Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Emulating a CD32 controller - Sony says it can...  (Read 1968 times)

Description:

Offline Louis DiasTopic starter

Emulating a CD32 controller - Sony says it can...
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5475448/sony-files-patent-for-universal-game-controller

With no Commodore or Amiga Inc having any real Commodore tech/licensing, if Sony planning a CD32 emulator?  Surely they will need the 3.1 ROMS if they are going to specify CD32 controllers as controllers their universal controller will emulate...

I believe the AGA patents expired.

I think this is another sign of the times.  Anything made by Commodore with the name Amiga on it is anyone's for the taking.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
Re: Emulating a CD32 controller - Sony says it can...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:25:38 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;543980

With no Commodore or Amiga Inc having any real Commodore tech/licensing, if Sony planning a CD32 emulator?  Surely they will need the 3.1 ROMS if they are going to specify CD32 controllers as controllers their universal controller will emulate...

I think this is another sign of the times.  Anything made by Commodore with the name Amiga on it is anyone's for the taking.

Since it's being done in software, who needs a license from C= or AI?
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
Quote from: lou_dias;543980

Slow down there, cowboy.  It's just a controller.  

From the original article:
This controller would feature a touch sensitive liquid crystal display that would display various button layouts depending on the consoles. For example, a Nintendo console would pull up a Nintendo controller layout, a Microsoft console would pull up a Microsoft controller layout and a PlayStation console would pull up a PS controller layout.

So this is essentially like the PDA Remote Controls program, only for consoles.  It's an LCD touch screen pad that draws a picture of whatever controller you are emulating, and translates your touch inputs to the correct output signals for the buttons of whatever machine it's attached to.

They probably added CD32 compatibility because the marginal cost of adding it is practically nothing, if they already had the 9-pin adapter used on Commodore/Atari.  Just write a new program to display a picture of a CD32 pad and output those codes instead of the normal C=/Atari ones.  Presto, add CD32 support to the list.

What makes you think Sony is planning a CD32 emulator?  And WHY would they plan one, anyhow?  It's not like it was a commercial success back in the day, let alone now.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
I don't know of usability because i haven't had one, but the design of the cd-32 pad is awful to my taste
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Cammy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
This sounded exciting until I read this:

"This controller would feature a touch sensitive liquid crystal display that would display various button layouts depending on the consoles."

Yuck! It sounds like it'd feel like playing an iPhone.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »
Quote from: Ilwrath;543983

What makes you think Sony is planning a CD32 emulator?  And WHY would they plan one, anyhow?  It's not like it was a commercial success back in the day, let alone now.

The point of this is to be used in a "Virtual Console" service...
Don't forget Sony owns Psygnosis who did quite a number of Amiga games...and SegaCD...etc...

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
Quote from: dammy;543982
Since it's being done in software, who needs a license from C= or AI?

did you notice when they were listing controllers and who owned the system that Amiga CD32 TM has no "owner"?

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »
Quote from: Cammy;544000
This sounded exciting until I read this:

"This controller would feature a touch sensitive liquid crystal display that would display various button layouts depending on the consoles."

Yuck! It sounds like it'd feel like playing an iPhone.

That does sounds pretty awful. I'm a fan of the CD32 controller design. The build quality left a lot to be desired, but the conceptual design was good.

The same way people have been accidentally tossing their Wii remotes into their TVs, expect to see lots of thumbs puncturing the screen of this thing. Controllers were meant to have their buttons mashed to bits, and games were designed around that tactile responsiveness.

I predict this thing is going to be a mega flop - either absurdly expensive, to be of sufficient quality to not break instantly, or a cheap piece of junk that no one buys.

@ lou_dias

I really, really, don't see this as any sort of evidence of companies raiding Commodore's corpse. If that were so, they'd also logically have to be pillaging Atari, Gravis, Sega, Turbographx, etc. CD32 is represented no differently in that exerpt than any other system.