Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - CD32  (Read 4138 times)

Description:

Offline TensionTopic starter

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - CD32
« on: January 21, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
Anybody know where to get this elusive game.  Anybody willing to sell me a copy of it??

Apparently one was on ebay for $50!!!!!  There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the game, and how good it is compared to other versions of the game.  I am dying to give it a blast on my CD32.

Any help is much appreciated.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
Re: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - CD32
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:02:52 PM »
Don't bother! The game looks awesome but plays like a turd!
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »
That`s just what I was afraid of...

Still like to give it a blast though...

Do you have a copy??

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »
I have the game boxed and all game sucks " good graphics though" and the opening music is allright too ...
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
I don't have a cd copy but only a WHDLoad install.
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 09:14:47 PM »
Was it a case of lazy programming, or simply the CD32 not being up to the job?

Shame either way  :-(

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
Both I guess. The coding was bad; games like Shadow Fighter and Elfmania proved the Amiga could do better, but I doubt that the Amiga CD32 could pull off a good Street Fighter 2 like the SNES did.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »
Flashlab wrote:
Both I guess. The coding was bad; games like Shadow Fighter and Elfmania proved the Amiga could do better, but I doubt that the Amiga CD32 could pull off a good Street Fighter 2 like the SNES did.

That's bull! The CD32 was more than up to the job of a decent SF2 port (6 action buttons, directional pad, console was powerful enough). Shame to hear it didn't happen. :-(
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:57 PM »
Relax, Henry. No need to get your boxers in a twist. The CD32 just had 2 Mb of memory where the SNES/Megadrive had cartridges which effectively gave it more memory or at least instant access to data required. The CD32 was no where able to stream all the needed info from the cd during play fr such a game. Also I doubt that the CD32 could have handled the big size sprites with all frames, parallax scrolling, real time perspective floor and background animation like the SNES version did.

There's a version on Amiga CD32 called SF2: The New Challengers. I guess that version could have a bit better graphics and maybe some other features but face it. That's as good as it gets on a bare 1200 or CD32. For a good SF2 game I think you'd need a few megs of FastRam more and an 030.

Offline HenryCase

• Show only replies by HenryCase
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 10:20:13 PM »
Sorry Flashlab. I'm a big Street Fighter fan, so I hoped this version would have been good. I still remember playing SF2 on my A500 *shudder*.

Didn't the PS1 only have 2MB of RAM? I seem to recall that being a limit of the Net Yaroze for the same reason. Ridge Racer fitted in 2MB apparently, which is quite impressive I think. Wouldn't be over 4MB in any case. Take a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation#Technical_specifications

I digress. Anyway, I reckon CD32 could have pulled off a decent version, even if it meant cutting down on the detail. It's the fluidity and control of the action that matters most in Street Fighter games.
"OS5 is so fast that only Chuck Norris can use it." AeroMan

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:23:14 PM »
Well, seemingly there was a version (not for the CD32) prior to this, which had smaller sprites, and generally didn`t look as good, but played really well, like the coin-op. If i remember correctly it came on 12 floppys!!

Street Fighter 2 was the first game i played on my new A600 in 1993.  Still remember it like it was yesterday - That smell of new Amiga... (weep)

Offline SuperTurbo

• Show only replies by SuperTurbo
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »
I seriously doubt that the Amiga would not be capable of running a game like SS2T smoothly. Just look at Fightin' Spirit, large sprites and colorful detailed graphics running very fast and smooth even on an A600.... Actually, it's quite difficult to see the differences between the AGA and ECS versions. And yes, Fightin' Spirit has a "turbo" mode as well...
\\"I´ve got the flag!!\\"

Offline Flashlab

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:22 AM »
The technical specs of the PS1 mention 2Mb of system ram, 1Mb of video ram and 0.5Mb of sound ram. So effectively it has 3.5Mb of ram where the CD32 has 2Mb. Couple that with a faster cpu and gfx chipset there you have your answer.

@Tension

SF2 TNC plays like a real SF2 game but it has as you say smaller sprites and has a degraded look. For me SF2 is about immersion too. The level of detail in the Arcade version is translated really well in the SNES version. All the little details really gives the game a polished feel missing in any of the Amiga versions.

