Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big book of Amiga Hardware  (Read 2822 times)

Description:

Offline NorwayTopic starter

• Show only replies by Norway
Big book of Amiga Hardware
« on: January 10, 2006, 07:50:24 PM »
The big book of amiga hardware is online again and with this notice,
 "NOTE: All drivers and manuals have been removed and are subject to review.

We are 7 years old this month!"

The FAQ has been updated also.

http://www.amiga-hardware.com

Offline Nickman

• Show only replies by Nickman
Re: Big book of Amiga Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
Great news even though the drivers and manuals are gone.
----
Amiga1200T
Mediator/Voodoo3 3000/100mbit NIC/SB128
Blizzppc 603e 210Mhz 040 25Mhz, 192 mb ram,Bvision
SCSI Ultra320 74GB HD,4x Burner,MO drive.

Offline Coolit

• Show only replies by Coolit
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:41:52 PM »
Such a great site, I'm just glad its back even withought the extras :-)
[color=0066FF]The System:[/color][/u]

A1200/DBOX - B1260/SCSI/198MB Mediator/Voodoo5500/SB128/100NIC/SpiderII FAST ATA Mk3/SCSI Adapter/PC KEY - IDE DVD/SCSI CDRW/80GB IDE HDD/9GIG 10k SCSI HDD - 3.1 ROMS/OS 3.9 - Logitech KB + MX1000 Mouse

Offline Amigaz

• Show only replies by Amigaz
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 08:52:52 PM »
So if you've lost yoir 10 year old drivers disk or it has read errors you're toast..especially if the company who made the hardware no longer exist  :-?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Amiga 4000T - A3640 '040
Amiga 4000 - CS MKIII
Amiga 1200 - Blizzard 1230 MKIV
Amiga 1200 - Stock
Amiga CD32 - TF360
A bunch of ol' A500's

Offline lurkist

• Show only replies by lurkist
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:21:32 PM »
Yeah, I found the http://bboah.claunia.com/ site last night with the drivers removed, thought it had been missed as the main site was still down.

Glad to see it's back, I rely on it all the time.

O.T. - are the options below the Message box slightly different when posting here?
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline Minuous

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 10:18:24 PM »
If there's no drivers or manuals then what is left? What is now the point of the site?

Offline lurkist

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 12:05:44 AM »
We want information, information, information!

Where else can you find out about old Amiga compatible hardware?
A1200 Power Tower, Blizzard 1260 66 +32MB, OS3.9, 2.5\\" HD, IDEfix97 + DVD-RW + Zip, SD/FF + 15\\" CRT, Ioblix1200P + scanner, PCMCIA LAN + router

Offline justthatgood

• Show only replies by justthatgood
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 05:05:26 AM »
Info is nice and all, but if you can't the devices to work, it's kinda a bummer.  Not everyone has the skill to try to create generic drivers to get the devices running either.

But still I guess the info is good if you want to know about some of the workings of the cards (ie the jumpers, pinouts.) The Amiga industry of the past really should allow for quite a few of these drivers for hardware they no longer support to be released more freely.  Weren't they once too Amigans ?
[color=008000]Pluto[/color]:Amiga4KD- 64040/16megs/1GB WD/PAR 2150/1942/WB3.0,3.1,3.9
[color=800080]Amanda[/color]:Amiga2KHD/A2620/8MegSupraRam2k/A2091/VLab

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:06:56 AM »
I never went there for drivers or manuals, tho they were nice to have... Me myself personally, I go there for the most complete information on hardware... Especially when I find something odd on eBay.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline Noster

• Show only replies by Noster
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 12:40:31 PM »
Hi,

> Where else can you find out about old Amiga compatible hardware?

I always look at http://amiga.resource.cx to get information about hardware. There you could also find drivers and manuals for most of the hardware.

Noster
DON\\\'T PANIC
    Douglas Adams - Hitch Hiker\\\'s Guide to the Galaxis

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 04:01:38 PM »
Removing all drivers and manuals because of a single complaint in seven years seems like a gross over-reaction to me. The full value of this site and others like it, is in the provision of documentation and essential software to make the hardware run. The legitimate owner of any piece of hardware is surely entitled to have one working copy of the essential software. The fact that all this stuff is copyrighted by default doesn't mean that every copyright holder is just waiting around, ready to pounce like some kind of techno-luddite. OK, there are occasionally people who will take their ball home when they don't wanna play any more, but most will be happy to let the game continue. After all, the BBAH site wouldn't have got beyond first base if copyrights were an issue to worry about. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning piracy and if that were involved it would be wrong. What I'm saying is that common sense should prevail. I have no doubt whatever that any authors who have an active interest in their rights will scan sites like this on a regular basis and act accordingly. It's clear that almost all such authors are happy with the situation or the BBAH wouldn't have got where it is (or was). So, to recognise the rights of authors, an explicit notice that information and software provided by the site is subject to copyrights of the respective authors should surely be enough? I sincerely hope that the webmaster reconsiders this blanket withdrawal and allows the site to flourish. Without that, I fear it will never again be the force it was.
Cheers, JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 05:27:23 PM »
I never cared much about the drivers or manuals there either i just visit to browse all the different hardware and get info about most amiga hardware related things

Adonay :-D
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline lurkist

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 06:10:02 PM »
http://amiga.resource.cx

Yeah, that's where I went while BBOAH was down, what's there is good, there's just not a lot there.

I also never once looked at the drivers section, this site is all about the info.  If I want a certain type of hardware, e.g. a sampler, I look here to compare the samplers before looking on eBay.  Knowing the individual functions of hardware before bidding is essential (as I discovered in my recent genlock adventures).

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 11:04:14 PM »
http://amiga.resource.cx

Yeah, that's where I went while BBOAH was down, what's there is good, there's just not a lot there.

with all due respect, I disagree. I recall seeing lots of hardware on amiga.resource that wasn't on
bboahahahaha. (And the same vice versa)

I think the two complement each other well in their differing formats - amiga.resource is quick and easy to access - a few categories and a massive page which not only allowed (allows?) you to find a driver quickly (great if you're helping someone in a forum :-)), but also as an easy way of comparing h/w side by side.
bboah is set out differently but in a way that's just as useful, with loads of hi-res pics, quite a bit of info, particularly about revisions.
I like Amigas

Offline redfox

• Show only replies by redfox
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 09:12:11 PM »
:-D