Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga 4000 sound problem  (Read 2028 times)

Description:

Offline Val451Topic starter

• Show only replies by Val451
Amiga 4000 sound problem
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
Hi all. I've not been one to post much here, but I frequent the site almost daily. My love for the Amiga computer goes back 21 years when I bought an Amiga 500. Some years later I bought an Amiga 1200 when the AGA machines hit the market. I tried to stick with it by upgrading as much as possible (GVP accelerator, additional ram, scsi interface with cd-rom, zip drive and syquest drive). Sorry to say I got drawn to the Dark Side when I saw Doom playing on a PC, and I've been using Windows machines since 1996, because of the superior FPS gaming. Still my love for the Amiga OS never died even though my machines for the most part sat unused for many years.

In 2001 I bought 2 Amiga 4000 machines from Ebay but never really sat them up properly, only checking to see if they would boot, then storing them all this time. I had hoped to buy a new system by now, following all the promises from Amiga, Inc. posted here and on other forums. Since it looked like that is never going to happen, last week I pulled one of the Amiga 4000 computers out to set it up. I also got out my 1200 and started fooling with it as well. I bought a 2GB hard drive on Ebay, and did a flawless installation on my 1200, after numerous attempts failing to get a larger hard drive to work.

Someone at work gave me 2 old 2.1GB 3.5" hard drives, so I got a brainstorm. These might work great in one of the 4000's. Several attempts later, I found myself with a functioning 4000 with the primary HD one of the 2.1GB drives given to me(the other one would not function). One problem though. No sound.

Here's the setup: 68040/25mHz chip. Installed in the 4000 are 3 cards: a picasso IV video card, an Emplant card (I have since removed this card and all references to it from the startup sequence and user startup) and a dataflyer card to which a cdrom is attached. No wires from the cdrom to the Picasso. Matter of fact the picasso card is in the bottom slot with no additional wiring to it. My Dell 15" LCD is hooked up to the video out on the picasso. I've tried the audio out on the card and the computer's audio hookup, but no sound no matter what I try. There's a little window that pops up in the upper left hand corner on startup that allow choosing the audio: either amiga audio, picasso line in, AV module or CD. None of the settings produce any signal to either of the audio out selections I have.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
Re: Amiga 4000 sound problem
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:31 PM »
well, A4000 caps are notorious for leaking and audio system is one of the things to go first when they do. I've seen many A4000's with similar problems. I recommend you take out the picasso and see if you get audio with basic settings, even without the harddrive, boot from floppy and check some demo or game.
I believe in mt. Fuji

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 04:57:06 PM »
Ahh......I'd forgotten the pleasures of disk swapping. I finally found a game that would load on the 4000 after i removed the picasso and dataflyer, and disconnected the hard drives. After the 6th gametried, I found a three disk game that would successfully load, then it asked me for a password from the manual. After finding that(!) the game finished loading: no sound!

Offline Matt_H

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »
That's almost certainly the infamous capacitor problem. Repair details are here, but if you're not handy with a soldering iron, you might want to send the board off to be fixed.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:15:43 PM »
Thanks for the information. I'll take a look!