Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PSA: Tototek Playstation controller adapter works!  (Read 2715 times)

Description:

Offline MotoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Moto
PSA: Tototek Playstation controller adapter works!
« on: November 14, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
Last night I played 3 hours of Deluxe Galaga AGA using a borrowed PSone controller and a modified Tototek joystick adapter.  It worked great and today I have the sore (right) thumb to prove it.

So I ordered the Megadrive/MegaSystem adapter from Tototek.
It arrived one week later (all the way from Hong Kong). I wired it up according to what was posted in this thread.  It was a little confusing but after using my multimeter to verify that the instructions were correct and verifying the pin outs for the Genesis and Atari ports, I did the hack and it worked 100%.  You have to basically swap pin 5 and 7 in order to get the adapter the +5v it needs. You also need to give the SEL pin +5v.  It would be nice if Tototek offered the preconfigured Atari/Commodore version and I'm a little surprised they don't.

So it works, D-Pad, Analog stick, both fire buttons and a few "bonus features".  You get rapid fire when you hold down one of the shoulder buttons and press fire.  It was actually quite useful for Deluxe Galaga.  There's also a slo-mo mode which may be good for games like GODS.

I think this is a nice alternative for those of us who are more accustomed to using game pad controllers rather than the older Atari style joysticks.

It should also theoretically allow me to hook up my x-arcade controller to the amiga (with the appropriate PSX adapter from them).  That may be a future project.
500, 1200, 4000T

Offline Cammy

Re: PSA: Tototek Playstation controller adapter works!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 01:43:28 AM »
Hey, that sounds pretty neat. It's a shame the adapter won't support all 7 CD32 buttons though, as an X-Arcade making use of six buttons for Super Street Fighter II and Fightin' Spirit would be awesome. Unfortunately it also won't work with PS2 Guitar controllers, which are definitely the best way to play Tracker Hero.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:47:55 PM »
@Moto

Is there any button that can be pressed that equals UP on the joystick?

(Useful in many platform games and some racing games)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline MotoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
@ChaosLord:  

Here's the mapping:  "X" = Joystick button 1, "O" = Joystick button 2
Analog stick = directional (left, right, up, down)
But then you also have the DPAD which are individual directional buttons mapped to each 4 directions as well.  

@cammy

Yes, that's true.   It looks like the CD32 interface uses some kind of serialized interface for all those extra buttons.  Not something that this adapter is designed to do.  But this adapter will work on all the regular machines with the old Atari interface which is nice (Vic20, C64, 2600, et al).

Now I just need to find a PSX to Apple II joystick converter!
500, 1200, 4000T

Offline tone007

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
Quote from: Moto;529839
Now I just need to find a PSX to Apple II joystick converter!

That sounds trickier, what with the analog nature of the Apple II joysticks.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever