - three different kinds of experience points, plus praxis experience in the latest edition).

Steffen

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 11:01:03 AM »

redrumloa wrote:
It's hard for me to believe that so much time has passed since the C= & Amiga glory days that father time is claiming alot of good computer users.

I just got a load of C= 8 bit stuff from the estate of a gentleman that apparently died of old age. Going through this stuff makes me a little uneasy just knowing how dedicated of a user he was. Apparently he helped run a local club and when the club folded, he took over the inventory. He was a C= user to his death.

Shame isn't it? It doesn't seem like that long of a time but it is. Old age is claiming some fine users:-(

I suppose what is really sad is that some poor guy's personal (and well loved) collection of computers is going to be divided up and sold to the highest bidder. It would be nice to keep it all together...

• Original Omega User
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 01:02:35 PM »
suppose what is really sad is that some poor guy's personal (and well loved) collection of computers is going to be divided up and sold to the highest bidder. It would be nice to keep it all together...

Well not really. The bulk of the items were sold in one big lot on eBay a few months back, one I got outbid on. I got everthing left over, which were odds and ends, no complete systems. Still everything was labeled and obviously well cared for. I'm sure the guy would have rathered the equipment go to good use and not end up in a landfill.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 01:06:47 PM »

redrumloa wrote:
suppose what is really sad is that some poor guy's personal (and well loved) collection of computers is going to be divided up and sold to the highest bidder. It would be nice to keep it all together...

Well not really. The bulk of the items were sold in one big lot on eBay a few months back, one I got outbid on. I got everthing left over, which were odds and ends, no complete systems. Still everything was labeled and obviously well cared for. I'm sure the guy would have rathered the equipment go to good use and not end up in a landfill.

Yes of course, I'm not saying it's a bad thing... but It still makes me sad...

Offline Martyn

• Show only replies by Martyn
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 01:11:19 PM »

And good users aren't the only one's we are losing.  George Robbins, who was one of the designers of the A500, died in April last year.

:-(
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee

Offline dandelion

• Show only replies by dandelion
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 06:26:55 PM »

Martyn wrote:

And good users aren't the only one's we are losing.  George Robbins, who was one of the designers of the A500, died in April last year.

That's sad. Checked out his memorial website and realised I knew the chap from the Death Bed Vigil video.

Wonder how he died...
MorphOS on MacMini
RISC OS on RPi
Dreaming of owning another classic.

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 07:28:26 PM »
redrumloa reminisced:
;-) Well, it wasn't quite that long ago.  Bear in mind that many folk who were enthusiastic about the Amiga (and computers in general) were already old when computers were new.  Electronics were of interest to more than just youngsters...

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 07:43:22 PM »
We'll just have to clone him and Jay Miner.  The rest of the original development and design team will have to be frozen in carbonite. We can then occasionally unfreeze one of them, temporatily, from time to time for lectures.

Offline Martyn

• Show only replies by Martyn
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 02:03:45 PM »
dandelion wrote:

Martyn wrote:

That's sad. Checked out his memorial website and realised I knew the chap from the Death Bed Vigil video.

Wonder how he died...

It's thought he died of a heart-attack.  I believe he was found slumped over his desk.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee