Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OctaMED Sound Studio Install Issues & Advice.  (Read 19259 times)

Description:

Offline XDelusionTopic starter

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
OctaMED Sound Studio Install Issues & Advice.
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:24:39 AM »
I used to use OctaMED Sound Studio all the time back in the latter half of the 90's. Since then I moved on to PC where I basically got hooked because of a handful of software that just does not exist on ANY OTHER Operating System and I can not live without them.

While having this extra power I began using Open Mod Plug Tracker and my OctaMED use fell to the way side, but...

...here we are, years later and I'm beginning to tinker with the old hardware again and I was that particular sound that only a real Amiga can produce in that unique Amiga flavor.

So I'm installing OctaMED S.S., but on disc two, it turns out that the Installer gives me an error.

Mind you I have updated the installer via Aminet and I still receive this error:

Sorry... an Error Has Occured!

Coyfiles: Problem with source file/drawer "OctaMED_SoundStudio2:Rexx" in line 150.

DOS Error Type: Unable to locate a file or Drawer.
--------

How can I resolve this issue? I've always had this problem since the 90's and always had to do an install by hand.

I've had other programs that had issues during and install, and I never understood why that would be.

In regards to advice, what settings would you veteran users suggest for an Amiga 1200 030/40Mhz with 16Mb of RAM. And what setting would you suggest for an Amiga 600 68000 with 4Mb of RAM total?

By this I mean OctaMED's Frequency settings, channels, halfing, sample quality, size, and all that jazz.

BTW, what is Sample halfing anyhow, and should I use it, because it only seems to make the samples sound like crap.

Finally, why is it that when I am using OctaMED Sound Studio, that it sometimes begin to put out garbage instead of the sounds it is supposed to? The only way I've found to resolve this is to reboot.

Again, thankx in advance!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline zipper

Re: OctaMED Sound Studio Install Issues & Advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
I'd look at line 150 what's missing, if it could be fixed by hand - have done it sometimes meaning there can be an error in the installer script.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;555804
I used to use OctaMED Sound Studio all the time back in the latter half of the 90's. Since then I moved on to PC where I basically got hooked because of a handful of software that just does not exist on ANY OTHER Operating System and I can not live without them.

While having this extra power I began using Open Mod Plug Tracker and my OctaMED use fell to the way side, but...

...here we are, years later and I'm beginning to tinker with the old hardware again and I was that particular sound that only a real Amiga can produce in that unique Amiga flavor.

So I'm installing OctaMED S.S., but on disc two, it turns out that the Installer gives me an error.

It looks like the installer failed to either create or locate a drawer or assign. Have a look at the line of the script to see if you can fix it.

I think I installed mine manually. In the end, it only needs an assign or two anyway IIRC.

In regards to advice, what settings would you veteran users suggest for an Amiga 1200 030/40Mhz with 16Mb of RAM.

On an 020 with 4MB of fast ram I had no problems with 8-channel mixed mode at 27000Hz (can't remember the exact value, it is the upper limit of Paula for PAL). On my 68040, I've played over 32 channels in mixed mode before, although nowadays most of my stuff uses MIDI.

And what setting would you suggest for an Amiga 600 68000 with 4Mb of RAM total?

By this I mean OctaMED's Frequency settings, channels, halfing, sample quality, size, and all that jazz.

For a 68000, you are probably best sticking to regular 4 channel mode or using it as a MIDI sequencer. You will probably get away with turning on FastMemPlay though, increasing the total sample size you can get away with.

BTW, what is Sample halfing anyhow, and should I use it, because it only seems to make the samples sound like crap.

Sample halving is used in legacy 5-8 channel mode. In this mode, 2 "software" channels are mixed into 1 hardware 8-bit channel, requiring that the overall sample output never exceeds the 8-bit range. The only way to guarantee that is to half the volume of the samples used on those channels. This isn't needed in mix mode, which uses a full software mixer for all channels.

If you want my advice, don't use the old 5-8 channel mode. Use the mixed mode on your 030. It's almost certainly faster and has far fewer limitations.

Finally, why is it that when I am using OctaMED Sound Studio, that it sometimes begin to put out garbage instead of the sounds it is supposed to? The only way I've found to resolve this is to reboot.

Again, thankx in advance!

