Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PPTP VPN between MiamiDX and Microsoft RRAS?  (Read 1669 times)

Description:

Offline LoadWBTopic starter

• Show only replies by LoadWB
PPTP VPN between MiamiDX and Microsoft RRAS?
« on: January 28, 2010, 02:35:29 AM »
Has anyone successfully configured PPTP VPN connections from MiamiDX to Microsoft Windows RRAS?

I am playing with this over the next few days, and tonight's experiment did not go well.  Well, it did not go at all. heheheh

Re: PPTP VPN between MiamiDX and Microsoft RRAS?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
Quick update. I have been able to successfully establish a PPTP connection to RRAS, but I apparently need to read more about routing in MiamiDx.  Neat.

If I am completely successful, I will be able to manage remote servers via RDP over VPN.  Pretty much the only thing I cannot do with my Amiga that my Windows machine can do.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:49 PM »
--double posted--
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:44:56 PM by LoadWB »

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
PPTP usually does not include any means of encryption. MS RRAS does, but does Miami as well?

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »
With MiamiSSL installed, it does enough to work with MS-CHAP.  As for transport, I'm not sure yet until I get routing to work.  I have an idea to try again tonight.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »
I had a few seconds before I have to run to a job site.  I made sure my ppp0 interface had a dynamic gateway with a priority of 11, then brought ppp0 online.

That connected, and in the miaminetstat -r -n output it showed that the other network 192.168.0.255 routed through ppp0.  But it also showed my default gateway now as ppp0.  When I tried to ping the server on the other side, EVERYTHING locked up :)

Reboot, will try a manual route.  The only problem is miamiroute does not seem to accept the syntax I am feeding it based upon the route man page (miamidx.guide refers to BSD route.)  Perhaps I am working with the wrong route command.  Will have to play again later.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:42:42 AM »
Got it working.  I played with my routes for over an hour, only to find that my routes were not the problem, but rather the "Data Encryption" setting in the ppp0 interface.

The route turned out to be pretty easy (especially once I found the correct BSD syntax.)

Code: [Select]
miamiroute add -net 192.168.x.0 192.168.x.y
Where x is the matching octect of the remote network, and y is the IP address of the far end of the ppp0 connection.  In this case, y=19:

Code: [Select]
miamiifconfig ppp0
ppp0: flags=8011
        inet 192.168.1.13 --> 192.168.1.19 netmask 0xffffff00

Why does encryption not work?  Well, truth be told I am not using the correct version of the encryption library for MiamiSSL.  I will work to correct that soon and try again.  For my purposes in this scenario, encryption is not an imperitive, though it is very important in the long-term.  As is the fact that RRAS is allowing unencrypted connections in the first place.  (Time for more hardening.)

Hope this helps someone else.  It was a little annoying, but more fun.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:46:39 AM by LoadWB »

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 07:37:36 AM »
You can't configure the default gateway into the tunnel. That makes the tunnel end unreachable and it will break up - but you've already figured that out. ;)

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »
MiamiDx documentation states that the Data Encryption option in PPP Settings only supports Microsoft's MPPE for PPTP connection.  Which is obviously fine for my purposes. When activated, however, the PPTP tunnel does not work -- MiamiDx shows data transmitted, and RRAS show data received, but there is no data from RRAS to MiamiDx.

Additionally, last night I fired up YAM to search through all my stuff from Nordic Global to look for my Miami key and SSL library (as well as the terse email from Holger about how I pirated his software when my key was replaced by the bogus Digital Corruption datatype trojan way back when -- yeah, I fell for it, too)  All I have is my original Miami.key1 file, and nothing else.  So I no longer have origmiamisslusa.library available to me, which might or might not be my problem.

Ah, well.  It does work without encryption, which will suffice for now.

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
A year later and I finally got back to this.  I found and installed my copy of the Miami SSL library for USA, and the PPP encryption still does not work.