amiga.org

iconAll times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 PM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.

Amiga.org Amiga computer related discussion General chat about Amiga topics What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?

General chat about Amiga topics This forum is for conversations which are specifically "Amiga" related, but don't fit into other categories. Contents of this forum do appear on the main page, unlike Talk About. If a subject appears to be non-related, it will be moved to Talk About.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #81
Zac67
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 12,866, Level: 74 Points: 12,866, Level: 74 Points: 12,866, Level: 74
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Default Re: What is the real power of Akiko chip in cd32 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
Should have been a blitter mode :-/
It should have been a Lisa mode - so no data at all would have to get moved twice (or even more).
Zac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #82
itix
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 13,392, Level: 75 Points: 13,392, Level: 75 Points: 13,392, Level: 75
Activity: 69% Activity: 69% Activity: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiman View Post
Or Akiko on A1200 AND proper programming would have made games on Amiga 1200 for 99% of people expecting to play better games than a 1985 A1000 a bit less 'old' looking in 93/94.
To be honest the software library for Amiga in 1985/1986 wasnt very good either...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #83
bloodline
Master Sock Abuser
Points: 39,880, Level: 100 Points: 39,880, Level: 100 Points: 39,880, Level: 100
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac67 View Post
It should have been a Lisa mode - so no data at all would have to get moved twice (or even more).
True, but you would still probably want to render to fast ram and then copy the entire frame to chip ram in one go...
Old 11-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #84
psxphill
Defender of the Faith
Points: 7,343, Level: 56 Points: 7,343, Level: 56 Points: 7,343, Level: 56
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
True, but you would still probably want to render to fast ram and then copy the entire frame to chip ram in one go...
No, you don't want to render to fast ram. The blitter should have been able to rotate and scale bitmaps. The way saturn drew polygons (they called them distorted sprites) wouldn't have been much of a stretch to add to the amiga blitter. It would be less efficient but it could have used bitplanes for the screen and textures, so lisa wouldn't necessarily have needed any changes.

If would have to have been introduced in 1990 instead of the a500+ to stop the snes, by 1995 it would have been time to do something much better. In the meantime games like Wolfenstein & doom would have come out on the Amiga first.

Add a cheap cd drive (like the cdtv cr or cd32) and they would have been unbeatable. Piracy wouldn't have been so widespread so the developers wouldn't have jumped ship.

The Amiga was cutting edge for 1985, but they milked it for far too long. On the A1000 launch day they should have been working on the chips that would come out in 5 years time (ECS was aiming too low and AAA was aiming too high).

The A1000 went from nothing to launch in three years, it then took a futher seven years to add 2 bitplanes & some higher resolution modes. Everyone then tried to fix the aging architecture with fast ram and accelerators, that wasn't ever the Amiga way.

Last edited by psxphill; 11-04-2011 at 03:06 PM..
psxphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #85
warpdesign
Technoid
Points: 5,327, Level: 46 Points: 5,327, Level: 46 Points: 5,327, Level: 46
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%

Quote:
The A1000 went from nothing to launch in three years, it then took a futher seven years to add 2 bitplanes & some higher resolution modes. Everyone then tried to fix the aging architecture with fast ram and accelerators, that wasn't ever the Amiga way.
I 200% agree with that! It took them 7 years to update some parts of the chipset, not even all parts (sound remained unchanged...). Too little, far too late.
warpdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #86
Zac67
Kindred of Babble-on
Points: 12,866, Level: 74 Points: 12,866, Level: 74 Points: 12,866, Level: 74
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

100% ack - the 3000 should've had AGA and possibly some intermediate AAA by 1994 before adopting the other world's chips (on a PCI platform). But that didn't happen. Apple did it that way (mostly).
Zac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #87
Mequa
Beginner
Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19 Points: 1,228, Level: 19
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

On the subject of Akiko Chunky-to-Planar, Toni Wilen released a new beta of WinUAE today which incorporated an optimised Akiko C2P algorithm I submitted in C code for WinUAE/PUAE.

Although it tested twice as fast as the old WinUAE algorithm in isolation, it's unclear whether due to CPU caching this will actually be any faster in practical use than the old algorithm (it makes for a very tiny difference anyway in overall CD32 emulation), but Toni's source code did say the original algorithm was, quote, a "piece of crap", and he decided to switch to my version instead, so I guess this is a small improvement.

At least it works when I tried it with CD32 Wing Commander and Microcosm.
Mequa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #88
Tripitaka
Defender of the Faith
Points: 9,922, Level: 66 Points: 9,922, Level: 66 Points: 9,922, Level: 66
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxphill View Post
No, you don't want to render to fast ram. The blitter should have been able to rotate and scale bitmaps. The way saturn drew polygons (they called them distorted sprites) wouldn't have been much of a stretch to add to the amiga blitter. It would be less efficient but it could have used bitplanes for the screen and textures, so lisa wouldn't necessarily have needed any changes.

If would have to have been introduced in 1990 instead of the a500+ to stop the snes, by 1995 it would have been time to do something much better. In the meantime games like Wolfenstein & doom would have come out on the Amiga first.

Add a cheap cd drive (like the cdtv cr or cd32) and they would have been unbeatable. Piracy wouldn't have been so widespread so the developers wouldn't have jumped ship.

The Amiga was cutting edge for 1985, but they milked it for far too long. On the A1000 launch day they should have been working on the chips that would come out in 5 years time (ECS was aiming too low and AAA was aiming too high).

That was the most wonderful post of how it should have happened I've ever read. If I ever get a Tardis I'll test it out.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #89
Pentad
Technoid
Points: 10,851, Level: 69 Points: 10,851, Level: 69 Points: 10,851, Level: 69
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxphill View Post
...The Amiga was cutting edge for 1985, but they milked it for far too long. On the A1000 launch day they should have been working on the chips that would come out in 5 years time (ECS was aiming too low and AAA was aiming too high).

Having just caught up with this thread I would agree with the above quote.

I hate to dabble in "What if" but I have always wondered "what if" Commodore would have kept Jay Miner, et al, on the payroll and let them continue to upgrade the chipset. From my understanding, Jay and others were working on the Ranger chipset when Commodore shot them down.

I think that the Ranger chipset was a year or so away from release after the Amiga 1000 which would have kept the technology in an upgrade cycle. I also believe that Jay would have pushed to keep the technology moving where Commodore left it to stagnate.

I have always loved the Amiga 3000 and felt it was the last product Commodore truly put to market with polish and effort. That was also a pivotal moment in the market when Apple and IBM hadn't quite caught up with the Amiga chipset. Sadly, the 3000 lacked any significant upgrade to the chipset which was an opportunity missed by Commodore. A path that led to the 1994 closing.

I think if the Amiga 3000 would have had something along the lines of AGA and the 4000 a much more powerful chipset things would have gone different.

Atlas, it is only conjecture and speculation but I think it would have been interesting to see what Jay Miner et al would have done for the line if they would have remained full-time.

-P