That sounds like a bug. I've only had that happen in non-Mixed 5-8 channel mode with very short sample loops, but only rarely.
int p; // A

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
I dont think the latest free version of Octamed has an installer?. I think you just copy the drawer to your hard drive. It's been a while though...could be wrong! :)

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:49:48 PM »
Where is the final release anyhow?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline spihunter

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
At one point you had to join the mailing list to download it. I can't find the Amiga section anymore on the official Octamed homepage. Wasn't version 1.03 on Aminet?. It's blocked from work so I can't check.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:55:23 PM »
The version I'm using is the one that was given away by CU Amiga magazine (1.03c, I think). I recall trying a beta v2, but it was far from complete.
int p; // A

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »
That's what I got is the CU Amiga version. I can't tell you how psyched I was when I found that issue on the stands! :)

Anyhow, ya the OctaMED site seems to have dropped Amiga support totally and announced that an OS4 port probably will never happen due to the ill health of the guy who was porting it. Also, no code release, what a shame. :/

If I could find a copy that doesn't have the annoying pop ups when you start it, I would be elated!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »
Surely the popup isn't that annoying?

Anyway, regarding OS4, it runs just fine - at least as far as sample playback goes. MIDI, I haven't got working yet (probably because OctaMED SS bangs CIA/serial port directly for MIDI, I guess). In another thread, I think you were asking me about the instrument properties. The screenshot I added was running on OS4.1.

The way to get it working on OS4 is to use a tool called "The Maestrix" (or some such pun on the matrix) which emulates one of the supported soundcards on AHI. This application is also 68K and therefore works with classics/UAE as well (confirmed) and I expect it works in MorphOS too.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:25:17 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 11:48:07 PM »
This is all interesting to me, as well. I've got an M-AUDIO 88 controller, the BTBuilder game that I'm developing art for now has OGG support and I'm the only "musician" (and I use that term lightly) available. I was considering using Med SS to do the music, as I don't have any soft synths, nor any mixing software. I haven't done *ANY* sort of music since the early/mid 90's.

Any help would be appreciated, as well.
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline Tension

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
IIRC u need to merge the folders from the 2 floppys into one directory instead of 2 seperate names, one on each disk.

(Folder repetition across disks)

Cant think mstraight now, too tird.

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »
About your original error, let's assume the floppies are in good shape. You must have an Installer that does not like this script, some version difference is to blame. Those are the tell-tale errors/signs of a wrong Installer version.

I tell you if you can download the 1.03c you may be better off, I've done that many times. And I concur it does not come with an installer; you just put fonts and libs where they need to go and when OSS stops bitching, you installed it!
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:21:42 AM »
Karlos: Yes the pop up does annoy me that much!!! :)

I'm not wealthy enough to run OS 4.1 anyhow. I was just hoping for an updated port that matches the features of the latest Winblows version, and was keeping my fingers crossed that it would also run on MorphOS for when I buy an old MacMini or what ever to run it.

The Goose: Is there anywhere to has the last release of this available for download that is not the CU Amiga edition?

Tension: I'll give that a try.

Methuselas: I intend to keep posting information as I find it, and will probably be setting up a section on my web page later just for OctaMED Sound Studio for the Amiga since the official site is lacking in the department.

I'm also interested in checking out DigiBooster again some day and seeing what that's all about...

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:56 AM »
OMG WTF is going on here:
http://www.medsoundstudio.com/

Someone plaese nuke this site. There use to be a humble yahoo group no too long ago for the original cool people. Newsflash - OSS will never work properly on a Pee Cee.

Whew, loosing my cool. XDelusion you can still get 1.03c at good old:
http://m68k.aminet.net/package/mus/edit/OctamedSS1.03c

But you just need a little common sense tinkering to get all working, like I was saying.
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline spihunter

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:10 AM »
The CU Amiga version on Aminet is the latest version... There may have been a 1.03d version but I don't think anything really changed.... You just have to change a setting to get rid of that annoying pop up screen at startup.

Quote from: XDelusion;555898
Karlos: Yes the pop up does annoy me that much!!! :)

I'm not wealthy enough to run OS 4.1 anyhow. I was just hoping for an updated port that matches the features of the latest Winblows version, and was keeping my fingers crossed that it would also run on MorphOS for when I buy an old MacMini or what ever to run it.

The Goose: Is there anywhere to has the last release of this available for download that is not the CU Amiga edition?

Tension: I'll give that a try.

Methuselas: I intend to keep posting information as I find it, and will probably be setting up a section on my web page later just for OctaMED Sound Studio for the Amiga since the official site is lacking in the department.

I'm also interested in checking out DigiBooster again some day and seeing what that's all about...