Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hanns-G 19" JC199A LCD monitor with Picasso II, not good  (Read 3679 times)

Description:

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
Hanns-G 19" JC199A LCD monitor with Picasso II, not good
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:13:47 PM »
I'm experiencing the goofiest thing with this new monitor. When I plug its VGA cable directly into the Picasso II, I get NO signal! Monitor flickers on for a second, says it's adjusting something and then goes dead. Get this though... when hooked via a VGA extension cable, the damn thing works! Not a great signal though. Lots of noise and RF interference, but some of that can be hammered out playing with the clock settings on the Hanns. BUT... those settings cannot be saved! Whenever you change screen modes or reset the computer, the monitor goes back to its worthless and off-centred picture.

Monitor works completely fine with my iMac G5 in extended mode. Settings are saved and the picture looks good.

I'm guessing there is some kind of electrical resistance incompatibility going on between the Picasso II and the Hanns? I bought this monitor specifically for my A2500, but looks like I cannot use it. And yes, I changed the preset settings to no avail. Anyone else run into something so idiotic? Why the monitor kind of works with an extension cable vs. a direct hookup?!? Female connector on my Picasso is fine and the male connector on the Hanns looks good too. I do not experience these problems with my old CRT monitors at all.

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
Re: Hanns-G 19" JC199A LCD monitor with Picasso II, not good
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
Stupid simple fix idea... try an entirely different cable, see what happens. Maybe your cable has a minor defect that only shows in some situations.

Offline save2600Topic starter

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 05:38:48 PM »
The cable is hard wired directly into this cheapo monitor  :-(   Else I'd of been on that quicker than a $100 A1 system!  lol

Edit: got her pretty well aligned by now. Still, with all the configuration changes and major tweaking to the Picasso96 setup, overall - this modern monitor is not superior to a CRT. Light ghosting or shadowing around text I guess is to be expected on these cheaper monitors. Don't get me wrong, it looks *good* and there are benefits to using LCD (mostly its size and weight for my A2500), but alas; just another set of trade-offs to deal with.  

Still would like to know why it doesn't work without the use of a VGA extension cable :crazy:  Cranking the horizontal/vertical frequencies to the upper limit (75khz) solved most all of the interference I was getting.

Offline Sandman

• Show only replies by Sandman
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
Don't remind me of that A-1 system.... :boohoo:

:-D