Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just need to talk to people who understand...  (Read 6071 times)

Description:

Offline J-GoldenTopic starter

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
Just need to talk to people who understand...
« on: November 14, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
Hey guys this is most likely the oddest post you'll have ever read, but I just need to vent to a friend, an AMIGA friend...

Growing up, there was an Amiga store that introduced me to the miggy, then i was introduced to the local users group and made immediate friends.

Through my life I owned every major type of the Amiga but a 3000 variant with my highlights being a towered A1200, followed by (I think) 8 or 9 different systems, all setup and running, culminating in one A4000T fitted with a PPC and Mediator with all the fixings.

I had Amiga friends and I had Amiga computers.  Now, I have none.

The store has been gone for years and the users group is little more then a web page and yahoo group.  I still catch word from a member here and there but I've even moved to the other side of the US so getting together is not going to happen.

As for my A4000T, I sold it two years ago to fiance my wedding...  I still think now and then if there might have been a way to do it all without selling that piece of my life.  My wife tries to understand and even let me have money when times were tight to get Amiga Forever, but it just isn't the same!

And it sounds SO STUPID but it hurts!  I still hang around the forums for no tangible reason but I can't let go!

I tried emulators, even custom made an Xbox to pay homage, but they were frustrating and not the real thing.  An Amiga to me wasn't only an easily used and understood OS like some say OSX is or a Fun to hack/mod hardware box.  IT WAS BOTH!

Frustrations upon frustrations as I see cool and new ideas made that I can't get my hands on to tinker!

GAH!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Gulliver

Re: Just need to talk to people who understand...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:17:16 AM »
I understand you, my father bought me an A500 back in 1987. I have a lot of of good memmories playing together with my dad, with my friends at that time. The years passed and i gradually upgraded and bought new Amigas until 1995, when i sold everything.
Time passed, but i could never get that feeling with PCs, no matter how good they were.
So for the last six years i have been slowly but steadily building my actual soupped-up A1200, just to feel that warm sensation i had back then.
Bottom line: Emulation is not the same feeling, it is so soul-less. There is a hidden emotional value in those Amiga computers that in my case, no system will replace!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 02:03:03 AM »
I understand you too!  It's hard to explain I use computers every day that run rings around what an Amiga could do, but I find myself flicking on the old 3000 and remembering when doing things that were magic wasn't so much like work.  I think it's a bit like when you are writing a paper, word processing has become so fancy that you have to get exactly the right font, paragraph style, every mechanical thing correct that you can't enjoy the writing anymore.

And I don't get impressed anymore, I remember the astonishment at the Amiga demos, nobody had been there before, they were pushing technology.  Now technology has become so advanced that you might be able to nudge it a little bit once in a great while, but push?  FOrget about it.

Computers today are nothing but tools.  You can't really love them.  And there's no way back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 02:06:59 AM »
The only advice I can offer is to concentrate your life on other things that make you happy and you have some control over and hopefully you will succeed in your career, what ever that may be, so that you will have the money to spend on this very expensive hobby OS again and you can buy yourself a SAM440, or used Pegasos2, or if you like MorphOS (like I do) you can get a used G4 MacMini and begin enjoying the next generation Amiga systems and fellowship.

Also, with more success in your life and career, you can afford to travel to attend events like AmiWest 2010 next October and have fun with other people that feel the same way, or similar to yourself.

I cannot stress enough that computers are only tools and entertainment devices and more people should take a look at the example of the webmaster here, Wayne, who has come to the realization that life is more important than computers, or computer OSes.  I do understand the comradarie of the Amiga community and how you can feel disconnected to that community now, but it can change if you make other changes to your life to allow it to happen.

Good luck and hang in there.

Edit: Try AmiKit with your AmigaForever and I think you will enjoy the emulation experience more.  I am typing this into IBrowse2.4 on my PC using AmigaForever & AmiKit right now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:09:26 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Tension

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 02:17:50 AM »
D.i.v.o.r.c.e.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:55:42 AM »
@J-Golden

There are some FPGA-based Amiga cores and systems being designed.  The Natami is my favorite.  It may cost something similar to the A4000 new but it will be a PCI card-slot box with a Super-AGA set of cores in its 2 FPGAs.  To get the details and even participate in the design, see http://www.natami.net/ .  Another one is the MiniMig but it's not AGA compatible yet and it costs something too.

As for the next-generation systems it will be a little while yet before they get sufficient fragment shader capabilities in their graphics infrastructure to emulate the Copper coprocessor in a timely fashion without loading down the main processor.

I hope this gives you something to look forward to.  Feel free to post more on this thread if you want more information and sympathy.  FWIW, I've still got my A1200 from 1993 but I seldom use it.  I'm still single and unemployed though so I may be able to use it again someday.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 03:14:13 AM »
I hear ya loud and clear and yes, nothing beats the real thing! maybe one day you can find a used classic for a great price in your local paper and I strongly suggest considering treating yourself to AmigaOS4.1 and a new Sam flex as it truly is the best, most modern, Amiga experience around :-)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline RobertB

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by RobertB
    • http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 06:19:29 AM »
Quote from: J-Golden;529476
I had Amiga friends and I had Amiga computers.  Now, I have none.

You can still have Amiga friends and Amiga computers.  It may just take a little more work.
I've even moved to the other side of the US so getting together is not going to happen.

Whereabouts are you?
And it sounds SO STUPID but it hurts!  I still hang around the forums for no tangible reason but I can't let go!

No problem.  We're still here.
I tried emulators, even custom made an Xbox to pay homage, but they were frustrating and not the real thing.

