Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2000 floppy problems  (Read 2076 times)

Description:

Offline blanningTopic starter

• Show only replies by blanning
    • http://www.brianlanning.com
2000 floppy problems
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »
Has anyone seen a problem where one floppy on a 2000 works, but the other one doesn't?  The drive after the twist at the end of the cable works fine.  The drive on the left just clicks like there's no disk, even when you put a disk in.  The os doesn't detect the disk.  I've swapped out the drive for another and ended up with the same behavior.  Any ideas?

brian

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000
Re: 2000 floppy problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:29:59 AM »
Hi Brian,

there's a jumper on the motherboard which controls the behavior IIRC. Near the back of the case and "under" the CPU slot.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 04:29:25 AM »

da9000 wrote:
Hi Brian,

there's a jumper on the motherboard which controls the behavior IIRC. Near the back of the case and "under" the CPU slot.

You mean J500? Yes, you need to change the status of the jumper.

But if the drive after "the twist" works, you made a huge mess inside the Amiga!

Amiga drives floppy cable don't use twisted cables! Instead you set the drives (one as DS0, another as DS1) with a straight cable.

But if you are using modified pc floppy drives, check if they match the Amiga specification: Diskchange signal in pin 2, Ready signal on pin 34.

Look on my pictures to hack a proper modification to any peecee floppy unit to act as an original Amiga.
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Amiga4k

• Show only replies by Amiga4k
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:16:30 AM »
rkauer,
Hate to rain on your shoes?

Source: National Amiga Technical 4/2000
Amiga 2/3/4000's Regarding Their Internal Floppy Drives

For DF0: the device number must be set to DS0 on the drive and this must have the cable with the twist in it.

For DF1: the drive number must be set to DS1 on the drive and this must have the section of cable that is not twisted.

If you have a DF1: in the machine you need to set these jumpers:

* Amiga 2000 J301 must be on.
    * Amiga 3000D J351 must be shorted between 1-2.
    * Amiga 3000T J351 must be shorted between 1-2.
    * Amiga 4000:
      DF1: ENABLE (J351)    enable 2nd internal floppy (880 KB) as DF1:    closed
      DF1: ENABLE (J351)    no 2nd internal floppy, or 1.76MB floppy as DF1:    open

A2000 ---- jumper J301
Motherboard, cable,DF1 drive(set as DS1), cable with twist 4-6,DF0 (set as DS0).

¬¬- - x
- - x    DS1 or DF1

- x -
- x -   DS0 or DF0

******************* and *******************************

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: 2000 Owners Relax
Organization: Commodore Technology, West Chester, PA

(EDIT and additions by Amiga4K)

The floppy cable connects to the motherboard with a KEYED 34 pin ribbon cable connector next to the power supply.  Jumper J301 must be changed for a 2nd floppy. J301 is underneath this cable. Remove the floppy cable connection from the motherboard to gain access to J301.

The 34 pin connector looks something like this (side view):

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
   O X O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

The "X" there is your missing pin.  And it's supposed to be missing. And the corresponding pin on the mating connector is supposed to be filled. That's how we prevent people from accidentally plugging in this connector wrong.

The first machines out went out with non-keyed drive connectors.  I've got a few early boards without the keying around here.  It's a bit more dangerous (at least I though it was!) having the non-keyed connector, but no reason to hold up production.  The keyed pin isn't connected to anything, so it doesn't hurt if it's actually connected to the ribbon cable.

If you're having problems with the second floppy drive, chances are probably better than 99.9999% that the darn thing's jumpered wrong.  I don't know which vendor's drives they're using this week (could be anyone, they seem to change all the time), but I'll try and post some jumper maps for the more common drives as soon as possible.

>                   Jon Hill
--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"

A2K with 2 Floppy Drives

The J301-jumper must be closed for DF1: to be recognized. Other than that, you have not changed locations of the floppys on the cable, I mean: are the floppys connected to the same connector on the cable as they used too? In my A2000 DF0: is connected at the end-connector of the cable(with the cable-twist just before it) and DF1: is connected to the middle-connector.

Both drives are chinon drives - the same model.nr printed on them (FB-354), but they don't look identical. DF0: has 3x2 jumpers while DF1: only has 3x1 jumpers. To make a qualified guess - only the bottom row is important as that is the row that is jumpered on both drives. If you look from the back of the drives - DF0: has the middle and right pins connected jumpered and DF1: has the middle and the left pins jumpered.

Won\'t hide my location.
"I know if you have been good or bad!"

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 06:32:14 AM »
2000 floppy problems

like 10000 maniacs?
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline InTheSand

• Show only replies by InTheSand
    • http://www.ali.geek.nz
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »
Heh! That's the way I read it too... thinking "wow, that's a lot of floppies that have problems!"  :-)

- Ali

Offline blanningTopic starter

• Show only replies by blanning
    • http://www.brianlanning.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
thanks to everyone.  i'll see if i can fix it tonight.

brian

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »
 Just a little mistake: if you use a twisted cable, use the two floppies as unit 0 (DS0) or 1 (DS1). The twist on the cable just "invert" the selection signals.

A DS1 floppy hooked after the twist will act as a DS0 unit. Diddle for DS0 after the twist, it will act as DS1.

Using a straight floppy cable is just a matter of selecting each floppy as a different unit: one as DS0, the other as DS1.

Using a twisted floppy cable both units must use the same ID (DS0 or DS1).
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.