Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Booting from USB stick via Deneb USB controller  (Read 3071 times)

Description:

Offline mbrantleyTopic starter

Booting from USB stick via Deneb USB controller
« on: July 02, 2009, 03:05:32 AM »
I just received my third Deneb card from AmigaKit, and at this rate my Denebs will soon outnumber my functional SCSI drives. Seriously, I lost another SCSI drive the other day, and two surplus OEM SCSI drives I bought recently for backups proved to be dead.

So, I'd like to set up one or more of my Amigas to boot from USB memory stick via Deneb. Very specifically, how do I do this? My first assumption is that I format a stick with a bootable FFS partition of appropriate size and copy an OS installation to it. I also have read that I should copy some stuff to the Deneb onboard flash memory, but I haven't run across a specific listing of the files that should be copied there.

Thanks, my good Amiga pals, for holding my hand through another adventure.

Offline MozzerFan

• Show only replies by MozzerFan
Re: Booting from USB stick via Deneb USB controller
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:59:57 AM »
- You have to put Poseidon in the flashrom of the deneb.
There is a menu option in Luciferin to do this. It adds all poseidon files to the upload list.

- Next partition and format the USB stick like you would do with a normal harddrive. The device for usb massstorage devices is usbscsi.device.

- Install your system files to the USB stick. after that you can boot from the USB stick.

If your system doesn't boot and your usb stick can't be found in the boot menu, try to increase the startup-delay value of your usb stick in trident prefs.
edit: don't forget to reflash the deneb rom if you changed the startup-delay, or else there will be an old version of psdstackloader in the flashrom
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:07:05 AM by MozzerFan »

Offline mbrantleyTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »
Quote from: MozzerFan;514197
There is a menu option in Luciferin to do this. It adds all poseidon files to the upload list.

Ah, I overlooked that menu option. Thanks!

Offline tekmage

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:15 AM »
This also helped me!  Thank you google and Amiga.org :)

Bill "tekmage" Borsari

Offline mboehmer_e3b

• Show only replies by mboehmer_e3b
    • http://www.e3b.de/usb/
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »
One warning here: if you change settings in Poseidon on a system booted from USB stick, you will run into troubles, as Poseidon will restart the stack then... which will cut off your USB stick.

Michael

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
Oh hell that sounds pretty easy. Safe to say that you could do this with a true hardrive, with proper adapters and power, like an external case HD does?

Oh...:rolleyes:
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline platon42

• Show only replies by platon42
    • http://www.platon42.de/
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »
Quote from: mboehmer_e3b;569223
One warning here: if you change settings in Poseidon on a system booted from USB stick, you will run into troubles, as Poseidon will restart the stack then... which will cut off your USB stick.

Michael

Bullshit. Only if the new configuration no longer has the host controller hardware in it, it will be removed.
--
Regards, Chris Hodges )-> http://www.platon42.de <-(
hackerkey://v4sw7CJS$hw6/7ln6pr7+8AOP$ck0ma8u2LMw1/4Xm5l3i5TJCOTextPad/e7t2BDMNb7GHLen5a34s5IMr1g3/5ACM

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 01:02:55 AM »
Quote from: platon42;569274
Bullshit. Only if the new configuration no longer has the host controller hardware in it, it will be removed.

Bloody hell!  Have you too had a falling out or something?  Still, "Bullshit" is shorter to write than "You are mistaken".  :)

Anyway, quick question:

I've just stuck my A4000 mobo into a tower case and replaced the original Zorro daughter board with an Elbox Mediator A4000 rev 1.0.

Before, I'm sure my Deneb was working using the DMA device, but now it can't start it and I'm using the PIO device (Z2 will also work if I set the jumper on the Deneb card).

Hardware-wise, I've used the flashROM to run NOIDE and NOCLICK, attached a FastATA4000 (which I used in the desktop configuration previously with no issues) which has a CD card adapter, 80GB hard drive, CD ROM and ZIP100 drive attached.  I have a different CPU card fitted (Warp Engine with a 60840 and 64MB) and an Indivision.  I've also attached a Soundblaster card and a Virge PCI Grpahics card - AFTER the problem).  Oh, and I'm running OS3.9 using the "Classic Workbench" download pack.

Any ideas or is this normal with a Mediator board?

One other additional problem is that I can't get my USB Ethernet Asixtheth.device to work properly (can't find the DNS server, even though the reported DNS server IP address is entered in the config) and Genesis keeps reporting a problem with the S2 config.  I've just downloaded update 4.4 for the USB stack which mentions fixing a Sana issue so I'll install that when I finish unpacking KillaGorilla's WHDLoad packs and install them in Classic Workbench.  However, it might be due to the fact that I've switched from my old cable modem to DSL...

And some advice to anybody with a big-box Amiga that hasn't bought a Deneb yet:  DO IT!!!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.