Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Telnet BBS'ing without the Telnet...  (Read 1395 times)

Description:

Offline brianbTopic starter

• Show only replies by brianb
Telnet BBS'ing without the Telnet...
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
I was feeling a bit nostalgic for the BBS days on my Amiga 1200.   Since most of the BBS's now (the few still out) are internet/telnet and with no network abilities on my particular Amiga I was out of luck.  

I had a null modem serial cable between my A1200 and PC for Amiga Explorer file transfers.   I started searching around for something that would emulate a modem to the Amiga, but connect to a TCP Telnet host.  To my surprise there was something...    Now I can use any terminal program on the Amiga and connect to telnet sites via my serial null modem.

Link: http://boycot.no-ip.com/InternetModem/

Steps:
1) Setup a working null modem serial link between the amiga and windows PC
2) Download InternetModem.zip from the site above...
3) Unzip to install and edit the INI file.  Not much to change, maybe comm port...
4) Remark out, delete, or delete the whole translations.txt file - not needed.  (for an amiga anyway)
5) Fire up InternetModem.exe

On the Amiga...
Just load your favorite modem terminal software.   Set it to the same baud rate, etc.   Make sure you set it do dial for Tone using "ATDT".  Instead of putting a phone number in your phonebook just use the DNS name of the site.  Ex: bbs.amigaz.org for your dial string or bbs.noname.net:8080 The software appears to return the modem results codes as numbers not text.  So when it successfully connects you get a "1" not CONNECT.  So you may want to set that in your term program too.   I think there is a setting for that in the INI.

It's even slow like a bbs, unfortunately no satisfying modem screech noises...   Anyone else crazy enough to do this type of thing?  Anyone have any telnet BBS's they can recommend?  

Just thought I would share, in the event someone else might find this useful...

Now to find a good tradewars game...

EDIT: Forgot to mention this software can also connect to IRC hosts...

Offline mrnukem

• Show only replies by mrnukem
Re: Telnet BBS'ing without the Telnet...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 01:20:22 AM »
I use this exact program for the same thing. Also you can log on to many of the MUD style games as most have telnet access. This package also work with other vintage systems.  (I was playing online Muds on my TRS-80 Color Computer with this set-up)

Here is the best place to find telnet bbs listings: http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/

** Mistrust Authority. Promote Decentralization **

Offline marcfrick2112

• Show only replies by marcfrick2112
Re: Telnet BBS'ing without the Telnet...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »
mrnukem, awesome! I almost forgot about that page... I used to use that page to 'torture test' my Telnet program :)

---------------
Marc Frick
---------------
A1200T / \'060, 256MB, CD-R, OS3.9
A4000 w/ WarpEngine / 82MB , OS3.1
A4000 16MB, OS 3.9
A1200 , \'030 / 10MB
A1200 (stock)

CD32 :)

...And a very sick 4000T