Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga Inc and Ack Release Design Specs  (Read 4592 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WBTopic starter

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Amiga Inc and Ack Release Design Specs
« on: April 30, 2007, 09:46:55 PM »
From Amiga.com

Entry Level Design Details from ACK Controls and Amiga
Entry level product ready for Customers Summer 2007

Issaquah, Wash and Fonthill, ON Canada – April 29, 2007 – ACK Controls and Amiga, Inc. are pleased to announce the base hardware design that will address the needs of the Amiga market as well offering expansion into other markets.

“The first product release is designed for flexibility and meeting the needs of the Amiga user, as well as offer a design that takes advantage of available hardware”, said Adam Kowalczyk President of ACK Systems

This new system will be offered at a suggested retail price of $ 489.00 and be a complete offering excluding monitor in a finished design that will provide customers with everything they need to get started.

* Flex-ATX form factor motherboard based on the Freescale MPC8349E SoC. (400MHz to 667MHz depending on requirements and price target)
    * 1 (one) DDR2 DIMM slot expandable to 1GB using unregistered DIMMs.
    * 1 (one) 66MHz PCI slot for use with readily available graphics cards.
    * 2 (two) 33MHz  PCI slots for additional expansion.
    * 2 (two) 10/100/1Gb Ethernet Ports.
    * 4 (four) Hi Speed USB ports.
    * 2 (two) serial ports.
    * 4 (four) SATA ports provided by a Silicon Image Sil3114 controller.
    * Onboard sound provided by a C-Media CMI8738.
    * Socketed EEPROM for U-Boot firmware.
    * Atmel ATC2408A serial EEPROM (1 kb of non-volatile storage)
    * Dallas DS1339 RTC with battery holder.
    * Standard ATX power supply connector.

“Amiga is please to be working with ACK Controls and believe that by using flexible designs and aggressive manufacturing practices we will be able to deliver to our customers a great product at a great price”, said Bill McEwen of Amiga, Inc.
Manufacturing partner and final ship schedule will be following soon.

About Amiga
Amiga, Inc. is the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies. For almost two decades its award-winning software has been a mainstay for motion picture studios, multimedia creators, and digital entertainment enthusiasts around the world. Today Amiga builds on this legacy leading the way in multimedia development by providing developers with hardware-independent technologies for writing and porting applications to new platforms and interactive devices. For more information visit www.amiga.com.

About ACK
ACK Software Controls, Inc. specializes in the area of embedded controls design for use in automation systems where low-power consumption and reliability is an absolute must.  Concentrating on design for manufacturing with local manufacturing facilities has allowed ACK to quickly and cost-effectively develop solutions for customers with low-volume requirements.  By integrating hardware, firmware, and device driver engineering capability in-house, ACK can provide complete turn-key solutions to customers.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline guru-666

• Show only replies by guru-666
Re: Amiga Inc and Ack Release Design Specs
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:51:40 PM »
And they want me to PAY for this? Interesting..
PCI graphics?  they still make them?  And these people claim to be leaders in multimedia.. more like NOT!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »
Unless that price includes a big hard drive, at least 512MB of RAM, DVD-RW drive, and a decent graphics card, it's a little high given the slow processor.

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:37:22 PM »
And they want me to PAY for this? Interesting..

Well Microsoft wants that you pay $399 for Windows Vista Ultimate, and it´s only a piece of plastic.PAY  them then
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline sknight

• Show only replies by sknight
    • http://www.aros.org
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:01:45 PM »
What?!  :-o $489 for an outdated mobo + cpu?
For only 100 bucks more everyone can buy a MacMini with a decent OS included.
Amiga R.I.P.  :boohoo:

Offline guru-666

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »
uhhm Visa?  that a real OS!  It can run a web brower unlike OS4.   Not only the browser but an office suite and LOT's of current software on many differnt platforms.. I can install it on the hardware I already have.   IMO os4 is worth about $50.
shoot I can get fedorea core 6 FOR FREE!

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:05:46 PM »
Then by all means, guru-666, please feel free to leave Amiga.org to the people that are interested in the Amiga, both past and future, and go play with Windows.