The same for me... an emulator of a Commodore or of an Amiga is not the same.  It's better to use the real hardware.  :)

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 06:53:10 AM »
Where are you located? It's pretty easy to find Amiga deals.. you can get a cheapy 1200 for maybe $50 or 60 bux, unexpanded of course.. but you can build from there!
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 09:52:07 AM »
>And it sounds SO STUPID but it hurts! I still hang around the forums for no tangible reason but I can't let go!

Haha,, . so true :)

I am sure someone would be able to donate an A500/A1200 for free if you live close to them.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
Go download icaros distro of AROS and boot that.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Moto

• Show only replies by Moto
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 02:02:44 PM »
I just came back to the Amiga after having my A500 in the closet since '93!  I ended up getting a "new" 1200 and have been loving every minute of it ever since.   With the conveniences of networking, solid state storage and USB devices the Amiga is way better now than I left it back '93.

I tried the emulators and while they are very impressive it's still not the same feeling.  I imagine it's the same for people who use old synthesizers.  There's just something about using the real equipment that makes it a totally different experience.  Plus it's fun fixing up and modding the real equipment.

I look at the Amiga the same as any other hobby.  You have a certain amount of free time to spend and however you spend it is up to you.  I'm very pleased that there's still a community here and as well as a thriving market place along with great hardware manufacturers like Indivision.  That makes a world of difference.

So go grab yourself a new/used Amiga and start having fun with it ASAP!
500, 1200, 4000T

Offline x303

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;529476
Growing up, there was an Amiga store that introduced me to the miggy...

The store has been gone for years...

Frustrations upon frustrations as I see cool and new ideas made that I can't get my hands on to tinker!

Here's the store now: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/index.php?currency=USD¤cy=USD ;)

x303 :D :D :D

Offline JC

• Show only replies by JC
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »
I'm with ya man, I miss the old days too. There used to be 5 Amiga stores near me or at least not that big a deal to drive to from where I live. 2 in PA 2 in DE and one in NJ. One of the ones in PA even had a small computer museum in it and one of the stores in DE held user group meetings and sponsored bus trips to World Of Amiga shows in NYC. I just recently bought a Samiga in hopes to rekindle my Amiga interest and I do like it very much but it's just not quite the same. I couldn't get it on the net and was unable to even find anyone to assist me with getting it online. Heck back in the old days there was all kinds of help. Being an Amiga user was exciting back then and the Amiga was a real thrill to use thanks to Jay Miners design. I must say that the Amiga is still a joy to use, just not quite the thrill ride it once was which I'm sure has to do with many things but mostly that I'm getting old. ;-)
A1000, A500, A600, A1200, CDTV, A2000, A4000 Towered, SamFlex 800mhz,

Offline Mr_DBUG

• Show only replies by Mr_DBUG
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »
I can relate to the topic, I also had a similar thing recently with the C64, and also the Amiga , The C64 being an even tougher object to get specimens for any reliable extensive usage..  

And about current Computers - PCs - they have simply become GODLESS, SOULLESS, cant be trusted .. "Trusted Computing" - yeah right ... Did  PCs really ever have a soullike sensation ? And when did Apple lose it ?

And one thing, you pretty much knew what was going on in your Amiga or C64 at any one time, but with PCs you might have a trojan spying or you just dont know whats going on in the box , "WHY IS that drivelight flickering ALL the time ?! Im not really DOING anything .. " Paranoia , sure .. But it adds up to a feeling that , that computer isnt really your friend... Worse now with Win 7 ..

To get on topic. I did however starting in this May of 09 get a few machines used in ok condition, one in seemingly excellent condition (a C64G) and a couple of 1581 disk drives !!! I laid down quite some cash on them (I live in Norway). Could not believe my luck to get the 1581s, 3-4 times the storage of a 1541 floppy. And Ive even since then been able to find two routes to get software from the net over to the C64s .. !

I also have gotten more into my 4 Amigas, getting the old A500 i got in 1988 , my prescious I had back then, set up on a 20 inch TV with RGB to scart cable. My CDTV, A1200 and CD32 is also set up .. I have yet to find the time to play extensively with them though..

IF ONLY .. IF ONLY .. Commodore had, had proper management, there would not have been so many nostalgic Amigans ... Then we would have had Amigas still,, Maybe there would have been a triopoly instead of the Windows, MacOS duopoly, yeah I forgot Linux .. But thats a PC too .. :-) If slightly better ..

And what about the conspiracy theory Ive come to have, that Amiga DID NOT DIE, IT WAS KILLED !! Secret agreement between the powers that be, that there was no room for "Amiga" in the IT landscape ... ? Only Microsoft and Apple .. Ok Ok this is way offtopic :-)

Anyway, my solution to my nostalgia problem was to keep tinkering in the remainder of the Amiverse... The classics being my passion. With in my case also a big if not biggest portion in the C64 world .. !

But the hope is that the Natami happens before the flu kills us all, and that mayyybe Jens Schoenfeld has a a few Cloned A's up his sleeve .. ! And that Minimig gets a properly put together featureset, 030 CPU, enough ram, preassembled ARM expansion etc. In a nice case to buy. ReadyMade(tm). And for me that I can sustain my Amiga and C64 passion on used hardware and NewOld stock till then ... Old hardware cant last forever, and my repair skills are pretty bad..

What can I suggest ? Hang on to Amiga, if you want to, if only by a thread. Things will not be the same, but they never are ..

Remember fondly the good past while looking forward to the future. Maybe something will come along. While you tend to the daily business of Life After the heyday of the first Amiga age. And to be honest , I KNOW emulators arent the same, but WinUAE / Amigaforever is getting good - atleast for games, and particularily on a CRT. And a biggish update is on the way I read on winuae.net.