Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Checksum errors! I've tried everything  (Read 1178 times)

Description:

Offline SandmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Sandman
Checksum errors! I've tried everything
« on: August 26, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
Hi,

I've got a A4000D with CF card set to master and cdrom set to slave. No matter what maxtransfer setting I use, etc.  I still keep getting continuous checksum errors when installing OS3.9.  I tried changing the maxtransfer for the cdrom on the Emergency Disk also to no avail. I just keep canceling the checksum requester but eventually the install crashes  saying something like 'can't mount blah blah blah'.

If I just use the CF card by itself with no cdrom activity I don't seem to get any errors.  

OS3.1 running on the CF card gives no problems at all.

I was thinking of just installing OS3.9 on a SCSI HD hooked to my Warp Engine but I would miss the silent CF card.

I'm partitioning the CF with HDTOOLBOX on the OS3.9 emergency disk with FFS and occasionally it gurus

I've googled and searched forums for the last week now and have tried just about everything.... any ideas guys?

Thanks,
Tim   :boohoo:

Offline Roger_S

• Show only replies by Roger_S
Re: Checksum errors! I've tried everything
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
I have the exact same thing. It is very possible that the CF adapter is the issue. I also do not have the problem when I disconnect the cdrom player.

For me the silence is a "must" as well. Right now the amiga produces about 12db, wich is the loudest fan installed.

Another option I was told about, is to by a seperate IDE controller (FAST ata).

Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1230IV 64Mb RAM, SCSI DVD player, 72Gb Wide Ultra HDD, 4GB CF ide HDD Amiga OS3.9.

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »
I've got a backplate IDE to CF adaptor in my 4000D.

The way I use it is slightly different to you but I had problems setting it up originally.

My idea is to use the card as a copying device for moving stuff from my PC to the Amiga.

But I had to set it up by disconnecting my CD drive on the inboard SCSI and connecting the card. Setting it up like that and then putting the CD drive back. With the backplate now connected to a Tandem card. I don't get autoboot but I didn't want that anyway.

Now for the point behind this long reply  :lol:

Can you not connect up your SCSI drive on your card. Set that up with 3.9 and then use that to setup the card and transfer the SCSI hardrive over to the card through your internal SCSI?

Dave G  8-)

Offline kreciu

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
For the exchange of data, zip drive is "the best", 250 Mb/disc for Amiga is huge amount of space.

On eBay zip drivers are cheap, (you can buy like for $10 with drive and some discs).

I also have a check sum errors in my partition on CF card... I don't care ;), for now...
Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:23 PM »

For the exchange of data, zip drive is "the best", 250 Mb/disc for Amiga is huge amount of space.

I use both Zip and Jaz drives and the Jaz is many times faster. Also the 2GB disks of the Jaz drive have much more capacity than the Zip disks :-)

My CF setup is the same as that of davideo 8-)

Oh! About your problem :shrug: :oops:
A4000 Mad

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 07:20:16 PM »
I've never succeeded in getting any secondary device on the A4K IDE channel when using a CF adapter. I got around this just placing everything else on my GVP HC+8 SCSI controller and leaving the CF card on the IDE interface by itself.
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -

Offline SandmanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Sandman
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »
Hi,

You guys have got me thinking...

I also have a XSurf card in my A4k..

1. I could hook the CF to the xsurf ide.

or

2. I could hook the CDROM to the xsurf ide.

Does this sound like it would solve my problem?
Which would be the better option 1 or 2?

Also, I bought the XSurf second-hand, anywhere to get the latest drivers for this thing?  Do I need drivers?

Thanks again all,
Tim

Offline kreciu

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:27:59 PM »
Question:

HOW the check sum error are created in hard drive setup?

Re-A1200inE/BOX/3.2/AmigaOS3.2/TF1260@66Mhz/256Mb/MediatorTX/R9200SE/SpiderUSB/LAN/SB128/16Gb-CF/DVD-ROM/FDD-HD

Offline davideo

• Show only replies by davideo
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:03:36 PM »

Sandman wrote:
Hi,

You guys have got me thinking...

I also have a XSurf card in my A4k..

1. I could hook the CF to the xsurf ide.

or

2. I could hook the CDROM to the xsurf ide.

Does this sound like it would solve my problem?
Which would be the better option 1 or 2?

Also, I bought the XSurf second-hand, anywhere to get the latest drivers for this thing?  Do I need drivers?

Thanks again all,
Tim

You need a driver disc to turn on the IDE of the Xsurf.

I haven't tried it myself. I took my Xsurf out when I got the Tandem working properly.

I'll post the link when I find it. Link = http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=xsurf&company=

Dave G  8-)

Offline Dr_Righteous

• Show only replies by Dr_Righteous
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »
@Sandman

Keep in mind you will not be able to autoboot from the IDE interface on the X-Surf. It requires the drivers be loaded at boot time to be accessed.

If you're booting from the CF card, you'll have to leave it on the A4K's IDE interface and use your CDROM drive on the X-Surf (the same configuration I use, except I'm using a SCSI controller).
- Doc

A4000D, A3640 OC-36.3MHz, custom tower, Mediator A4000D. Diamond Banshee 16M, Indivision AGA 4000, GVP HC+8.

Mac Mini 1.5GHz, that might run MorphOS someday, when the fools who own it come to the realization that 30 minutes just isn\'t enough time to play with it enough to decide whether or not you like it enough to cough up $200.

- Someone please design SOME kind of DIY accelerator for the A4000. :D -