Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Installed a program & now can't find resource.library v44  (Read 2647 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Installed a program & now can't find resource.library v44
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:44:18 PM »
Help please!

Just installed ImageFX to my HD and now something's messed up. It must have overwritten a newer file with an older, but which one? And I performed an "expert" install to avoid this very situation. Upon startup, OS 3.9 now says that it can't load the dock because resource.library v. 44 is not found. Well, I copied that back to Libs and now when the computer boots, I get a ramlib error which renders the computer useless. I can't even boot from a 3.1 WB floppy. No icons appears. Nothing.

Before it got to this stage, I tried commenting out what ImageFX added to startup-sequence and user-startup to no avail. At the CLI, when requesting a version for resource.library - it tells me that it cannot find information for resource.library. I re-copied v.44 and get the results in the first paragraph.

I've installed and used this program before, but never had this happen to me  :-(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:08:25 PM by save2600 »

Offline Damion

Re: Installed a program & now can't find resource.library v44
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
Quote from: save2600;518130
Help please!

Just installed ImageFX to my HD and now something's messed up. It must have overwritten a newer file with an older, but which one? And I performed an "expert" install to avoid this very situation. Upon startup, OS 3.9 now says that it can't load the dock because resource.library v. 44 is not found. Well, I copied that back to Libs and now when the computer boots, I get a ramlib error which renders the computer useless. I can't even boot from a 3.1 WB floppy. No icons appears. Nothing.

Before it got to this stage, I tried commenting out what ImageFX added to startup-sequence and user-startup to no avail. At the CLI, when requesting a version for resource.library - it tells me that it cannot find information for resource.library. I re-copied v.44 and get the results in the first paragraph.

I've installed and used this program before, but never had this happen to me  :-(

As far as the 3.1 floppy not booting - might be something in that updated ROM. :( One of the updated modules prevents floppy booting from anything but NDOS disks, and I haven't had time yet to figure out which one. Hopefully you can boot without startup and copy back the original library (that is if you renamed it instead of deleting it).

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
Quote from: save2600;518130
Just installed ImageFX to my HD and now something's messed up. It must have overwritten a newer file with an older, but which one?

http://www.gregdonner.org/os39faq/installtips.html#20

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 10:13:34 PM »
Thanks fella's. Well, when the system semi-worked, I replaced the resource.library file and would then get a ramlib error that froze my computer. That's all I get now, no matter what I do. I bet the ImageFX program wrote over my 68060.library. I remember the damn program asking me if I had that processor. I did have some old gadgets in another folder I transferred over, but it got me to where I am now: stuck. Well, I can boot into the CLI and edit files and such, but...

And of course, even though everything is loaded in Deneb's flash that's supposed to
allow early startup service, I cannot access my backup which is on my USB flash drives.

Not sure what else to do now but throw the comp... errr, I mean - open it up, replace the KS ROM, and go from there - again and repeat.

edit:

I somehow managed to gain control of the floppy and copy over what I think is the latest 68060.lib, but
I still get the ramlib error and the computer freezes :-(
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:22:49 PM by save2600 »

Offline Damion

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »

With Damion's special ROM installed, I can't access the floppy to get the correct 68060.library re-installed.  :-(    Actually, the floppy spins and sounds as if it is booting 3.1, but before too long, I get a couple of yellow Guru screens and then nothing.

Sorry about that! It might be one of the BB2 updates (I don't think it's Piru's exec or BlizKick modules). I think I will mess around with it this eve and try to figure out what it is. Do you have a KS switcher around? Sometimes it's handy to switch back to a standard 3.1 ROM for troubleshooting.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »
Ahh... it's always something Damion, isn't it  :-)  lol  

I can boot from the early startup into a CLI. If only I could access my USB flashdrives...

Quick Amiga 101 question: how do I see what devices are mounted from the CLI in the
off chance the system sees my flash drive?  (can't remember what I named those things)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:41:24 PM by save2600 »

Offline Damion

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:29 PM »

Quick Amiga 101 question: how do I see what devices are mounted from the CLI in the
off chance the system sees my flash drive?  (can't remember what I named those things)

Entering ASSIGN should do it.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 01:50:34 AM »
Quote from: Damion;518153
Entering ASSIGN should do it.

Ahhh yeah, that did the trick. Great little command that ASSIGN. I didn't learn much in
the way of what exactly went wrong. Piru's pointer about the gadgets DID help, but there
was still something else going on that caused these endless ramlib errors. Turns out I
forgot I had a small 3.1 partition on my HD, so I copied the 060.libs & Trident over to it
and from there I was able to restore my boot partition. I totally forgot during my last
HD debacle that I set aside a 128mb "save my ass" partition. LOL!   Have never been a
big backup kind of guy until late. It really is totally necessary. Whew!  

Thanks for the helps. Wish I knew exactly what it was that ImageFX screwed up (was not
the 060.libs as I had originally thought) that was giving me those ramlib errors, but oh
well.

Offline tone007

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
I think half the fun is breaking the OS and getting it working again.  As a matter of fact, that's all I seem to do with my Amigas aside from sticking new hardware in them.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 02:40:54 AM »
I make a habit of browsing through any install package and reading the install script before running it. If it looks like any files are at risk of being overwritten, they get backed up. And I create an install log whenever possible.

ImageFX futzes with chooser.gadget and dumps a few things in Libs: as well. Can't remember what else it does. I really wish it would use PROGDIR: instead of SYS: for shared files.

Offline nishtek

• Show only replies by nishtek
    • http://www.nishtek.com
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:04:19 AM »
Simplest (but longest) solution is to reinstall OS 3.9 and all the boing bags (if you have a fast cdrom drive it will take only a few minutes).

Image FX copies its own gadgets.library and few other things.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:07:40 AM by nishtek »
----
Nishtek.com