Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CDTV mouse and joystik port hack  (Read 1979 times)

Description:

Offline doctorqTopic starter

• Show only replies by doctorq
CDTV mouse and joystik port hack
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:07:17 AM »
Hi,

I'm in the process of adding regular mouse and joystick ports to the backside of a CDTV unit. I have followed this guide for adding the ports.

Has anyone else succesfully made this hack?

Everything is fine with the joystick port, but the mouseport is messed up :-( When a mouse is connected, the left and right mousebuttons works as intended, but moving the mouse brings me nothing.

Could the pinouts for the mouseport be wrong? I have checked, doublechecked and triplechecked that I have wired everything up correctly. Can I have destroyed the chip with too much heat from the soldering iron (I soldered directly to the chip)?

Offline CaptChaos

• Show only replies by CaptChaos
Re: CDTV mouse and joystik port hack
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »
Did you try swapping the port the mouse is plugged into?

I did attempt the hack but I melted the plastic chip mount and gave up. :)

Offline doctorqTopic starter

• Show only replies by doctorq
Re: CDTV mouse and joystik port hack
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
No, I didn't try to swap the actual 9 pin port I used for mouseport, but it doesn't matter now anyway :-)

If the CDTV has been disconnected from the power cord, and it's powered on, the mouse doesn't work, and the mouse port has to be activated by the remote control. That means, disconnect the mouse from the new mouse port, use the remote control to go in each direction with the cursor, and when reconnecting the mouse to the new mouse port, everything works like a charm :-)

If you switch the computer off using the contact on the front, and power on again, the mouse is still fully functional, but when the power cord has been disconnected from the PSU, it doesn't  :-?  :-?

As for melting the plastic chip mount; I just removed the chip from the computer, so the legs were easy accessable. My soldering skills aren't the best, but hey, it turned out to be good enough. I replaced a few LEDs as well :-)