Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: flash-UAE - a nice challange  (Read 1332 times)

Description:

Offline DiskDoctorTopic starter

• Show only replies by DiskDoctor
flash-UAE - a nice challange
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:00:21 PM »
Hello everybody.  I have to get used to the new skin stuff, yet been feeling pretty shy, I don't know why.

I've got a story to tell.  I work remotely but I had to be in the office, call it, for last few days because of some special visitors there.  I noticed my colegues play games occasionally or instantly, just to relax for a while.  They use some special sites with flash arcade gaming.  I was checking it out and realized that this is the same kind of gaming as it was on my good old A500.  Most of the games were just logic puzzles but I saw some nice shooting arcades, stuff like Fire Force.  Of course I ordered them all to download and install E-UAE and they all got thrashed by the typical Amiga retro gaming first impression (they're all at the age not allowing them to have played the games originally).

Hence my idea.

There are various sorts of xUAE, even mobile, for Symbian Nokias.  Say maybe there is a straight path (I say straight, not easy) to front-end UAE as a flash application?  Then all those marvelous games would be accessible anywhere, by anyone.  Say to know about UAE, one has to be familiar with the Amiga.  If all those things were accessible by the browsers, huge amounts of people might instantly start playing Amiga ECS games.  I have an idea for some time that UAE when more accessible (I mean platforms, like mobile, www etc) might make an Amiga flashback at all those ex-A500 owners.  And thus divert some of them for the Quest for the Lost Amiga, which pretty much ends up here, possibly on Sam or MorphOS too.

I'll quote my technical knowledge about it out of what I've got.  I don't know flash.  All I know it's a lightweight scripting vector-based realtime interactive animation engine.  Which pretty much makes the wall between UAE output and any flash program to be processing that.  UAE outputs raster stream of graphics and sound as far as I know.  Which makes it a little more difficult, the issue is how to make a flash GUI for the adf/adz and kick coded games.  Then maybe this would require re-engineering a new UAE instance.  On the other hand I know UAE is just a core. The unanswered question to me is to what extent the original UAE core / code is prepared to present its data by an ambiguous external method, more low-level than the OS's API.

By posting this I actually wonder if this is doable, I mean by a mortal.
Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
Planned soon: an OS4 system
Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: flash-UAE - a nice challange
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
Marry E-UAE with FlashSDL perhaps?