Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hidden Gems of Amiga Gaming? Please join in!  (Read 5774 times)

Description:

Offline 4ppleseedTopic starter

• Show only replies by 4ppleseed
Hidden Gems of Amiga Gaming? Please join in!
« on: February 23, 2008, 01:46:19 AM »
Hello, I'd like to get a list together of some more 'off the beaten track' Amiga releases. Games that are great but didn't quite get absorbed by the mainstream. This is potentially for an article for over here RacketBoy Hidden Gems depending on how the list comes out. So which games do you think should be on the list?

Post them here and I'll add them to the list :rtfm:

To get things started I'd say Base Jumpers is pretty fun for a platform mash-up and didn't seem to be picked up my the magazines at the time.

Offline Terse

• Show only replies by Terse
Re: Hidden Gems of Amiga Gaming? Please join in!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 03:02:05 AM »
Nuclear War never got the credit it deserved.

Offline Im>bE

• Show only replies by Im>bE
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalChaosTheGame
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 03:02:20 AM »

Me and friends had a lot of fun with PD games.

Droidwars5(and its prequels) was a hit in my cycle,
how every battle was different and thrilling
because you never knew what would happen.

My brother says it is atleast 90 percent luck
but I like to think that the droids
I choose to beam into the arena at the right time
is a good strategy, but its really hard to determine
what can or will make a good strategy in this game.
one of my younger friends always beamed in crappy droids
because they were cheap,
while I beamed in sophisticated killer droids.
Often his strategy just collapsed
coz my droids blew them away, but sometimes he would get lucky and all my droids would get erased.
REALLY exciting.
Hopelessly addicted to the world\'s best strategy game.
Total Chaos on YouTube

Offline tokyoracer

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 04:11:13 AM »
I always thought "Trolls" was under-rated.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:48:02 AM »
I agree that Nuclear War was under-rated.  Another good game that didn't get it's share of the spotlight was Batman the Movie game from Ocean.  That was the best movie conversion game ever

Offline coldfish

• Show only replies by coldfish
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:42 AM »
Ruff n Tumble & Troddlers; both didnt seem to get a mention at release, both very good games.

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »
Captain Blood. Fly around space meeting aliens and learning to communicate with them, blowing up planets.

Offline DBAlex

• Show only replies by DBAlex
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:58:08 AM »
Zany Golf!

Hehe... Although it was a port... had lots of fun playing, and you could have up to 8 players... pretty rare at the time!

:-D
Machines:
- A1200, Blizzard 1260 w/ 64MB RAM, 1.2GB HD, PCMCIA WiFi, AGA w/ RGB Adapter, OS3.9
- Pegasos I, G3 600Mhz, 512MB, Radeon 9200se, 80GB HD, AmigaKit WiFi Card, MOS 1.4.5
- Mac Mini, G4 1.5ghz, 512MB (1GB Soon), Radeon 9200 64MB, 80GB HD, OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
- PCs, Laptops... *yawn*... :D

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
Turrican 2

oh, ehm, wait....
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline 4ppleseedTopic starter

• Show only replies by 4ppleseed
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »
This is great! Thanks for your suggestions so far.

When it comes to hidden gems you can say that certain games, although well respected now were kinda missed in their day. So for example you could argue that Apidya is a hidden gem because it was over shadowed by Project-X, Agony and a whole load of other earlier Amiga SHMUPS. I never saw it on the shelf in a box either and I'm pretty sure it never sold as many copies as it deserved to.

Slam Tilt is another good example. Released too late when most people had migrated to other systems and it was always going to be difficult to follow in the Pinball Dream/ Fantasies/ Illusions footsteps.

So taking that into consideration could you say game like Hired Guns, Benefactor and Wizkid could be considered hidden gems as they were overshadowed by Eye Of The Beholder and Lemmings?

I'll be checking out some of those PD games and will include a PD game in the final selection.

Sooooo... anymore for consideration?  :idea:

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

Terse wrote:

Ahh yes! Happy memories of nuking neighbouring continents *contented smile*
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline pault1

• Show only replies by pault1
    • http://www.calweb.com/~pault
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
There was an early flight combat simulator, I'm spacing it on the actual name.  You could work your way up to choosing the top performing plane, "Paper Airplane" for some weird reason.  But it turned you loose against an opponent in a boxed space and you had to fly and find them in a 3D environment.  Wireframed planes.  Amazing bit of programming for the day.

Not sure what else counts as a hidden gem.  I'd say I spent more hours in Empire, playing five play-by-mail games at once, sending them to a friend on three time zones away,  exchanging turns all evening by modem.  Time-wasted more with Scorched Tanks, the shareware game, really fun, creative strategy and dozens of different weapons.  Role playing, I loved Mega-Traveller, the Amiga single player version was quite good and took a long time to get through.  Multiplayer, Gauntlet II with the 4 player adapter, true arcade quality dungeon maze crawling.

Those are my top picks.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:48 PM »

Of course.... Nuclear War is a classic.  But it got more attention than a host of other brilliant half-strategy half-humor games also of that timeframe.  

"North and South" was always a humorous play.  A fairly typical "move the troops and fight the battle" type game, but it had some interesting twists with the Indians running around and certain squares that collected various bonuses.  (Troops, Gold, etc)  Also, the other minigames always kept things lively.  (Train-robbing and whatnot)

No one EVER remembers "Conflict!"  Possibly for good reason.  It WAS rather dry on the surface, but digging into it a bit revealed the tight balancing act you have to walk as Israel to keep from pissing off the US too much while still getting your way with your Middle-Eastern neighbors.  The headlines in the newspapers it displays each month always worth a chuckle, as well.

"Big Business" is another one that never gets remembered.  Probably because it rarely completes a full game without spiraling deep into insanity.  But to me, that's the charm of it.  You end up with players borrowing billions of dollars from their parents, and prices going wonky in the M.U.L.E. style auctions each turn.  Heck, you can blow through MaxInt and end up in unexpected negatives!  But still, I can't remember a time I've sat down with a few friends and played a round when we didn't finish with our sides hurting from laughing so hard.

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »
@Terse

Nuclear War was way under rated for the hours of fun it delivered . . .

Oh . . . By The Way . . . I'm Ronny-Raygun and you've just been NUKED ! . . .  :lol:
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 10:57:15 PM »
4ppleseed wrote:
To get things started I'd say Base Jumpers is pretty fun for a platform mash-up and didn't seem to be picked up my the magazines at the time.

Never played it, but I remember reading a review of it in one of the Amiga magazines I bought. Thought it was a great concept for a game, came up with a similar game concept of my own (but that's AWOL in the Internet somewhere).

4ppleseed wrote:
Wizkid

That was going to be my suggestion, so much fun and pretty original, while being unappreciated outside the Amiga world.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan