Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: EVO Linux game console Loaded with Amiga Games!  (Read 2263 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28Topic starter

EVO Linux game console Loaded with Amiga Games!
« on: April 03, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
Re: EVO Linux game console Loaded with Amiga Games!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »
let me guess, linux + euae + back to the roots...

--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
Having been into computers since the late 70's, my observations have been there are simply two types of folks interested in computers, 1) the user, who only cares about what it could do for them, and 2) the techie, who wants to know how it works and if could it be programmed and upgraded.  I know most fall into #2 here at A.org :-D.

But, when I see such a company attempting to release a console such as the EVO Linux game console, they are not reaching out to the tech people, but rather the larger user base where there are no experts in emulation programs and configuration knowledge.  These folks just want something turn-key and usable from the start.

Yes, from the techs point of view this system may appear to be somewhat dated, but from the much larger user base it maybe an awesome change to the current offerings and bring back some retro days as well, and without the need of knowing about the emulation process and setup.  This is what maybe needed to bring more people into Amiga scene and increase interest in our hobby.

Edit Note: Comments above were only to overview the subject of new hardware and in no way was I speaking to the unlicensed use of any copyrighted software.  It would be my hope that this particular company did their homework and secured the necessary licenses to operate legally with selling this system.

Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:05:30 PM »
So now we have official companies pirating?  if i were a former amiga platform software company I would sue for copyright infringement.  

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:22 PM »
I scanned their whole web site and saw nothing about the perported amiga games downloding.  I wonder where this news piece got their info...

All that aside, the webside is confusing if you try to buy one as the specs are all wonky.  Someone else look through it and tell what you think...
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline Firedawg

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Firedawg
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:20:20 AM »
The site does not reference any use of Amiga software or games.  It refers to mostly open source games.

Click here for video of system.
Amiga 4000T/60 - A2000/60 - 1200T/60, Soldered Up 3 x Minimig 1.1, Mac Mini 1.5 Running MacOSX/MOS 2.7-Registered

Offline amiga4ever

• Show only replies by amiga4ever
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:36:14 AM »

Firedawg wrote:

This is what maybe needed to bring more people into Amiga scene and increase interest in our hobby.

why would we need more people interested in our hobby? particularly people without the knowledge/technical skills to download an emulator and use ROM files.

We don't necessarily need more people on the "amiga scene" and the people who do find their way back to Amiga computing seem to have a genuine passion for it. they don't need a fancy game-console to attract them to it in the first place.

I think the requirement of a certain degree of technical ability attracts the "right kind" of person to the scene. i feel comfortable around non-gaming techno nerds and have no desire to see Wii Virtual Console types lingering around these forums, thanks :-)

this system is simply an overpriced Linux-box.