Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone know what these cards are? Besides the Ariadne?  (Read 2095 times)

Description:

Offline NlandasTopic starter

• Show only replies by Nlandas
Anyone know what these cards are? Besides the Ariadne?
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:25:07 PM »
Amiga Cards on Ebay - Seller doesn't know what they are.

I know the Ariadne is a NIC with CAT5. The others look custom modified with wires. DPM? Digial Processor Module? With customer headers on them for what I don't know.

-Nyle
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
Re: Anyone know what these cards are? Besides the Ariadne?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »
These are pretty unidentified still, DPM might stand for Digital Panel Meter.

Offline Plaz

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:23:37 AM »
I recall these cards being mention in an old thread. They were described as part of a custom medical imaging system. I don't recall that any one definitely identified them, knows about their exact use or the software that was used to run them though.

I knew and optical surgeon in our local Amiga club back in the early 1990's who told me they used imaging systems and Amigas as part of their practice. Perhaps this was the use? Only a guess though.

Plaz

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »
Interesting, thanks guys. Might be something neat to go into an Amiga museum somewhere. Surprising that the cards aren't labeled more or known about.

-Nyle

Offline JetFireDX

• Show only replies by JetFireDX
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:43:47 AM »
...custom medical imaging system...

That could be the HDI-1000 from ATL. It is an Ultrasound machine. They have been discussed on here before. ATL (Now absorbed by Phillips Medical) is down the hill from me and I worked a short time there. They built their own custom Amiga 4000's that ran the machines. (They had licenses from everybody before Commodore died.) When I was there in 1998 they were working on getting their PPC accelerators to work. I can't confirm that these are the the digital signal processors from them as I only ever handled test hardware that wasn't production and was often too big to fit in the machines.

HDI-1000

There is an Amiga in there! There was a key combo that I can't remember that let a technician go back to Workbench. (They built a new keyboard for it that remapped a lot of the keys to strange combinations.)

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:56:12 AM »
One of them is an Ariadne.

;-)
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:58:58 AM »

JetFireDX wrote:

HDI-1000

There is an Amiga in there! There was a key combo that I can't remember that let a technician go back to Workbench. (They built a new keyboard for it that remapped a lot of the keys to strange combinations.)

Jeeeez! It's some kind of Amiga robot :-o

Actually, wasn't there one of these up on the moon in the  Wallace and Gromit film 'A Grand Day Out' :lol:
A4000 Mad

Offline Plaz

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 02:42:43 AM »
@JetFireDX

That's great. Do we finally we have enough info to put these mystery cards to rest? Here's another bit of info that ties in to your story....

"The ATL HDI 1000.TM. system is based on a processor running a UNIX-like operating system (actually based on the Commodore Amiga computer operating system software)."ADL HDI Patent reference mentioning Amiga

I'm going to look up that patent number and I should be able to pull the pictures and schematics related to it.

Plaz

Offline Plaz

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:16:55 AM »
Found a bit more here at the US patent office. Can you beleive a patent application from 2007 actually including Commodore Amiga as part of the Application?

ATL HDI 1000 Ultrasound 2007 Patent Application

On page 10 of the application it references the "PC running Labview". I assume Labview is the name of the software package being used? Unfortunately my doc viewing client is a free version with limited features, so I can't save and share the entire PDF file.

Plaz

Offline alenppc

• Show only replies by alenppc
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 03:33:26 AM »
Wow, look at the one with 5 CPUs, that must be a power hungry beast... what are those anyways? They look like MC68030's or something like that.

Offline da9000

• Show only replies by da9000

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »

alenppc wrote:
Wow, look at the one with 5 CPUs, that must be a power hungry beast... what are those anyways? They look like MC68030's or something like that.

They arent't CPUs, but protocol controller chips.
Info on http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a4000io:

A4000 5 channel serial controller
- contains five Motorola MC68605 X.25 Protocol Controller chips
- these chips are designed for long-distance communication over phone lines or satellite links
- each chip supports full-duplex serial communication at up to 10 Mbps
- a Zorro II single channel version exists of the card, called "A2000 serial interface"
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline PulsatingQuasar

• Show only replies by PulsatingQuasar
    • http://none
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »
I hope that these old ATL-machines aren't destroyed when replaced by newer equipment.

It's a great way to recover Amiga 4000 systems and bring back into the communty!
BlizzardPPC powered!!
AmigaOne-XE G3 800 MHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 8500, OS4

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 01:49:27 PM »

JetFireDX wrote:
...custom medical imaging system...

That could be the HDI-1000 from ATL. It is an Ultrasound machine. They have been discussed on here before. ATL (Now absorbed by Phillips Medical) is down the hill from me and I worked a short time there. They built their own custom Amiga 4000's that ran the machines. (They had licenses from everybody before Commodore died.)

HDI-1000

Can we get this information to the Big Book of Amiga Hardware so that they can provide the information with the cards. The eBay link I provided has the text that the seller could find on the cards. If this was also added to the database, would mean anyone searching google for those numbers in the future would find the story of the Amiga being used as an Ultrasound machine.

-Nyle

Offline hishamk

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
An old thread indeed, but I was just wondering if one could still pick one up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATL-HDI-1000-Ultrasound-System-/181275216389

$1,999... considering this is running a souped up A4000T, it might be a bargain compared to what's being asked by actual A4000T sellers :)
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA