Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bought pirated game on eBay, what to do?  (Read 6790 times)

Description:

Offline arnljotTopic starter

Bought pirated game on eBay, what to do?
« on: February 04, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350015894741

This turned out to be a pirated copy.

Had I looked at the bottom, after all the terms and conditions for shipping. I'd perhaps smelled the rat.

What should I do, start procedures with PayPal, or just leave negative feedback. Or just let it go?

I'm most tempted to do the last thing...
A posting a day keeps the sanity away...
http://www.arnljot.com

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
Re: Bought pirated game on eBay, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »
I can't see where it says on there that it's not an original copy. In fact it says "You will receive the original featured AMIGA CD-ROM". Whether or not you take it up with eBay depends how much you care. Personally, I would complain since it is illegal, and you haven't got what you paid for.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:07:40 PM »

All images thoughout our sites are for illustration only and may differ from that shown. i.e dvd covers / games.E&OE

Also, there is a picture at the very bottom of the cover and disk I received. I thought it waw their logo...

I've reported it as a counterfeigt and copyright voilation now.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
B****rds, damn right you should report. It's just this sort of thing that ruins ebay for all of us. I sell on ebay and my feedack reflects the satisfaction of my buyers.
All positive at 100%.  :-D
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:19:09 PM »
If you receive an original CD in a custom box it's no problem - it's like receiving a Gameboy cartridge sitting in an empty cigarettes pack. If it's a CD-R or CD-RW you have every right to complain, unless they can prove they have the rights to re-sell this game on som recordable medium.
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

Offline Damion

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »
Remember guys... anything with that "UK Software" banner = rip-off.

In my case the seller was actually an alright guy, the "UK Software" creeps told him that disc was considered "original" since all the software is licensed, which it clearly is not.

Offline icbrkr

• Show only replies by icbrkr
    • http://www.amigacd32.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:46:11 PM »
Report it.  They've been reported before and some accounts have been closed.  The sad thing is, they tend to just pop up again a week later with a new account or two.
Project: CD32 http://www.amigacd32.com | Project: Particles! BBS http://www.particles.org

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
I've reported them like I said. And the CDR I've received has a "home printed label". The label is the kind where the cd it self can be printed on (rough white background).

The colour of he disc is all wrong (lots of rainbow), and the inner circle of the CD says "CD-R" and then a batch number.

Also the label is all wrong. it says "SIMON THE SORCERER" in a wierd font, and has a dead url underneath "amiga-ames.com.au", and the word "Amiga" and a soft faidng curved rainbow in the "lower left".

It's fake, it's pirated, it's bootleg.

I already have the pirate version from 97 when I was young and wreckless. I want the original! I want to collect!

Offline monami

• Show only replies by monami
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 11:12:15 PM »
i usually email the seller. and give him a few days. (be polite. i think ebay monitor your mail dealings. in case of disputes. they can see how you acted with the seller etc.) then after the usual no response i open a dispute. in which they have time to answer. which they usually ignore and paypal usually find in your favour. and give you your money back, it includes postage too. there is no worries on bad feedback as you can't leave feedback when paypal get involved.

one lesson in disputes though.

i bought an ms os on ebay for £40 from ireland using a cheque. i got some crud appology from the guy (after he had cashed my cheque.) saying he had been let down and been sent pirate copies. and was thousands of pounds down the drain and he couldn't give my money back. i filled out all the forms for ebay (not paypal.) and got a refund. but there was a £15 fee for admin? that was the only time i felt let down in a dispute... but it taught me a lesson! i always stick to paypal they don't do admin fees.

there are some sob scammers out there. i've had a lot of ebay dealings and so have had a lot of people trying it on. don't be shy about your rights. it takes some arrogance to sell rip off gear. put them in their place. :-)
i will bless them that bless you. i will curse them that curse you. gods promise to his chosen people the jews.

Offline weirdami

• Show only replies by weirdami
    • Http://Bindingpolymer.com
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 11:23:15 PM »
one giveaway also is

If ordering dvd’s ensure your dvd player can play the format

also, in the banner, it says "supplied on CD-R". And, what's with them being "UK SOFTWARE" and having a lingerie provision in their policies section? Odd.
----
Binding Polymer: Keeping you together since 1892.

Offline Fester

• Show only replies by Fester
    • http://www.rdmsnippets.com
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
The support web page in the auction points to Butterfly-Media.

This outfit drop-ships... so the eBay seller might not have even seen the product you received.

The DVD was probably sent to you by Butterfly on behalf of the seller.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 12:04:19 AM »
Beware, you will probably get a negative feedback and eBay won't give a sh't.

eBay is a shadow of it's former self. What a shame  :-x
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline dannyp1

• Show only replies by dannyp1
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 12:15:41 AM »
I bought from who I think was this same seller a year or so ago.  I ordered like 7 or 8 CD's and all except one were copies but I kind of expected it because there are many of his titles that haven't been available for years.  When one item sells it will be replaced in his listings in a short time by the identicle item.  As I said I expected what I got, but what I ordered was mostly out of print PD and shareware collections like The Hottest CD and others.  The problem I had with this guy was he sent one wrong CD and ignored my requests to replace it with the correct one.  I share the original posters feelings that If I order a Game, I want it to be an original copy.  I have mixed feelings about what he is doing because on one hand he does make some impossible to find software CD's available again and isn't really hurting many dealers because they don't have much of this stuff for sale anyway.  But on the other hand I do feel it should be made VERY CLEAR that these are not original CD's and are copies for back-up purposes only.

Dan

Offline alenppc

• Show only replies by alenppc
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 01:19:45 AM »
Yeah, ebay sucks. As I reported in another thread, recently I had a bad experience with a seller. Result? I can't leave him a negative feedback because he will then retaliate and do the same to me despite the fact I didn't do anything wrong. So in this case the seller goes without a feedback; and it's not the first time it's happened either.

Ebay should force sellers to leave feedback first. That would be way more honest. In fact, every time I sell something I leave the feedback as soon as I receive my payment.

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 01:25:32 AM »

alenppc wrote:
Ebay should force sellers to leave feedback first. That would be way more honest. In fact, every time I sell something I leave the feedback as soon as I receive my payment.

Nice thought, but a prior Power Seller I can say buyers can be just as bad.  :-x
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!