Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga to PC file trans..  (Read 2097 times)

Description:

Offline Jpan1Topic starter

• Show only replies by Jpan1
Amiga to PC file trans..
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Festive hello to All Amigans!

I would like to back up my Amiga music and Gfx files to a pc> specifically to use the with PC music and GFX software.

Question is that my files are on amiga HD and if I stick this 2.5hd into an external case and plug it into the USB port on my PC (I don't have a parrallel port) is it possible to extract the neccessary file onto a PC hard drive?

I really would like to use Octamed music files on my PC and some of my old Dpaint stuff and re work them.

what the best option?
Regards>

Offline Hodgkinson

• Show only replies by Hodgkinson
    • http://www.myspace.com/em_radiation *****and ***** www.booni.info
Re: Amiga to PC file trans..
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:08:00 AM »
Errrm, not sure about that. There might be a problem with the fact that your HDD is formatted for your Amiga, and your USB controller won't have a clue what's its looking at!

The best way for transferring files is to link the two machines together with a network, keep an eye out for a 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA network card - There's Amiga drivers for them and they work great!

Other possibilities are CrossDOS (I assume your already aware of this...), parallel or serial link with one of those USB adaptors (From what I've heard the adaptors aren’t all that reliable...); and then there’s a Subway to allow you to use USB on your Amiga.

Merry Christmas,
Hodgkinson.
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame:

Offline DigitalQ

• Show only replies by DigitalQ
    • http://digitalquirk.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Another option is a SCSI Iomega zip drive.  You can read and write PC-formatted zip disks with CrossDOS or other similar utility, and these days is a very cheap way for mass backup of your Amiga stuff.  

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 03:35:12 PM »
And my personal favourite method is the external SCSI 2GB Jaz drive :-)

Merry Xmas :pint:
A4000 Mad

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »
Thanx for the tips!
I am looking at getting a CF card for the Amiga Pmcia port.
It's a shame not more hardware produced utilizing this port,,, then perhaps I could do wireless transfer to my PC laptop if that was possible on a humble 1200!

Offline Hodgkinson

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »
Im sure Amigakit had wireless PCMCIA network cards in at some point...

The only snag with wireless networking is that actually encrypting the network and locking it down whilst still being able to use your A1200 is nigh on impossible to any decent degree.

Hodgkinson.

EDIT: Ah, yes they were available:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=21&products_id=121&osCsid=6172225b004b3bc595a587b59ffacf55

And they might come around again some day.
Main A1200D: WB3.0, 3.1 ROMs, 2GB HDD, Blizzard 1230IV (64MB RAM + FPU) and a whole load of custom heatsinks... :flame:

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
Hmm..Seems that there are a few possibilities but I guess the easiest option without spending too much on adapters and cables would be preferable.
If I rememeber I have a 4way buffered IDE interface in the Ami and I could write files to a CD with a CD writer.
But still think a connceting a the 2.5 drive to an external case would be the best.
Cheers!

Offline Hodgkinson

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:12:46 PM »
Connecting a CD-Writer shouldn't be too much of a problem (Though I haven't actually done this myself...). It might require some buggering about with long IDE leads and power splitters/extensions to make it possible, though.

If you're thinking of transferring files on a regular basis, Id still go down the network route. Although, for some reason I find pulling files from a PC onto the Amiga to be far far far faster than pushing them back the other way. But that might just be a foible of my setup having 3 hubs and 50m of networking cable in between the Amiga and PC.

Hodgkinson.

Offline ptek

• Show only replies by ptek
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »
You can take your 2.5" Amiga formatted HD and plug a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter and plug into a PC IDE socket.

Now, under WinUAE you can mount it. Piece of cake :)
Onions have layers ...

Offline derringer3

• Show only replies by derringer3
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 06:55:46 PM »
@ Ptek and everyone: True, but you must add ind the line of winuae: winuae.exe -disableharddrivesafetycheck

No you can mount it. (because if it not empty, winuae stops it.)
Amiga 500: 68030@14MHz/68882@40MHz/ 5.5MB RAM/80MB HDD/Delfina FE Sound card/Kickstart 3.1/OS 3.1

Macmini 10,1 PPC 1.58GHz, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD 5400rpm, Ati Radeon 9200/32MB, , MorphOs 3.1

PowerBook 15" PPC 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GB HDD, ATI 9700/128MB, MorphOS 3.1

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »

DigitalQ wrote:
Another option is a SCSI Iomega zip drive.  You can read and write PC-formatted zip disks with CrossDOS or other similar utility, and these days is a very cheap way for mass backup of your Amiga stuff.  

WTF! No no no this would require to buy a scsi for your amiga then get one for the pc .. stress with cables terminators etc.not worth it. I would get a PCMCIA to CF card asuming you have a 1200\600... And use a card reader on the pc side dirt cheap and reliable... Other option is a paralell zip and modify a cable for the amiga side.. SCSI is a big no no unless it is a cdwriter as this is not stock on normal PC computers..
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline adonay

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »
you dont need to enable that to "READ" the drive only to change the drive ... I use this option all the time i would know ... I also format and partition drives in WINUA that require  -disableharddrivesafetycheck.. But this is not a good way as you have to open the amiga 1200 every time disconnect the hd, remove the cable, Plugg into usb-ide adapter, connect cable and reverse this for otther way around
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline DigitalQ

• Show only replies by DigitalQ
    • http://digitalquirk.ca
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 12:12:37 AM »

adonay wrote:
WTF! No no no this would require to buy a scsi for your amiga then get one for the pc .. stress with cables terminators etc.not worth it. I would get a PCMCIA to CF card asuming you have a 1200\600... And use a card reader on the pc side dirt cheap and reliable... Other option is a paralell zip and modify a cable for the amiga side.. SCSI is a big no no unless it is a cdwriter as this is not stock on normal PC computers..

Huh?  SCSI cards are cheap and usually easy to come by for A2000/A3000/A4000's, and are a good investment because they open many new possibilities for the Amiga.  Some sidecar options for machines like the A500 include SCSI.  

I picked up a SCSI Iomega zip drive from the local thrift store for $5.  It has built-in termination which can be switched on and off, and I have no idea what you're talking about with "Cable Stress" because connecting it was very stress-free.  I picked up a huge box of brand new, shrink-wrapped zip disks for practically nothing, and got more than I'll ever need.  If anyone's interested, I'll sell 'em for a buck fifty a piece.

Not only is it a nice way for transferring files, it also provides you with a backup of the files you've transferred if you keep the zip disks intact.

Offline adonay

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »
@DigitalQ

Dont forget that this was on an amiga 1200 (i think as he mentioned 2.5" drive) Also he wanted to get the files to pc something that require a older SCSI card for that as well or a newer UW one with the right adapter and termination.. That beeing saied i agree that a SCSI zip is a good value product and cheap these days "check ebay 5£" But if he does not have a SCSI controller on the amiga it may be better to buy a easy adf or what ever for transfering to CF card ...
A1200 ACA 1230

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Managed to copy files via a null modem cable
(from Maplins - lots of wierd and wonderfull stuff there)
and TwinExpress software.
It was quicker than I thought at the old baud rate of 9600!
(BTW - I packed the files using lha. to save time during the transfer)
However, although the emulated Amiga works well, I still prefer using the real Amiga for Dpaint and stuff!
So cheers and a Happy New year!
>> :-)  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>