Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 1200 video output problem. Please help!  (Read 9213 times)

Description:

Offline amigaloverTopic starter

• Show only replies by amigalover
Amiga 1200 video output problem. Please help!
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:58:37 PM »
Can somebody help me please? I´ve got an Amiga 1200, and have a problem with video output. When I connect the Amiga via the composite video out jack ( labelled COMP ) to the video-in input of my TV ( it is a NTSC japanese TV but in my country we use PAL system ), the image is sharp and clean, but is all greenish, and does not show the other colors, what could be going on ? something has gone wrong with my Amiga video ? I would be very grateful for someone´s help as there is no Amiga service in my country now to ask.:(

Offline Gulliver

Re: Amiga 1200 video output problem. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »
First of all, check you are doing things right:

1-Check (do not assume) wether your Amiga is either PAL or NTSC
2-Make sure your Amiga TV standart matches BOTH your Tv and your A1200
3-Connect the A1200 to a TV using the RF output. and check if it works properly

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;544019
First of all, check you are doing things right:

1-Check (do not assume) wether your Amiga is either PAL or NTSC
2-Make sure your Amiga TV standart matches BOTH your Tv and your A1200
3-Connect the A1200 to a TV using the RF output. and check if it works properly

Thanks for your answer, but how do I know wether my Amiga is Pal or NTSC ? Is there an indication anywhere in the computer ?. The thing is that I always used the Amiga 1200 connected to a VGA monitor via a VGA adaptor and worked fine that way, and never needed to connect it to TV. Now I had a problem with my hard disk and the Amiga only boots from the floppy drive, so I have no way but to try it usign a TV set, and found this problem that the image is greenish and not in color. I also connected the A1200 using the RF output to a scart connection to the antenna, but it was worse, I had no image on the TV using the RF output. I have read in the manual that if a TV is Pal I have to turn on channel 36 and tune a screw near the RFT modulator of the A1200 until the picture is clear ? Maybe I did not try that and that is the reason I don´t see any image using the RFT ? I wish I had my hard disk working ! it was far more easy to proceed ... Do I try that procedure ? ( channel 36 and so )...waiting for your next answer...thanks!

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:43:02 AM »
To check wether your Amiga is PAL or NTSC, do the following:

1-Carefully open your A1200 and have the motherboard exposed
2-Search in the motherboard for an oscillator wich is labeled on the motherboard as X1. The Oscillator is a rectangular 1cmx2cm aprox. metal object, located in the center of your motherboard.
3- If on top of the Oscillator you read 28.63636, then your Amiga is NTSC. If it says 28.37516, then it is PAL

By the way, I have never heard about that channel 36 weird trick!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:00:48 AM by Gulliver »

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 04:56:40 AM »
Composite is monochrome output on the Amigas, not sure why. You need to connect it to the RF out/TV out.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »
@Fanscale
You are wrong: the A600 and A1200 will output composite in color, not monochrome!

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
why are you not using the A1200 RGB output? your tv can't be that old or is it.

those outputs do my eyes in i will never look at anything lower than S-VID,which is bulit into my motherboard.
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline spaceman88

• Show only replies by spaceman88
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
Quote from: Fanscale;544039
Composite is monochrome output on the Amigas, not sure why. You need to connect it to the RF out/TV out.

No, the 1200 has colour output on composite. It's probably a PAL 1200 on a NTSC  monitor, some monitors will "roll" others will have no colour others won't show anything at all if you have a PAL/NTSC mismatch. You could try holding down both mouse buttons when you turn it on and go into the boot menu and select "NTSC" and boot. Not 100% sure that will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.
Len

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
@spaceman88

booting an Amiga and changing in the early boot menu (by holding both mouse buttons) from PAL to NTSC or vice versa, will not help. Let me give you the long explanation:

Video signals for television in North America are different from
those used in Europe. North America uses the NTSC system, and most
European countries, as well as many others, use the PAL system. Since
the Amiga uses video-based screen modes, they are made for the different
modes according to the country.

The main differences between the two modes are resolution and frame
rate. NTSC displays have 200 lines vertically, or 400 in interlaced
mode, and displays 29.97 frames (59.94 fields) per second (most people
round it off to 30). PAL uses 256, or 512 interlaced, with a frame rate
of 25 frames per second (50 fields).

If you have the ECS chipset, you can switch your display between the two
modes using the Screenmode Prefs program, in the Prefs drawer. You can
also switch from the default screenmode at boot time with the Early
Startup Menu, which you access by holding down both mouse buttons when
booting.

Some programs, most notably games, which are not fully OS-compliant,
only support one of the modes. Many of the games on Aminet, for example,
are PAL only. If you have an NTSC machine, you will be able to use most,
but not all, of them as long as you have the ECS or AGA chipset and at
least 1 MB of CHIP RAM.

