Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE and the Internet  (Read 3526 times)

Description:

Offline sim085Topic starter

• Show only replies by sim085
WinUAE and the Internet
« on: November 12, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
Hello,

My set-up is Workbench 3.1 installed on a CF card. This allows me to use my set-up (Workbench 3.1) on both the real hardware (A500+) and also WinUAE. At the moment it is impossible for me to connect the amiga to the home network and therefore I was wondering if could build my set-up on WinUAE instead.

In other words what I am asking is if it is possible to browse the Internet using AmiTCP and AMosaic (or some other browser) on Workbench 3.1 when running on WinUAE!

Regards,
Sim085

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: WinUAE and the Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »
Quote from: sim085;529272
it is possible to browse the Internet using AmiTCP and AMosaic (or some other browser) on Workbench 3.1 when running on WinUAE

You don't need to install AmiTCP. Just enable the bsdsocket.library emulation in WinUAE and you're set.

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:39:45 PM »
There's no need to install AMITCP. Just select bsdsocket emulation in the misc panel of winuae and after starting emulation you can install and use a browser of your choice.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:51:33 PM »
Thank you both for the quick reply. So what happens in WinUAE when you enable this library? I mean if nothing is installed on my set-up then how does Workbench know what it has to do with TCP requests?

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »
Quote from: sim085;529279
So what happens in WinUAE when you enable this library?

Nothing. The only difference is that there's a bsdsocket.library in memory. All network applications use this library.

I mean if nothing is installed on my set-up then how does Workbench know what it has to do with TCP requests?

Workbench doesn't handle or know anything about TCP requests.

Workbench 3.1 doesn't include any network applications. You have to install them.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:30:13 PM »
Quote from: Piru;529280
Nothing. The only difference is that there's a bsdsocket.library in memory. All network applications use this library.

On real amiga hardware there would not be bsdsocket.library running in memory when Workbench boots up unless I install something like AmiTCP right? or?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:35:44 PM by sim085 »

Offline MozzerFan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
bsdsocket emulation makes use of the PC's TCP connection. To use bsdsocket emulation, you must have a working internet connection on the PC side (under windows).

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
I spent some time thinking about this and am not sure if I have arrived to the right conclusion - If I am on real amiga hardware then I need AmiTCP to manage my TCP messages. However on WinUAE I can just enable the bsdsocket.library without the need to have AmiTCP installed.

What is confusing me is how this is all worked out inside Workbench. If I have an application that needs to send a message on TCP then how does this manage to do so? Does it always search for bsdsocket.library?

Offline MozzerFan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
To make use of TCP/IP services on a real amiga you need bsdsocket.library.
On a real amiga this library is created by the TCP/IP stack (genesis, miami, amitcp).

Under winuae you can make use of  bsdsocket emulation. Winuae creates the library and through emulation makes use of the windows internet connection.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:03 PM »
Quote from: MozzerFan;529301
To make use of TCP/IP services on a real amiga you need bsdsocket.library.
On a real amiga this library is created by the TCP/IP stack (genesis, miami, amitcp).

Under winuae you can make use of  bsdsocket emulation. Winuae creates the library and through emulation makes use of the windows internet connection.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I think I understand better now :)

Offline don27dog

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »
A little off topic but I am in the process of moving my BBS from A3000T to WinUAE. I have moved all the files and get the BBS to to boot but can't not get telnetd to work under winUAE has anyone played around with this or have any ideas for me to try?
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 150Mhz, 68060 50 Mhz, 128Meg Ram, IndivisionAGA, Deneb USB Controller, Zorram 256, Os3.9/Os4.0 Classic
Amiga 3000T Warp Engine 4040, Elbox FastATA Controller, Progressive Perpherals ProRam3000 64Meg, Mediator, VoodooIII, Os3.9

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
Quote from: don27dog;529323
A little off topic but I am in the process of moving my BBS from A3000T to WinUAE. I have moved all the files and get the BBS to to boot but can't not get telnetd to work under winUAE has anyone played around with this or have any ideas for me to try?

Probably the bsdsocket emulation built into WinUAE.  It works great for most applications, but for some reason most server type applications won't work with the built in bsdsocket emulation.  I found this out after trying to get some web server stuff running under WinUAE.

So, the solution is to turn off bsdsocket emulation and use something like Miami or Genesis.

Kinda tricky to setup, but then it's using an actual Amiga TCP/IP stack and server stuff works.

Here's sort of I guide for how I did it...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27227&forum=8
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:18:52 PM by AmigaHeretic »
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »
Sorry to bring this up again. However just wanted to ask a simple question. Am I right to conclude that AmiTCP is right for the problem depending on how my A500+ is connected to the network? Or?