Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Error 4 In Drive Description - Why?  (Read 1233 times)

Description:

Offline dannyp1Topic starter

• Show only replies by dannyp1
Error 4 In Drive Description - Why?
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
I've been trying to set-up an A3000T that I recently acquired and can't seem to get the HDToolBox program to properly install a hard-drive.  I have tried a couple of different hard-drives that work fine on other Amiga's but when I try to use the HDToolBox I keep getting an "Error 4 In Drive Description" error.  I've never run into this before.  When I tried to search for the problem here on the org I see where other people have run into this but I don't see a solution or what the error means.  When I first start the HDToolBox It properly reads the SCSI devices.  When I click on a hard-drive I get a message that says the drive is not installed and asks if I want to install it.  I answer yes and then when it attempts to install the drive I get the "Error 4 In Drive Description" error.   Help!!!

Dan

Offline Lockon_15

• Show only replies by Lockon_15
Re: Error 4 In Drive Description - Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:35:42 PM »
Can you get us some details...something like HDD name/model, HDINSTTOOLS version. It might prove useful if you have issue with reading proper disk geometry.
A500+/KS3.1/GVPA530/2MbChipRam+8MbFastRAM 2GbCF/YAMAHA CDRW

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:51:56 PM »
The version of the HDToolBox is the one that came with BB2 for 3.9.  I also tried the one that came with 3.9 on the CD.  The one with 3.5 won't work either.

The 2 hard-drives I am trying at the moment are:
Samsung - WN32162u - 2.16GB
DEC - R226B - 1.0GB

I can get the drives partitioned using a program from aminet but it has issues also.  Just what does the Error 4 mean?

Dan

Offline Lockon_15

• Show only replies by Lockon_15
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:04:18 PM »
Ouch, I better be reading more carefully, HDTOOLBOX....
No experience with OS3.5 or 3.9 version, just 3.1.
Did HDINSTTOOLS (I guess that's a program from Aminet) reported same error code ?
It seems to me that you tried to perform automatic installation which has some kind of issue. Maybe you should answer no when asked and then proceed to manual install. There should be some option for reading disk configuration - try to write down feedback and then compare it with values labeled at disk sticker. Use smaller disk for start.
A500+/KS3.1/GVPA530/2MbChipRam+8MbFastRAM 2GbCF/YAMAHA CDRW

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:20 PM »
I've narrowed down the problem a little more.  It seems to only happen when a Cyberstorm MKII is installed in the computer.  I tried a couple of different CSMKII's and the HDToolBox wouldn't work with any of them.  The program works fine using the internal 030 and also works fine using an A3640 card.  I have used MKII's many times in A3000D's without having this problem and I have used the MKII in an A3000T before and it worked fine but that tower was a 040 model.  Anyone else ever run into this?  

Dan