This method of switching to NTSC or PAL modes is only used to make
software work which is designed for the other standard. It's not
sufficient if you want to use an Amiga with hardware video equipment
from the other standard. For this purpose, you would have to rework your
Amiga's motherboard to a high degree, e.g. change the main crystal and
the modulator.

Hope it helps you to understand it! :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:45:43 PM by Gulliver »

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;544024
To check wether your Amiga is PAL or NTSC, do the following:

1-Carefully open your A1200 and have the motherboard exposed
2-Search in the motherboard for an oscillator wich is labeled on the motherboard as X1. The Oscillator is a rectangular 1cmx2cm aprox. metal object, located in the center of your motherboard.
3- If on top of the Oscillator you read 28.63636, then your Amiga is NTSC. If it says 28.37516, then it is PAL

By the way, I have never heard about that channel 36 weird trick!

Hello again. I opened my Amiga 1200 and checked the motherboard for the oscillator you mention, it says 286363 MH so mine is an NTSC Amiga.
The TV I´m trying is a modern NTSC japanese or korean Goldstar, but it might have been adapted by the service, to Pal system, which is the TV system we use in my country, could that be the reason why I see the image all greenish ? I tried also with the A520 modulator which comes with the Amiga 500, connected it to the Video output ( the connection with pins ) of my A1200, and I obtained either a greenish image again or a black and white image if I move the switch that is above. Is it normal to see the image black and white or greenish instead of full color on a TV ? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:39:53 PM by amigalover »

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
Quote from: spaceman88;544073
No, the 1200 has colour output on composite. It's probably a PAL 1200 on a NTSC  monitor, some monitors will "roll" others will have no colour others won't show anything at all if you have a PAL/NTSC mismatch. You could try holding down both mouse buttons when you turn it on and go into the boot menu and select "NTSC" and boot. Not 100% sure that will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.
Len

Hello. Thanks for your quote. I followed the instructions of "Gulliver" and discovered my Amiga is NTSC, seeing the number in the oscillator, but I don´t know wether to consider my TV as NTSC or PAL, as it is a modern Goldstar made in Japan or Korea and I suppose it is NTSC, but as we use the Pal television system in my country it probably must have been adapted to PAL by the service. My A1200 came with a Seagate hard disk and I always used a VGA monitor with no problem, but now my hard disk is dead and I had to boot from the floppy drive for the first time and found the above mentioned problem, which is seeing the image sharp but greenish or black and white, don´t know what to do or if this is normal, there is no Amiga service in my country to ask nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:35:43 PM by amigalover »

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
Quote from: delshay;544071

those outputs do my eyes in i will never look at anything lower than S-VID,which is bulit into my motherboard.

Hello. By RGB output do you mean the RFT output or that I have to use a scart/RGB adapter cable attaching the 23 pin video output of the Amiga to a TV antenna ?
I already tried the RFT jack connected via a scart to TV and had no image, but I didn´t try moving the black switch which is near the RFT output of the A1200 and turns NTSC to PAL and viceversa, but the manual mentions I have to put channel 36 in TV while doing that ? I read it in the A1200 user´s guide. I also tried the A520 modulator that comes with the Amiga 500, attached to the 23 pins video output of the Amiga 1200 and used a video cable going from the video out of the modulator to the video in of the TV, but obtained again either a greenish image or a black and white image, depending the way I moved the switch which is above in the modulator, so it´s the same result I had previously obtained by connecting directly to the composite video jack of the A1200.
Thanks in advance for your explanation.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:42:50 PM by amigalover »

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 04:27:37 PM »
Quote from: amigalover;544084
Hello. By RGB output do you mean the RFT output or that I have to use a scart/RGB adapter cable attaching the 23 pins video output of the Amiga to a TV antenna ?
I already tried the RFT jack connected via a scart to TV and had no image, but I didn´t try moving the black switch which is near the RFT output of the A1200 and turns NTSC to PAL and viceversa, but the manual mentions I have to put channel 36 in TV while doing that ? I read it in the A1200 user´s guide. I also tried the A520 modulator that comes with the Amiga 500, attached to the 23 pins video output of the Amiga 1200 and used a video cable going from the video out of the modulator to the video in of the TV, but obtained no image!
Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Sorry, I made a mistake in my explanation, using an A520 modulator I obtained either a greenish image or a black and white image depending the way I moved the switch wich is above in the modulator, so the same result I had obtained by connecting directly to the composite video jack of the A1200.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »
Quote from: delshay;544071

Sorry, I made a mistake in my previous explanation, using an A520 modulator I obtained either a greenish image or a black and white image depending the way I moved the switch wich is above in the modulator, so the same result I had obtained by connecting directly to the composite video jack of the A1200.

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
Hi amigalover,

Which country are you in ?
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}