Nobody is making you continue to post Amiga-bashing comments here.   :-P
Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD

Offline guru-666

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »
@drewz21
well then you obviosly have no idea who I am and what I think.  
sorry but vista does not compare to amiga OS4... no bashing needed.  It's a well know FACT form people that USE os4(os3.9-3.1) that ther is no browser worth 2 cents.  I know because I'm a user are you?
Just becasue I'm not a windows user does not mean I don;t understand what vista is.  Alos for your info I recomend
fedora core 6 or ubuntu to anybody as it's better than vista.....
now why don't you go back to your wintel box from where you posted your comment.  (i'm on linux right now) :whack:

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:21 PM »
:roflmao:
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 11:27:45 PM »
sad but true, no OS can really compare to windows. not because windows is all-mighty, but because it has the largest user base and more software than all other OSes combined...
supporting amiga is good, but you don't need to be fanatical and blind so you cannot see simple facts.
for me, amiga is a hobby machine that I enjoy and spent too much money on it. I also spent money to buy the software too (os3x, cgx4, whdload, MUI, poseidon, ibrowse, polynet and some games, and frankly I support every good new software, like amijewelled that got released recently... not to mention the hardware or geeky amiga-stuff I buy from amiga-stores these days) I don't want to brag, but sit there and see people denying facts is just lame.

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »
@sknight

For only 100 bucks more everyone can buy a MacMini with a decent OS included.

You get the feeling your on the wrong site  :roll:

Offline Glittering

• Show only replies by Glittering
    • http://Website
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 11:37:04 PM »
Now with that boat anchor (Hyperion) out of the picture, things can finally move on for the better.

Offline jthomas

• Show only replies by jthomas
    • http://www.lightelements.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:45:53 PM »
>Now with that boat anchor (Hyperion) out of the picture, things can finally move on for the better.

Sure.. they only did all the work... what are they useful for ? right? Now, after sitting there doing nothing, it's possible to harvest their work and get  rid of them.... very nice...

Offline drewz21

• Show only replies by drewz21
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 11:47:58 PM »
@guru-666

You are absolutely correct.  I don't know you except from your posts.  That is what I base my comments on.

I was not comparing OS4 to Vista at all.  From your other post you were.  I use Amiga OS 1.3 on my A500 and Amiga OS 3.9 on my A1200.  I don't have anything that runs OS4.0 so I cannot comment on it.  I don't even attempt to browse the Web from my old Amigas.  However, it is something I hope to do on a NEW Amiga and I'm willing to give it a chance.

I use XP and Vista every day.  I've played around with Linux and for me I can see no reason to use it on a day to day basis over Windows.

I ENJOY using my Amigas and have for years.  I would very much like to use a new/modern Amiga right alongside my Windows PC.

This comment posted from my nice Windows based computer running XP Professional on an Intel P4HT 3.4Ghz, with 2GB RAM, 500GB SATA HD, Nvidia GeForce 7800GS OC with 256MB RAM, Sound Blaster Extreme Audio Card with surround sound.  And from this system I can run any off-the-shelf software.  No having to re-compile!  It works great!   :-P

However, I will still buy new Amiga hardware and software if it becomes available as I see it as supporting the Amiga computer platform and not 1 specific company.  I also support AROS and have donated to its development many times.

Enjoy your linux!
 :smack:
Amiga - The fun computer!

Amiga 500 - 3MB, A590, 250MB HD, SupraTurbo28.
Amiga 1200HD - 32MB, 4GB CF-Card, GVP 68030-40Mhz.
Amiga 600HD

Offline guru-666

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
@Glittering
come on I've explained this to you before... don't jump to conclusions... you don;t have the facts.... the trial has not even started...
Here in the U.S.A you have to hear both sides of the story, the ask questions and let the jury decide!
@drewz21
actauly Sombody else started the telling me the price of vista and I was pointing out that THEY are not the same thing.
it's cool.  If this hardware does get out there you are free to buy it.  For me it stoped being an amiga a long time a ago. What I see has nothing to do with amiga it has to do with people using the amiga name to make a quick buck...  Amiga died with commodore and it should have been open sources a long time ago....
BTW compiling your own software can be frustrating but it's VERY rewarding!  I know how well windows works... it's o.k.
:cheers: