Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newtek's VT5 and Amiga OS 4.1?  (Read 3415 times)

Description:

Offline AmigaPixelTopic starter

• Show only replies by AmigaPixel
Newtek's VT5 and Amiga OS 4.1?
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:34:45 AM »

Hi all thought I post this subject after posted it in the Desktop video forum.

I was hoping that If OS 4.1 and the Sam 440ep start selling more, even as a nich market that Newtek would port over the new VT5 to Amiga OS. Or allow a third party to do it. It doesn't seem like it would be to hard for a skilled programmer, especially since the new Amiga hardware has PCI slots. Speed Edit alone would be a prize on the Amiga, it is resolution independent. Any programmers out there have any thoughts on this and how practical this would be? :-D

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Newtek's VT5 and Amiga OS 4.1?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 04:09:25 AM »
The absence of a Mac version speaks volumes.  My guess is that there are a fair number of MS Windows APIs used.  The SAM bus is slow and it lacks an Intel based chip.

But, I can't quite even figure out what VT5 even does.  It seems to be a live video switcher, not exactly something that might be of interest to a sizable number of people.

The economics of porting to the same are very bad, there's slightly over a thousand, the cost of porting would be in the range of several thousand US dollars per SAM machine made.

It isn't going to happen.  Newtek isn't a charity...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:35:37 AM »

Good point! it would be too expensive. It is a live switcher but also a post production edit suite, basically the A Video Toaster/Flyer on steroids. Full High Def input/output alot more channels etc.it uses Speed Edit for the non-linear editing which is also sold as a stand alone software package I believe. That seems much more viable to port over. :-)

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 05:38:27 AM »
The VT for pc uses windows and directX, the Host CPU power and the power of the AGP or PCIE graphics card to do the video effect transitions. There has never been a mac version becuase of the non standard Qaurtz graphics engine or whatever it's called. Too risky, another api to program for. Apple could simply make the toaster unsuable with a software update. Remember Apple competes with NewTek for the desktop video marketplace.

Just look at what happened to the Matrox RT2 dv external adpater for MAc. A great unit compatible with final cut, accelerated transtions, realtime DV editing, outout to a second VGA and NSTC monitor. It extended the uses of an entery level G4 quite well...As apple updated osX compatiblity was not insured leaving many with a $1500 doorstop, forcing folks to purchase a mac with DUAL g4's or better for realtime effects.

I use SPEEDEDIT on my macbook unibody runningXP. It's essentially VT5 without the live switching.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:42:30 AM »
I don't think Newtek will never ever port anything to the Amiga. We should be happy they supported the Toaster - flyer folks as long as they did.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »
Best situation would be for someone to port the code on openvideotoaster.org to work with the new card. We suggested this years ago. Too many hooks to Windows API in VT[5] codebase to port to any other OS.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
 Very good points and insights. Yes the Open Video Toaster seems to be the best bet. I would think there is a lot of potential for adapting the software.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 01:05:05 AM »
With technology today you I'm sure can make a toaster VT4000 class device live on just one chip. Maybee an FPGA or something. If you look at the VT4 for pc there are Altera chips on it, I think thats an FPGA or an maybe it's what'scalled an AISIC (if I remember corretly, probably wrong).

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:27:10 PM »

I had forgotten about the Matrox RT2. Was there a PC version? I thought I had seen one, those Matrox users must of been really pissed.

I had noticed the the Altera chip on a VT1. The Flyer has At&T chip on it. Yes it all could be put on one chip now. That would be very interesting project with an FPGA. :-D

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:47:01 PM »
@Crom00

Yup, the Amiga Video Toaster 4000 redone in one FPGA chip would be awesome.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
Funny how you have all the Asian knock off or work-alike $80 mp3/camera/game player radio ipod thingy devices out there on EBAY and inner city cell phone stores....

LOL!... They surely outdo the A4000 and TOASTER 4000 in terms of CPU power. They already have 24 bit color? Heck 15 year old $10 VGA card outdid the AGA chipset...

Slap an FPGA with all the Toaster circuits and code bits. Add breakout video i/o cable and viola... an, IPOD Video Toaster...lol!

Aladdin 4D could provide all the 3d graphics...

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »
I've never seen the modern NewTek video editing tools, how do they compare with Final Cut, Vega, Premiere or Pinnacle?  NewTek is not a name you'd associate with video editing if you didn't have an Amiga background...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:46 PM »
@persia

LightWave is still used a lot in game design.

Offline Crom00

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
Newtek's Crown jewel these days seems to be the Tricaster. They're popping up quite a lot.

As far as editing is concerned Final cut, Avid, and Adobe Premiere are Kings. Just like 3dsMax and Maya are kings of the 3DWorld.

Still, Lightwave and the modern Video Toaster pop up everywhere. Unfortunatley, more often than not mentioning NewTek get you that "oh yeah... that company.." remark. Yet anything Apple touches appears to become blessed.

SpeedEDIT was VTEdit unbundled from the Video Toaster. It's called SpeedEDIT becuase it's fast in that you don't have to transcode any video, (supports most every video format PC and MAC) wheras Final Cut, Avid, Preimiere have to transcode the video into another codec for use in their editors.

Even so, SpeedEDIT is marketed as another tool for editors to add to their arsenal, not a Final Cut killer.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

AmigaPixel wrote:

Hi all thought I post this subject after posted it in the Desktop video forum.

I was hoping that If OS 4.1 and the Sam 440ep start selling more, even as a nich market that Newtek would port over the new VT5 to Amiga OS. Or allow a third party to do it. It doesn't seem like it would be to hard for a skilled programmer, especially since the new Amiga hardware has PCI slots. Speed Edit alone would be a prize on the Amiga, it is resolution independent. Any programmers out there have any thoughts on this and how practical this would be? :-D

The sam would be way too slow for that.