Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 68k cool workbench - these days?  (Read 2464 times)

Description:

Offline TheGooseTopic starter

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
68k cool workbench - these days?
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »
What is the best way / route to a cool workbench these days? Is MUI still in charge or are there other ways?

Related - what was the point of Reaction? A GUI enhancment? I dunno about that, is there more to it than I can see?

Seen a lot of cool PNG icon sets, will those work on OS3.9?

:idea:
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

Offline SamuraiCrow

• Show only replies by SamuraiCrow
Re: 68k cool workbench - these days?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:12:34 AM »

TheGoose wrote:
What is the best way / route to a cool workbench these days? Is MUI still in charge or are there other ways?

Related - what was the point of Reaction? A GUI enhancment? I dunno about that, is there more to it than I can see?

Seen a lot of cool PNG icon sets, will those work on OS3.9?

:idea:

You can make PNG icons work on 3.9 through the use of a patch but I think the most powerful way to support PNG under 3.9 is to install AfA to get the updated datatypes.  I'm not sure if AfA (which, incidently, is short for AROS for Amigas) patches or replaces the libraries but follow the instructions that come with it.

The point of Reaction was that it allowed more types of gadgets than standard WB 3.1 but followed the proper OS-friendly way of installing new BOOPSI classes.  MUI also used BOOPSI classes but replaced the library functions related to them and added a new file format called an MUI Custom Class.

The advantage of ClassAct and its later version Reaction was that it was faster than MUI 3.3 which came out at the same time and was used by AWeb.  MUI was used for other browsers and utilities but was shareware for the user.  ClassAct only required a fee to the developer thus making it easier for Amiga, Inc. and Haage and Partner to license the rights to.  Also, Reaction used less memory than MUI and provided a consistent, non-skinnable, user-interface for embedded controller usage.

Furthermore, it was possible to patch MUIMaster.library to make it look like the new Reaction GUIs as happened in the version of MUI that is available for AmigaOS 4.0 .  In retaliation against Amiga, Inc. (now known as Amino, Inc.), MUI was made available for free to any MorphOS user.  A similar retaliation was made by the CyberGraphics developers when Picasso96 was chosen as the default API for graphics cards.

Now that MUI 3.9 is optimised to the point that it is as fast as Reaction and most systems have more than 4 megs of fast RAM, there isn't much reason to choose one version over the other except for not wanting to pay the license fee for MUI.

Offline Golem!dk

• Show only replies by Golem!dk
    • http://www.google.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:23:49 AM »
Impressive.
~

Offline AmiGR

• Show only replies by AmiGR
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »
In retaliation against Amiga, Inc. (now known as Amino, Inc.), MUI was made available for free to any MorphOS user. A similar retaliation was made by the CyberGraphics developers when Picasso96 was chosen as the default API for graphics cards.

Where did you get that little gem from? CGX was part of MorphOS before Amino/Amiga Inc. even got founded and MUI was part of it since its earliest days, has nothing to do with any retalliation or any other conspiracy theory.

Also, MUI is not "free for MorphOS users", it is a core part of MorphOS, paying for MorphOS pays for MUI.
- AMiGR

Evil, biased mod from hell.

Offline SamuraiCrow

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »

AmiGR wrote:
In retaliation against Amiga, Inc. (now known as Amino, Inc.), MUI was made available for free to any MorphOS user. A similar retaliation was made by the CyberGraphics developers when Picasso96 was chosen as the default API for graphics cards.

Where did you get that little gem from? CGX was part of MorphOS before Amino/Amiga Inc. even got founded and MUI was part of it since its earliest days, has nothing to do with any retalliation or any other conspiracy theory.

Also, MUI is not "free for MorphOS users", it is a core part of MorphOS, paying for MorphOS pays for MUI.

Technically the P96 and MUI weren't part of MorphOS before the decision was made by Amiga, Inc. executives back when it was owned by Gateway.  And as for the conspiracy theory... I was at the '98 DevCon where it was decided and it was entirely a slip of the tongue.  I just hope any NDAs I signed don't hold water.

Offline AmiGR

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:45:38 AM »
Technically the P96 and MUI weren't part of MorphOS before the decision was made by Amiga, Inc. executives back when it was owned by Gateway.

P96 is not part of MorphOS. CGX always was and would have always been, Frank Mariak (CGX author) is one of the lead developers that started the MorphOS project.

And as for the conspiracy theory... I was at the '98 DevCon where it was decided and it was entirely a slip of the tongue. I just hope any NDAs I signed don't hold water.

When what was decided? That P96 would be in AmigaOS? So what? MorphOS was created by Ralph Schmidt (PowerUP author) and Frank Mariak (CGX) author. MUI was first ported to it then it got licenced and became an integral part of the system. None of these had absolutely anything to do with any Amiga Inc. and that is an actual fact.
- AMiGR

Offline SamuraiCrow

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:56:07 AM »

AmiGR wrote:
Technically the P96 and MUI weren't part of MorphOS before the decision was made by Amiga, Inc. executives back when it was owned by Gateway.

P96 is not part of MorphOS. CGX always was and would have always been, Frank Mariak (CGX author) is one of the lead developers that started the MorphOS project.

And as for the conspiracy theory... I was at the '98 DevCon where it was decided and it was entirely a slip of the tongue. I just hope any NDAs I signed don't hold water.

When what was decided? That P96 would be in AmigaOS? So what? MorphOS was created by Ralph Schmidt (PowerUP author) and Frank Mariak (CGX) author. MUI was first ported to it then it got licenced and became an integral part of the system. None of these had absolutely anything to do with any Amiga Inc. and that is an actual fact.

The P96 mention where CGX should have been was a typo.  And also ClassAct was chosen as the GUI of AmigaOS 3.5 at the same conference under the condition that it be optimized to take less memory than MUI (which, in turn, was originally written to work on Kickstart 2.x unlike ClassAct).

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:58:59 AM »
Is this MOS/OS4 stuff not all a trifle moot seeing as the original poster is asking about a 68K workbench?
int p; // A

Offline AmiGR

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:01:48 AM »
The P96 mention where CGX should have been was a typo. And also ClassAct was chosen as the GUI of AmigaOS 3.5 at the same conference under the condition that it be optimized to take less memory than MUI (which, in turn, was originally written to work on Kickstart 2.x unlike ClassAct).

Yes but what does that have to do with MorphOS? You specifically said that it and CGX were given away for free to MorphOS users as retalliation. And I said that that is completely untrue, as CGX has not "given to MorphOS", it has been a core part of MorphOS since its creation, as it's author is co-creator of MorphOS and that MUI was not "given away" to MorphOS users but was first ported to MorphOS then licenced and used as a core part. What did Amiga Inc. have to do with either Frank Mariak being the MorphOS co-creator or MorphOS paying for MUI?
- AMiGR

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 02:23:10 AM »
 :roll:

Offline AmiGR

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:33:18 AM »
@spihunter

Sorry for the OT, I just could not leave such FUD uncontested...
- AMiGR

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 04:44:50 AM »
@ TheGoose

Have you parused the Images/WorkbenchScreenshots section of this site?

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 02:26:18 PM »
Wow. Thank guys. I think I can extract from this train, that:

1. MUI hate it or love it, is still king on 68k GUI / that killer workbench.

2. Reaction sucks. More junky stuff that Amiga Inc. packed into 3.5/3.9 that most would not make use of.

3. This is another fine example of fragmented, dueling technologies that helped to kill the Amiga rather than push it forward. Most famous of course to me, was the PowerUP vs WarpOS battle. May need to start a different thread for this, "famous duels that killed your Amiga..."

Thanks though, guess I'll get on with MUI then...

:-)

I\'m on Google +

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 02:28:59 PM »
Check out these Amiga Workbench distros:

AmiKit - http://amikit.amiga.sk/
AmigaSYS - http://amigasys.extra.hu/
AIAB - http://www.amigainabox.co.uk/

Cheers,
James
x

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
Thanks James, Amikit one I know about and eyeing...
 :-)

I\'m on Google +