Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another big CF issue  (Read 4755 times)

Description:

Offline RetrofanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Retrofan
Another big CF issue
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »
Hi:
Well, I have my Sandisk 16GB CF working with the patched Idefix and using SFS. In that I used partitions under 4gb. One thing I must say is I didn't do the format using SMS but the quick Workbench one. I don't know if I should use it now, as it's running fine.

The thing is I've bought a Trascend 32Gb CF and have installed it using SFS format, patched Idefix and three partitions: the bootable with 512Mb, the second with 3Gb and the latest with 28GB.

If I turn on the Amiga I get the Install disk screen. If I do with the install one I see no partitions, if I use HDToolBox it shows the partitions (only the first two ones), but if I save the changes or not doesn't matter because yes, after a reboot I got all the system working fine with all the partitions, but after a cold reboot I get again the install disk screen.

I've tried to use the HDInstallTools, but even saving changes I get always the install disk screen after a cold reboot (not after a quick one).

What's wr:confused:ng?

Ah! Yes, Thomas you're always wellcome...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:24:53 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Thomas

Re: Another big CF issue
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
Known issue with some CF cards. Similar to the slow spin up problem of some harddrives. AFAIK nobody has found a solution for that yet. Just press Ctrl-A-A after power on.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »
Dude, don't use a 16 GB CF card on your Amiga. Find a 1,2, 4 GB SandDisk card and go with that. You are asking for trouble.
Why would you need 16 or 32 GB?

I say with friendliness and experience.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline amigakit

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
Its best to trust genuine Sandisk brand for use with the Amiga

We sell brand new 4GB CF Hard Drives (Sandisk brand/prepped/Amiga formatted) here:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=883

Note: Avoid Kingston branded CF cards due to Amiga compatibility problems.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:51:41 PM »
I've got a 4Gb Kingston elite pro CF that goes perfect. The 16GB Sandisk's one goes perfect too (after the nightmare with the Idefix problem). I believe I have no reason to format that one using SFS as I read, because at the instructions it says it's enough with a quick format, and it doesn't talk about using SFS format. Anyway, I've used it with the Trascend one.

I forgot to comment that the Sandisk Ultra CF I've got doubles the speed of the Sandisk Ultra II one (30MB/s against 15Mb/s). I thought Utra II should be better than "Ultra" alone, but it's the opposite.

Coudn't it be fixed changing something in the Startup sequence?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:56:20 AM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:19:07 PM »
Coudn't it be fixed changing something in the Startup sequence?

Use your brain. How should a file stored on the HDD be able to influence something if the entire HDD is not recognised?

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:27:01 PM »
So do you think even if I make the partitions under 4Gb it won't work?
Yes... if you say it's a hardware problem, I can't do anything, but I don't give up so easily...:bitch:

About brains... I think I will taste yours...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:53:34 PM by Retrofan »

Offline Thomas

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:38:44 AM »
I wonder how much magic you interpret into this partition thing. Partitions is a DOS feature. DOS is not even born when hard drives are recognised or not.

The first hard disk related OS part which jumps in after a reset is the hardware driver (scsi.device). It initialises the controller and checks which drives are connected. If your HDD is not recognised at this stage, it is completely ignored in all of the following steps. That's what happens in your Amiga.
The next step is that all recognised harddrives are checked for a valid partition table and a list of possible parttions is created.
Only now it is time for DOS to wake up. If no floppy disk is in the drives and if there are partitions in the list, then dos.library is initialised and the partitions are mounted, i.e. they are copied from the list created before in to the list of devices known to DOS.

You see, if the hardware driver does not recognise the HDD, then there is nothing in DOS or partitons or files which could change this.

About brains... I think I will taste yours...

Well, it's known that threadworms can learn from others by eating them. AFAIK this is not possible with humans (or humanoids).

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
Well, like always it seems Thomas is right... but it isn't really a big problem, if you turn on the Amiga you only have to use the Ctrl-A-A when it asks for the floppy as Thomas said and it starts right.

As I'm a little perfectionist I will sell it to someone that has to own OS3.9 and a Whdload license as it will have 1,6GB of games installed. It has a patched Idefix (you should own it too) and Sys4Aga. I believe 80 euros is a good price (look: http://computers.pricegrabber.com/flash-memory/Transcend-32GB-CompactFlash-Card/m61755784.html ).
It was installed for an A1200 with an internal Cd rom.

PM are wellcome!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:29:39 AM by Retrofan »

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;563071
The first hard disk related OS part which jumps in after a reset is the hardware driver (scsi.device).

Sorry to insist, but coudn't a patched scsi.device solve the problem?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:51:14 PM »
Quote from: Retrofan;563154
Sorry to insist, but coudn't a patched scsi.device solve the problem?

Yes, but how do you want to patch it if you cannot boot? You would have to put the patch into some kind of ROM. For example you could make your own Kickstart ROM which contains the patched scsi.device and burn it into an EPROM to replace the original Kickstart ROM. Or a flash ROM like on the Deneb USB controller. IMHO the latter is even more sure than the former because it's not said that the patched scsi.device will help, but the Deneb does a reset to activate updated modules, just like OS 3.9's SetPatch and this reset will surely help.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
Thanks. I've come to the conclusion that pressing three buttons at the same time isn't the greatest problem in the world, I think I can do it, or if I forget how, I can write a manual...

About why to use a 32Gb CF, I've just discovered KGWHD preinstalled Whdload Games, and it seems they will take up much room on it...

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 10:50:46 PM »
I'm going to copy 3,43 GB of KGWHD games using WinUAE. Before I had done drawers transfer using a PC with XP, but now I will use a Laptop with Vista. I didn't get the option of add Harddrive as I have in the XP and started to search in Google. I was going to try the -disablehardddrivesafetycheck, but I've discovered that if I make a shortcut of winuae.exe at the Desktop and simply make a right click on it and select Execute as Administrator I get the Add Harddrive option and I can read and write on it.

The question is: what do you need -disableharddrivesafetycheck for?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
what do you need -disableharddrivesafetycheck for?

You don't need it. It does not exist any more in recent versions of WinUAE. Older versions refused to add media with a PC partition table to WinUAE, even if it's empty. The command line option was the a around that. Recent versions have more intelligent checks. They only refuse to add drives with partitions on them.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »
You guys have me a bit paranoid. Or rather Thomas does.

I see this discussion is for OS 3.x users, and it appears that OS 3.9 users do not have to worry about Hard Drive size limitations. Assuming I am reading all correctly.

The reason I am curious is because I just received a new Kingston 8Gb CF in the mail, I'm using OS 3.9, and was able to set up the Partition tables in WinUAE, format on the A1200, and boot without issues. Shouldn't I be having problems being that it is a Kingston? Is there something I have to worry about down the road such as random data loss or some jazz?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs