Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Poseidon  (Read 1273 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fizTopic starter

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Poseidon
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:17:32 PM »
Ive never really been one to follow licenses, but am wondering what Poseidon having recently become open source means exactly ? Does it become effectively freeware ? Also I vaguely recall there being support for Amithlon dropped at one point. Is anyone able to elaborate to me why ?  Reason I ask is that Id like to use it on my Amithlon machine and am wondering how to go about this ? Thanks in advance.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
Re: Poseidon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:22 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;536984
Ive never really been one to follow licenses, but am wondering what Poseidon having recently become open source means exactly ? Does it become effectively freeware ?

I don't think licensing changed for previous versions, but you are of course free to grab the sources from AROS and build an 68k version.
Also I vaguely recall there being support for Amithlon dropped at one point. Is anyone able to elaborate to me why ?  Reason I ask is that Id like to use it on my Amithlon machine and am wondering how to go about this ? Thanks in advance.

I think Poseidon versions after 4.0 only supports licensed (E3B) hardware, so the latest 3.x release and the ArakAttack driver is probably the easiest way to go about it... provided you have keyfile.
~

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
Re: Poseidon
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;536984
Ive never really been one to follow licenses, but am wondering what Poseidon having recently become open source means exactly ? Does it become effectively freeware ? Also I vaguely recall there being support for Amithlon dropped at one point. Is anyone able to elaborate to me why ?  Reason I ask is that Id like to use it on my Amithlon machine and am wondering how to go about this ? Thanks in advance.

What Golem said is pretty much accurate. The APL'ed AROS sources of Poseidon can be used to do pretty much, including porting it back to 68k, including Amithlon. In fact, I'm pretty astonished that this has not happened yet.

However, the existing Amiga 68k versions of Poseidon (V1.x, V2.x, V3.x and V4.x) and their binaries remain what they were before, thus not covered by APL and certainly not freeware. It is still illegal to spread keyfiles.

About why dropping Amithlon support:
1) Amithlon is dead. It barely runs any recent PC hardware. Amithlon itself cannot be bought any longer, and probably >95% of the installations out there are pirate copies.
2) When dropping the keyfile scheme and locking it to E3B hardware, Amithlon was a casuality, too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 11:54:54 AM by platon42 »
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM