Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A3000 Right Mouse Button & Picasso IV Blues  (Read 998 times)

Description:

Offline xPhilxTopic starter

• Show only replies by xPhilx
A3000 Right Mouse Button & Picasso IV Blues
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »
After all my years with Amigas this one's a new one on me. I was using my A3000D (Picasso IV, Ariadne 2, no other expansions) this morning browsing the net for a couple of hours then switched off to go shopping. Four hours later I turn it back on only to find my Picasso isn't being recognised in WB and my right mouse button (RMB) isn't working; no menu popping up but pressing right Amiga+alt keys brings it up.

The thing is...I can hold both mouse buttons and get to the early startup screen so the RMB is working. I changed to a different mouse, both known to be working fine and it's the same. I tried booting from a floppy and get the same results; no RMB in WB but it's there at early startup??

I'm at a loss what's happening to the Picasso too, it shows up okay at early startup but does a disappearing act once WB is loaded. The Ariadne2 is okay though so it's not the daughter board.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Phil.

EDIT: I removed the Picasso and Ariadne2 (no cards attached) and still have the RMB problem.

Offline Kin-Hell

• Show only replies by Kin-Hell
Re: A3000 Right Mouse Button & Picasso IV Blues
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:53:09 AM »
Check all the Capacitors on every PCB within your Amiga. You are looking for a sweaty look. IE, small globules of Moisture on the tops of the Caps. This is Electrolyte Leakage & will cause havoc with the normal operation of your Miggy.

Good Luck!  :-)
Getting 0lder is Mandatory..... Growing up is an option.

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:24:53 AM »
Pretty strange!

As posted before, I've had problems with the way the Zorro III daughter board sits in the motherboard.  I usually have to re-seat it several times after disturbing it.  You didn't disturb yours did you?

One other thought, have you done any hot-plugging of the mouse port?  Maybe the associated interface chips have become intermittant.  I wish I could help more with this, I schematics for the 500 & 2000 but not the 3000.

OK, one more thought.  Did your battery leak?

Offline amiga_3k

• Show only replies by amiga_3k
    • http://www.elf8.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:58:40 AM »
Go back to the bare basic installation. That is, not a single extra piece of hardware plugged in. Only plug in a keyboard, mouse, monitor, powercord ;-) and the floppy-drive (no harddisk / cd-drive / whatever) and boot from floppy. Check if things work.

If not, try swapping the CIA chips. If the mouse works fine after that, you'll know you've got to source a replacement for the CIA.
Get a SAM, while you can! The new AMIGA is here!

Offline xPhilxTopic starter

• Show only replies by xPhilx
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 12:44:38 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Good news; all's well again.

@Kin-Hell. All caps seem to be visually okay, thanks.

@Tenacious. Yup, the daughter board seating was the problem with the Picasso. I had to re-seat it 3 times before the Picasso was recognised.

When I got this A3K around a year ago it had the original, leaking, battery which I replaced with a lithium battery. There was a problem with the mouse which I forgot about; the pointer would 'flick' over to the right side of the screen and stay there. I repaired this by cleaning the green crud off the Paula IC + socket + surrounding area. So last night I re-seated Paula and started getting all sorts of funky stuff - green screen on boot-up all the way to WorkBench (memory), garbled graphics, no mouse buttons working but pointer moving, you name it I got it  :lol: ....

@amiga_3k.... Swapping Paula sorted all the above problems out, cheers.

And has regards hot swapping peripherals - I learnt my lesson when I got a new A4kD and hot swapped a hand scanner and blew the parallel port, ended up getting a replacement motherboard under warranty. Never again!

Cheers,
Phil.

Offline mauidj

• Show only replies by mauidj
    • http://www.raymasters.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:21:01 AM »
I just bought an A3000 and found it had a leaking battery.....after the seller said it did not :(
The leak was quit bad I guess.
Cleaned it up and removed battery.
It powered up fine but I have a problem with the right mouse button.
Is this the probable result of the leakage?
Any suggestions other than a new motherboard?
Any clean motherboards out there?  ;)
Aloha!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33GHz, e-uae, WB3.9.

Offline Chain

• Show only replies by Chain
    • http://chain.3dgrafika.cz/aktivity
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 07:08:23 AM »
right mouse button line goes to paula, try to swap it from another machine if you can
too lazy to use shift key properly...

Offline mauidj

• Show only replies by mauidj
    • http://www.raymasters.com
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:26:30 PM »
Mahao Chain.
Can I use the Paula from a spare A1200 board I have?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33GHz, e-uae, WB3.9.