Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Indivision installation with hard drive  (Read 5608 times)

Description:

Offline KatManDEWTopic starter

• Show only replies by KatManDEW
    • http://www.katmandew.com
Indivision installation with hard drive
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:41 AM »
I just got the Indivision for my A1200. How should the hard drive be mounted after the Indivsion is installed?

Even if the RF shield is modified, the hard drive would still have to sit directly on top of the indivsion, right?
A1000
A1200 - Indivision. Apollo 1240.
A2000 - GVP 040-16 meg, 2 meg chip, CD-RW, Flicker Fixer, Picasso II, 8 Up, 286 Bridgecard, OS 3.9
A2000HD #2 - 8 meg RAM, Genlock, Tower case

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
Re: Indivision installation with hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:14:16 AM »
Since there's no room for them both to comfortably co-exist in the case, I would move the HD outside of the A1200 into an electronics 'project enclosure' from a local radioshack store then connect via an extra long IDE cable from amigakit.com to the internal IDE interface.

The worst thing to do is cut a little slot for the cable entry for both the A1200 and the enclosure using a Dremel. A steady hand is all thats needed  :-)

A cheap yet easy solution to your problem  :-)
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline brianb

• Show only replies by brianb
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:07 AM »
I'm going to use a CF card reader such as this...  

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=2635=10

I have the reader, just no Indivision... One day, i hope...    If you still have a "real" hard drive in the system, you're going to have to get creative.

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:20:47 AM »
Using a CF interface makes the problem even easier to solve ... again using a longer IDE cable, all you'd need then is some self-adhesive velcro to stick the interface to the Indivision.

Job's a good 'un!
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:43:17 AM »
Thanks for the ideas.

I tried laying the hard drive on the Indivision, but I get whacky colors when I do that. I get whacky colors if I look at my A1200 crooked while the Indivision is installed :-o (that's delicate mounting method for the Indivision...)

I thought about a CF for a hard drive, but I think I'm gonna have to rethink things anyway, because I also got a Apollo 1240 accelerator, and I don't see anyway that the stock keyboard can be used with it installed, so a tower case seems like it might be the only real solution. A tower case would allow me to install one or more hard drives, away from the motherboard and the Indivision.
A1000
A2000 - GVP 040-16 meg, 2 meg chip, CD-RW, Flicker Fixer, Picasso II, 8 Up, 286 Bridgecard, OS 3.9

Offline brianb

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:14 AM »
That's weird about the indivision and colors.  You sure it made a good connection when you installed?   What are your thoughts on the Indivision board so far?   I'm thinking of getting one, and curious on peoples experiences...

thanks.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:06:04 AM »

brianb wrote:
That's weird about the indivision and colors.  You sure it made a good connection when you installed?   What are your thoughts on the Indivision board so far?   I'm thinking of getting one, and curious on peoples experiences...

thanks.

It's a delicate connection. If you don't get it seated correctly, you get real funky colors, or worse... I've gotten it seated real well, so it works properly, but I've screwed it up by just digging around inside my A1200 installing an accelerator, or moving the hard drive around. It doesn't take much to jog it loose enough to screw it up.

I really like it, but I wish there were more screen modes available than what come with HighGFX40 (which I had to get from Aminet). 1024x768 makes for really tiny icons and text on a 15 inch monitor. I will eventually hook it to a bigger monitor, but not until I finish upgrading my A1200.

Along the upgrade note - my unacclerated A1200 is real slow in 1024x768 mode with the Indivision. Windows open and close real slow...

One other note - I haven't figured out what to do about my hard drive, and the RF shield - and I get some narly looking vertical bands on my display. The monitor works fine on other machines, so it's not the monitor.
A1000

Offline brianb

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:34:08 AM »
I was under the impression the indivision could handle just about any resolution, both ntsc or pal.  Not true?  Or are you just talking about more hires modes?

Anything over 640x480 32color gets to be a dog on a stock A1200... IMHO

Do you need the rf shield?  I'm debating on modification or just removing...   Some people go without, and have no issue...

good luck...

Offline Jule

• Show only replies by Jule
    • http://www.drjule.com
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:38:07 AM »
I don't remember exactly how I did it, but I managed to fit the hard drive back in the case and close it all up.  I think I duct taped some cardboard over the hole left by cutting away the rf shield with my dremel.  I took off the drive sled and taped the drive with duct tape to the cardboard.  It was all fairly secure when I finished, but how long that will last, I don't know.  

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 04:14:42 AM »
Mounting the HD and Indivision should not pose much of a problem. On my A1200, I simply moved the HD down (to the right) and velcro'd it on top of the RF shield, sort of behind the floppy. It fit perfectly...

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 04:23:35 AM »

brianb wrote:
I was under the impression the indivision could handle just about any resolution, both ntsc or pal.  Not true?  Or are you just talking about more hires modes?

Anything over 640x480 32color gets to be a dog on a stock A1200... IMHO

Do you need the rf shield?  I'm debating on modification or just removing...   Some people go without, and have no issue...

good luck...

I think the max it will do is 1024x768, but I haven't played with it much yet so I'm not sure. I'm running basic NTSC high res laced for the moment, while I'm playing with some other upgrades, so that I still have a display on my stock Amiga monitor if something goes wrong...
A1000

Offline NovaCoder

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 05:09:01 AM »
1) Take the upper RF shield and throw it in the bin.
2) This is my first attempt a mounting a CF Nova's 1200.  I've since improved on this method by cable tying the CF to the IdeAdaptor which I've moved off to the left.  You can also get a small vertical compact flash module that plugs straight in your MB.
3) If you're running HighGFX at 1024x768 you must drop your colour depth to make it move at a reasonable speed (<=64 colors).  I'm planning on running mine at 640x512 with 128 colours when they release HighGFX Extreme (maybe even 256 colours if I can get a speed boost from FBlit!).

:idea:
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline murple

• Show only replies by murple
    • http://www.murple.net
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »
I really wish I'd been aware of this before forking over the money for an Indivision a few days ago. I'm actually kinda pissed off reading this, it would've been a helpful thing to put in the Indivision marketing information. I most likely wouldn't have bought one had I been fully informed, which perhaps is why they conveniently neglected to leave such a critical piece of information out.

If I can't figure out a way to get a hard drive to fit in there with the Indivision, I'm going to go from "kinda pissed off" to "fucking furious" real quick.

Offline tone007

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 05:57:33 PM »
Uh oh, somebody didn't do their homework.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:12:50 PM »
@murple: My hard drive is just laying on the Indivision now, and everything is working OK now. I must have finally gotten the Indivision seated good the last time. I do not have the RF shield installed.

As save2600 said, you can probably move the hard drive, provided you have enough cable. But I think you will still need to cut out part of the RF shield where the Indivision sits.
A1000