Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Professional File System II  (Read 1288 times)

Description:

Offline doctorqTopic starter

• Show only replies by doctorq
Professional File System II
« on: August 18, 2003, 09:46:23 PM »
Hi,

today I installed PFS2 on my 9,1 GB SCSI harddrive. I got all installed correctly, the filesystem on the RDB, and then reformatting all my partions with the new filesystem.

As I didn't want to loose any data, I copied data from one partion to an other, so I could format the partion with the new filesystem. After the formatting I copied all back to the drive.

But when I was copying data something obviously went wrong. The drive stopped copying and after several minutes of waiting I decided to make a reset.

Then I found out the both my SYS partion and the partion I was copying data from were no longer availible to the OS. The only way to get them back was to format once more, so I lost all the data on the 2 partions. Not a big problem, because I got a backup of my SYS, but still...

I then formatted the last partion were I store my games. It has a size of 38xx MB and all went well formatting the partion. I then tried to copy a Disk.info to the partion and it said that the drive was write protected or something like that. I resettet the computer, and then this drive was no longer availible to the OS.

Is there a bug in the PFS2 or has someone else experienced the same problem?

I would reallt like to keep PFS2, because it seems way quicker than FFS, esspecially on bootup. The docs also says something about up to 500%...

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Professional File System II
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 09:53:12 PM »
Are you using OS3.5, OS3.9 or a 4GB aware device driver that supports TD64 or NSD?

If not (and this is a long shot), copying data onto partitions above the 4GB limit can corrupt data below the limit. That doesn't sound like your problem, but you never know.

There is also a PFS2 update patch on Aminet that fixes some bugs. If you haven't already done so, you might want to install this.

Offline GPT

• Show only replies by GPT
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 10:05:11 PM »
I have experienced similare problem with other filesystem.

I don't know why it happens it seems that the computer can't find any info on the partions and therefore thinks it's a nonvalid dos unit.

I have several times succeeded at getting my partions back.

The only thing I did was using HDTools box and remounted the partitions as if they were free for use.

Sometimes I hade RGB backup files so I didn't have to guess the info about the partion(s).

But before I started to save RGB files I guessed and sometimes I succeeded in guessing all data right.

So I would advise all amiga users to have HD backups and alls use HDToolBox or similare programs to save the RGB structure info files on a disk and all other important info.

I don't really know how I got it to worked but my best guess is that the system somehow forgot or destroyed the parts of the partion that has all info about the partion and I simply replaced it.
NWO tba 2012

Offline GPT

• Show only replies by GPT
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 10:05:11 PM »
But I have no idea why it happend again or why the partion whas write protected.

You need to give use more data.

OS version
Harddrive
Computer
IDE controller
etc

As much as possible.
NWO tba 2012

Offline doctorqTopic starter

• Show only replies by doctorq
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:53:44 PM »
Okay, I can't really see the point in giving these informations about my system, as they shouldn't have anything to do with the PFS.

My config: A1200T, Blizzard 1260, Blizzard SCSI, Mediator PCI1200, Voodoo Banshee, 2 x CD, 2 x 64 MB RAM, Kick3.1, and the drive concerned 9.1GB SCSI(!!!) Quantum Atlas.

A thing that should have something to do with the PFS is the system software... OS3.5, with Boingbag 1 and 2 installed.

I will try to download the update for PFS as mine is only v4.1 and hope that it will solve the problem. It hasn't been a problem since I formatted my Games partion so I hope the filesystem is reliable from nowon.

Thanks for the answers

Offline Ferry

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 01:40:31 AM »

Have you tried to use the DirectSCSI version of the drivers? If it does not work for you, you could try SmarFileSystem instead.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Amiga user since 1988
AOS4 Betatester
Member of ATO Spain
PiStorm project collaborator (Docs)
A1200/060/256MB/SCSI
A1 XE-G4/933
A500+/PiStorm