@SuperTurbo

Fightin'Spirit is a really impressive game, I agree. But still to me SF2 on the SNES feels more polished. If only that team had access to the SF2 franchise; they could have made a version that may have been more worthy to the Amiga. If they would have taken a 1200 with 030 and 4Mb of fastram as a minimum system that would have rocked!

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »
The ps1 also had 1mb of dedicated video Ram and half a megabyte of sound memory both of which are of great benefit in cases as such.
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
@Flashlab

Dude....your crazy. but seriously...load up Fightin Spirit and then load up Elfmania.  Fightin Spirit looks really good and has better resolution than the SNES SSF.

Take that and look at the Smoothness of Elfmania,   now obviously it was that both of these game programmers just didn't have all it takes to make their games complete.

if you combined the Fightin Spirit programmers with the Elfmania programmers.........you would get a Better than SNES SSF2 on an ECS Amiga!  Now add AGA and you got a Killer.

I used to live closeby GAMETEK headquarters (makers of Super Street Fighter 2 TURBO for the Amiga)  let me tell you........these people SUCK at conversions (although not as bad as USGOLD)  ... You can see that the CD32 version looks wayyy better than the SNES, but sucks bigtime in gameplay because GameTek programmers arent that bright, or they just wanted the SSF2T name to sell a game. My SNES owning friends who are SSF2 fanatics admitted to me the CD32 version is definitely way better looking, but the game sucks.

this was because of the sounds lacking and the cheap framerate.

.....its already proven the Amiga can do it with the right team.

again...look at Fightin Spirit, and Elfmania paying attention to the technical trickery and you will see that its possible if both technologies were combined....(Elfmania is only 64 colors but looks like AGA by the way.....just like Ruff-N-Tumble. Also the Elfmania Sprites are large! probably larger than the SSF2 characters in the SNES version..............on top of that the Game only runs in PAL! if you could run it in NTSC mode or if it was made to run in NTSC it would run smoother!  not only that..but if you look at the SNES version, the top and bottom of the screens are cut off for a speed boost!  the Amiga Versions are really large at top and bottom..........had they left out all that and made it the same screen size, things would have ran smoother.

I live my Amiga life even to this day proving to my former SNES owning friends that the Amiga can do it. I recently got into a debate with my cousin about what the Amiga can or cannot do compared to the SNES.

I show them stuff like:

Gaurdian and World OF Commodore Demo for their STARFOX
LionHeart for their ACTRAISER (http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=2007769&sec=IMAGES)
Bubble & Squeak/Zool2/KidChaos for their SUPER MARIO WORLD
X-Treme Racing for their F-Zero
Elfmania/Fightin Spirit/ShadowFighter for their SSF2

I show this to prove that technically the Amiga can do it..even though all the SNES games I mention are more complete and more fun than the Amigas attemtps............this is simply because NINTENDO japanese programmers know how to entertain and make use of gfx, better than most countries.

so in other words.........if Nintendo made the same games for Amiga that they made for the SNES and did it themsleves using the same programmers...........the Amiga versions would be the same or better.

this is usually the case for Amiga games that attemp to make a same type game as the SNES as to why they are not as good...........its because the programming team doesnt have a complete team of talent needed. not at all that they suck........but they are missing personel......quality control if you will.

By the way....check out Pinball Fantasies on the SNES........Garbage!   why?  because Digital Illusions or whoever ported it, didn't know SNES the way they knew Amiga....certainly a SNES can pull off a great looking Pinball Fantasies if it can Do Killer Instinct!

Also look at Chaos Engine/Soldiers Of Fortune on SNES.....again......trash!

this proves my point......its a matter of the worng programmers or lazy programmers.

I wish someone would do Supermario Today on the ECS Amiga......just one level...........the same for World Heroes and SSF2  ....not to sell it but just for show. One Playable level is all I ask. :-) and of course do it better to be that much ahead of the competition to show that the Amiga can do it and more.

EDIT:

Also look at Mr NUTS (Sonic The HedgeHog Speeds) and Brian The Lion (For those SNES style Map SCALING effects) and the Obitus (Psygnosis) intro and map zooming effects.

all these games I have mentioned show some of the technical trickery that the SNES games used quite alot. They named them fancy names like SCALING and Mode7 haha.

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...