Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is a GENLOCK still useful in today's world?  (Read 4341 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Is a GENLOCK still useful in today's world?
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:16:54 PM »
For me, in the 1980s early 90s, making funny movies with my friends, an Amiga equiped with a Genlock was always the holy grail of gear.  However, back then Genlocks were always out of my price range.

Now everyone is getting rid of their genlocks for $35, etc.  I can finally afford one!  Tempting, but probably only for nostalgic reasons, I think.

So...is there any reason, in today's age of digital video, to purchase a Genlock?  Does it still have its uses, or is it just a waste of money (i.e. I should just do all my video titling, effects overlays, etc. in a modern PC editing program)?
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Oli_hd

• Show only replies by Oli_hd
Re: Is a GENLOCK still useful in today's world?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:43:55 PM »
Does it still have its uses, or is it just a waste of money (i.e. I should just do all my video titling, effects overlays, etc. in a modern PC editing program)?

It still has a use, for starters its easier to title a video using a genlock than it is to digitalise it and then analog-ise :) it
You can also do some cool shots mixing 3D lightware stuff with real life vids (an x-fighter flying over the croud at a fair) but people just dont like them any more and now most Amiga's are RTG most cant use Genlocks so the price is bound to go down.

I have to say although I own a Genlock I never found a cool program to make use of it, they were all just so grown up. :)

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »
Not really much use unless you have some old media you want to  deal with.  Genlocks are so last century....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »
Is your video feed live-to-air? It's about the only time I'd even think of using a genlock. My advice, spend the $35 on something better ....like playing EVE-Online or smoking grass.  :-D
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Ral-ClanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:30:16 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  Good for overlaying graphics in a live situation, but for doing video effects for DVD, etc., software has killed real-time-analogue.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »
I use a Hama 292 as an S-video converter (for WinTV input or a beamer), just 8€ on ebay.

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
Hi,
I don't like the output of titling made on pc these day, so I use my miga with Scala  ;-)
And also, I use my A1230+Genlock with DVD so I can add any comment or banner on any video played without recompilation.

Can you do this on a PeCee ??  :lol:
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

Offline SamOS39

• Show only replies by SamOS39
    • http://amigaknight.tk
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
I supose live broadcasting  :-?

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:53:14 PM »

ral-clan wrote:
So...is there any reason, in today's age of digital video, to purchase a Genlock?

Well, does 'fun' count anymore in today's stuffy world of digital standards? I even have a genlock for my CDTV, and it's one heck of a blast using it compared to anything running on a clone.

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 09:23:56 PM »
 I think someone have the same idea:

Use it as an "A520" with S-VHS output...
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

Offline Krusher

• Show only replies by Krusher
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 09:37:19 PM »
I remember having a borrowed genlock to make a wedding tape, the people I did it for still watch it  :-D

When I get me an Amiga again, I'll be sure to get a genlock too. Remember, Amiga's are the match made in heaven for video purposes  :-P

I only wish the Toaster was PAL compatible.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »
@ral-clan

Are TurnTables Useful in today's world of Comapact Discs??????

Ask a DJ that question and he will SMACK YOU across the face and say:  Are You nuts? of course they are........try DJing with a CD Mixer......or PC software.....it ant the same!
(ral-clan...im not trying to be rude here towards you)

The same goes with an Amiga Genlock.......especially the SuperGenSX (Probably one of the Best Genlocks ever made)

Genlocks are absolutely esential for anyone wanting to do Video.......with Amiga or not.............Digitalizing sucks! and takes wayyyyy more time.........with a genlock you just fade it on instantly....and you can do things live!  like Amiga Karaoke if you have MP3 karaoke songs or a CD32 with an SX-1 or SX32 pro and a genlock.....where you can charge people to do a Karaoke Video of them at a Bar or some club.......add to that a ChromaKey+  and your hooked up as good as any Mac or PC today.

My Mac and PC owning friends are scrambling to be able to do Video as easy and instantly with their Machines as I do it with my Amiga.

Continually I learn here on Amiga.Org that you can't listen to everyones opinion all the time...........many times their opinions are based on lack of usage or non experience or perhaps not having creative tendencies with Video (wich is ok...not everyone can have the same talents)

but trust me............with SCALA MM300 and a genlock and preferably alot of RAM (128mb or more)  you cant do Cool wipes and animation overlays and you can even Jam LIVE with Music Videos and mix them on the Fly at clubs with the SuperGen SX's Video Faders...Just like a DJ uses his mixer to Jam and mix songs quickly!  This is what I do by the way!  

I will be posting Videos on YouTUBE soon then you will know why you need a genlock. On top of that it gives you S-Video Out and converts Composite to S-Video as well as S-Video to composite.

@Oli-HD
I have to say although I own a Genlock I never found a cool program to make use of it, they were all just so grown up. :)

Dude!  SCALA, SCALA, SCALA............subtitles, Credit Overlays........credits and gfx overlays for your YouTUBE videos................Song Lyrics at church (fade halfway with an animated background to have the lyrics overlayed on Motionbacks/jumpbacks. and most importantly VeeJaying.

Amigas are still one of the Best machines to VJ live with...today in 2008!

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline ami_junki

• Show only replies by ami_junki
    • http://www.cd32gamer.info
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 02:35:21 AM »
Wow you got me convinced, I have never used a genlock but I dj in japan so this sounds like it might be something worthwhile with my amiga at events!  Scala and a genlock you say?  Might have to ask you some more about that mate.

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 03:37:17 AM »
The Amigoids with Genlocks will be the only ones able to reach the populace when the digital social controls go into effect.  The "Trusted Computing Platform" will ensure that only sanctioned activities can be performed on "your" computer, and the AT&T Alliance will ensure that only authorized transmissions are able to cross the Internet.  No dissent will be tolerated.

But the lone Amigan, whose computer will by then have been deemed illegal because it cannot be guaranteed to be "safe," with his or her Genlock will have the ability to create new and inventive communications to stimulate the mind and return society to a free-will empowered, free thinking world which it once was.

This is the story as told by Jones.  Only Amiga makes it possible.

:crazy:

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 06:56:59 AM »

LoadWB wrote:
The Amigoids with Genlocks will be the only ones able to reach the populace when the digital social controls go into effect.  The "Trusted Computing Platform" will ensure that only sanctioned activities can be performed on "your" computer, and the AT&T Alliance will ensure that only authorized transmissions are able to cross the Internet.  No dissent will be tolerated.

But the lone Amigan, whose computer will by then have been deemed illegal because it cannot be guaranteed to be "safe," with his or her Genlock will have the ability to create new and inventive communications to stimulate the mind and return society to a free-will empowered, free thinking world which it once was.

This is the story as told by Jones.  Only Amiga makes it possible.

:crazy:

AHMEN !!!!!!  :laughing:   :roflmao:  
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D